Steff

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 09:48 AM)
Perhaps you missed it in the article.. but if your cat has a collar and tags - which is should - then you have nothing to worry about.

including any domestic cat that isn't under the owner's direct control or any cat without a collar QUOTE]

The first part statement literally says that ANY outdoor cat (tags or not) not directly under an owner's control is fair game. Perhaps the journalist botched that statement to mean "any cat without a collar and tags," but that's not what the article says.

including any domestic cat that isn't under the owner's direct control or any cat without a collar QUOTE]

The first part statement literally says that ANY outdoor cat (tags or not) not directly under an owner's control is fair game. Perhaps the journalist botched that statement to mean "any cat without a collar and tags," but that's not what the article says.

The solution is to have a collar, and tags, on your cat. I understand it fine and the second part of the statement clearly states that a cat with a collar will not be targeted.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 09:48 AM)
No, it's not!  Read the freaking article!

Ever heard of an "outdoor cat"?  They're not the same thing as a "stray."

It came from your condescending rhetoric.

You keep quoting this...

Residents in 72 counties were asked whether free-roaming cats — including any domestic cat that isn't under the owner's direct control or any cat without a collar — should be listed as an unprotected species. If listed as so, the cats could be hunted.

...but it doesn't support your arguement.

domesticate

do·mes·ti·cate

2 : to adapt (an animal or plant) to life in intimate association with and to the advantage of humans

It doesn't mean "house pet"

It doesn't mean "outdoor pet"

A "stray" is domesticated.

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 09:56 AM)
the second part of the statement clearly states that a cat with a collar will not be targeted.

Perhaps it could inferred that way but, legally-speaking, that's not what it says.

Take-home message: Don't move to Wisconsin if you own a cat.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 10:54 AM)
Unless they're microchipped, as my cats are.  There's nothing irresponsible about that.

A cat outside without a collar is against the law.. microchipped or not. Just the same as dogs without collars and tags.

IMO.. it's irresponsible. A collar costs $2 bucks.. if you're going to pay the $40 for the shot the least an owner could do is put the tag on. They surely don't make them and hand them out for no reason.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 09:44 AM)
When someone tries to push legislation to allow someone to legally MURDER my pet, I feel that I have the right to call that person an "idiot backwood hick."  Perhaps you feel that you're "above" that.  But I already know that you're not a better person than I, so I don't really give a rat's ass about what you think. :finger

:crying :crying :crying :crying :crying

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 10:57 AM)
Perhaps it could inferred that way but, legally-speaking, that's not what it says.

Take-home message:  Don't move to Wisconsin if you own a cat.

Or follow the law and make sure they have a collar.

QUOTE(mreye @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 09:56 AM)
domesticate

do·mes·ti·cate

2 : to adapt (an animal or plant) to life in intimate association with and to the advantage of humans

It doesn't mean "house pet"

It doesn't mean "outdoor pet

A "stray" is domesticated.

So, I guess that wild birds are "domesticated" as well, since they visit the bird feeder in my backyard and nest in the trees that I planted on my property?

Like wild birds, feral cats are not "in intimate association with... humans." By definition, "feral" means "not domesticated."

Edited by TheBigHurt35

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 09:58 AM)
A cat outside without a collar is against the law.. microchipped or not. Just the same as dogs without collars and tags.

IMO.. it's irresponsible. A collar costs $2 bucks.. if you're going to pay the $40 for the shot the least an owner could do is put the tag on. They surely don't make them and hand them out for no reason.

In my town, it's required, by law, to have tags.

QUOTE(mreye @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 11:00 AM)
In my town, it's required, by law, to have tags.

I'm pretty sure it's a fine anywhere to not have an outdoor cat tagged. Mine are indoor cats but we have their tags on them just in case they ever get out.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 09:59 AM)
So, I guess that wild birds are "domesticated" as well, since they visit the bird feeder in my backyard and nest in the trees that I planted on my property?

They're on their way to being. Why do you think they don't want you to "feed the bears?" They don't want them to become domesticated.

Same reason you should take down your humming bird feeder before it gets too cold. If they stick around, instead of migrating, they will die in the cold.

QUOTE(mreye @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 11:04 AM)
They're on their way to being. Why do you think they don't want you to "feed the bears?" They don't want them to become domesticated.

Same reason you should take down your humming bird feeder before it gets too cold. If they stick around, instead of migrating, they will die in the cold.

s***.. I left that momma duck bread this morning.. they are going to hang around my house all spring and summer aren't they...?

QUOTE(mreye @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 10:04 AM)

Feral cats are, by definition, NOT domesticated.

feral: not domesticated or cultivated, having escaped from domestication and become wild

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 10:06 AM)
Feral cats are, by definition, NOT domesticated.

feral: not domesticated or cultivated, having escaped from domestication and become wild

Did I miss the part about feral cats in the article?

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 10:05 AM)
s***.. I left that momma duck bread this morning.. they are going to hang around my house all spring and summer aren't they...?

She'll be having her babies in your flower garden. :D

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 11:10 AM)
If a cat is not domesticated, it's feral by definition.  Most stray cats either are or soon become feral.

If they are ever cared for by humans I think they are always considered domestic... no?

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 10:16 AM)
If they are ever cared for by humans I think they are always considered domestic... no?

That's not necessarily true.

From Merrian-Webster online... (Link)

feral 2 a: not domesticated or cultivated, b: having escaped from domestication and become wild

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 11:18 AM)
That's not necessarily true.

From Merrian-Webster online... (Link)

feral  2 a: not domesticated or cultivated, b: having escaped from domestication and become wild

Gotcha..

Well.. I stick by my initial suggestion.. collar your cats if they are outside.