US Cellular Field is complete

southsider2k5

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 11:27 AM)
On ticketmaster, I don't see an area for scout seats...but I certainly believe you and will ask them next monday...good to know.

They, like the F&F seats (which have never been avaliable on TM) are obtainable via the Sox directly.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 10:44 AM)
I bet the people over at WSI are dissapointed because they're not getting their HR Porch. Thank God. That would've closed the open concourse up way too much.

I wouldn't assume the home run porch is dead. The story contradicts itself when it says the renovation is done while they are still changing the seats. The out of town scoreboard is going to be changed. I always assumed they were waiting until they erected the porch, because it would have to be moved.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 11:51 AM)
I wouldn't assume the home run porch is dead. The story contradicts itself when it says the renovation is done while they are still changing the seats. The out of town scoreboard is going to be changed. I always assumed they were waiting until they erected the porch, because it would have to be moved.

The seats changing wasn't a part of the big renovation plans. It was just something that needed to be done with time. The only reason that anyone noticed was because they changed colors. The renovations are done.

I hadn't heard anything about the out of town scoreboard though, what's that all about?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 10:51 AM)

I haven't heard anything about the out of town scoreboard. Also the seats was just a matter of time. I guess you could call it a renovation, but it really had to be done(even if the renovation didn't take place) because the life span of those seats were 15 years and it's coming really close to that time. I'm 100% sure that HR Porch thing is dead.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 10:57 AM)
The seats changing wasn't a part of the big renovation plans.  It was just something that needed to be done with time.  The only reason that anyone noticed was because they changed colors.  The renovations are done.

I hadn't heard anything about the out of town scoreboard though, what's that all about?

They changed the scoreboard because it was costing them too much to fix, and have that listed as part of the renovation. The seats are definitely part of the renovation, and have been advertised as such. JR was on the news the other day, and even he spoke about how nice the park will look with green seats. Personally, I couldn't care less about the color of the seats. The out of town scoreboard was listed early as something that was supposed to be replaced. All other electronic boards have been. When they changed the other boards I remember reading they didn't change the out of town board because of the planned deck in right, and that the board would have to be relocated. The fact that that board hasn't been updated leads me to believe that a deck in RF is still very possible. I would imagine they would have to get a sponsor to pay for it.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 12:12 PM)
They changed the scoreboard because it was costing them too much to fix, and have that listed as part of the renovation. The seats are definitely part of the renovation, and have been advertised as such. JR was on the news the other day, and even he spoke about how nice the park will look with green seats. Personally, I couldn't care less about the color of the seats.  The out of town scoreboard was listed early as something that was supposed to be replaced. All other electronic boards have been. When they changed the other boards I remember reading they didn't change the out of town board because of the planned deck in right, and that the board would have to be relocated. The fact that that board hasn't been updated leads me to believe that a deck in RF is still very possible. I would imagine they would have to get a sponsor to pay for it.

The teams announcement for the seat change said it was in addition to the other renovations.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...r_cws&fext=.jsp

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 11:16 AM)
The teams announcement for the seat change said it was in addition to the other renovations.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...r_cws&fext=.jsp

This is because the phase 5 renovations had already been announced and were in progress Maybe they had some funds left over, and decided to do it now. Changing seats whether it is to change the color scheme or because the other ones are worn out is a renovation.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 12:27 PM)
This is because the phase 5 renovations  had already been announced and were in progress Maybe they had some funds left over, and decided to do it now. Changing seats whether it is to change the color scheme or because the other ones are worn out is a renovation.

Call it what you like to, but it wasn't a part of the money and plans from the $60 million US Cellular sponsorship. That original point is that the renovations from the US Cellular money were used up on the five big renovations that have been done the last 5 years. The seats were something extra that was not a part of the this plan or from the money that paid for those plans. The seats were going to get replaced anyway as they only had a 10-15 year expected lifetime because of Chicago weather conditions, and it was a coincidence that their changing happened during the time of the US Cellular renovations.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 11:35 AM)
Call it what you like to, but it wasn't a part of the money and plans from the $60 million US Cellular sponsorship.  That original point is that the renovations from the US Cellular money were used up on the five big renovations that have been done the last 5 years.  The seats were something extra that was not a part of the this plan or from the money that paid for those plans.  The seats were going to get replaced anyway as they only had a 10-15 year expected lifetime because of Chicago weather conditions, and it was a coincidence that their changing happened during the time of the US Cellular renovations.

I'm not arguing with you, but the article says the changeover is complete, yet they will be changing the seats all year, and supposedly won't be done until opening day next year. That doesn't make sense. I'll bet you a beer that in addition to the color change, there will be other alterations to the seating sections of USCF. It may not be the so-called HR porch, but I do think they will increase capacity.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 10:51 AM)

Agreed about the seats. IMO, it won't really be "finished" until at least next spring. Why they decided issue this press release is beyond me.

:huh

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 12:46 PM)
I'm not arguing with you, but the article says the changeover is complete, yet they will be changing the seats all year, and supposedly won't be done until opening day next year. That doesn't make sense. I'll bet you a beer that in addition to the color change, there will be other alterations to the seating sections of USCF. It may not be the so-called HR porch, but I do think they will increase capacity.

I hope they do add back some capacity that they lost. They can sell every bit of 50,000 seats for the Cubs, Yankees, and Red Sox series, in addition to opening. I am not sure what they would do to add back now, but who knows. But I'll take your bet, because all indications seem to indicate that they are done with the big work. If it wasn't for the color change of the seats, no one would have ever known that was even happening.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 11:59 AM)
I hope they do add back some capacity that they lost.  They can sell every bit of 50,000 seats for the Cubs, Yankees, and Red Sox series, in addition to opening.  I am not sure what they would do to add back now, but who knows.  But I'll take your bet, because all indications seem to indicate that they are done with the big work.  If it wasn't for the color change of the seats, no one would have ever known that was even happening.

I agree. The seat were a planned change before the renovations. The reason they say the renovation are complete is because they are. The changing of the seats was necessary maintainence because of the life expectancy of the material not a renovation.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 12:35 PM)
Call it what you like to, but it wasn't a part of the money and plans from the $60 million US Cellular sponsorship.  That original point is that the renovations from the US Cellular money were used up on the five big renovations that have been done the last 5 years.  The seats were something extra that was not a part of the this plan or from the money that paid for those plans.  The seats were going to get replaced anyway as they only had a 10-15 year expected lifetime because of Chicago weather conditions, and it was a coincidence that their changing happened during the time of the US Cellular renovations.

You're right.. the seats changing was in the budget prior to the US Cell $$. It was in the '02 proposal.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 11:59 AM)
I hope they do add back some capacity that they lost.  They can sell every bit of 50,000 seats for the Cubs, Yankees, and Red Sox series, in addition to opening.  I am not sure what they would do to add back now, but who knows.  But I'll take your bet, because all indications seem to indicate that they are done with the big work.  If it wasn't for the color change of the seats, no one would have ever known that was even happening.

Yep. I hope they add some seating, but I don't even think that will happen. I don't know where they would. A Hr Porch would cost like 20 Million, wouldn't it?? I know it would cost big money and the seats were always a plan to change around this time when the stadium was built. Alot of people kept on complaining about wanting green and so they decided to change the color too with it so it's more enjoyable for those green fanatics. Unless the White Sox were to get sponsorship for their parking lots I guess(I don't know what else they could sell) they wouldn't have enough money for a HR Porch. If anything, you might see some different plants in the park next year or a different sprinkler system at most I'd imagine.

I always like the New Comiskey - even before the renovations..

I remember at the old park you couldn't see half the time because of the poles..it was cramped and uncomfortable.

Then the new park was built...no poles...spacious..comfortable (remember how great everyone thought it was in 1991?)

Then Camden Yards, Jacobs Field and wah..wah..wah...(stale..steep upper deck..blue seat..wah)...

Personally..these new retro parks are no longer unique..everyone is trying to outcharm the other.. To me U.S. Cellular is a combination of retro and modern which I think makes it a special ballpark.

It does look better with the changes. But I have been to many parks and think ours is one of the best (and one of the most underrated).

As the neighborhood improves - our park's image will increase as will attendance.

No one thought Wrigley was too great in the 1960's and 1970's until that neighborhood became Yuppieville.

I think the area around Comiskey will actually be much nicer in five years than the area around Wrigley Field now. :gosoxretro:

QUOTE(tony72 @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 06:35 PM)

I remember at the old park you couldn't see half the time because of the poles..it was cramped and uncomfortable.

Then the new park was built...no poles...spacious..comfortable (remember how great everyone thought it was in 1991?)

Then Camden Yards, Jacobs Field and wah..wah..wah...(stale..steep upper deck..blue seat..wah)...

Personally..these new retro parks are no longer unique..everyone is trying to outcharm the other.. To me U.S. Cellular is a combination of retro and modern which I think makes it a special ballpark.

It does look better with the changes. But I have been to many parks and think ours is one of the best (and one of the most underrated).

As the neighborhood improves - our park's image will increase as will attendance.

No one thought Wrigley was too great in the 1960's and 1970's until that neighborhood became Yuppieville.

I think the area around Comiskey will actually be much nicer in five years than the area around Wrigley Field now. :gosoxretro:

You summed it up perfectly. Once the neighborhood becomes great around it, they'll love the park. I already love the park. I think it's fantastic.

QUOTE(tony72 @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 07:35 PM)

No doubt. I'm excited about how the complete package is going to look once the green seats are put in place. Aesthetically (damn, I probably spelled that wrong), the most glaring flaws were the outer view of the upper deck, and after that was changed, the clashing of the blue seats. The FUNdamentals part was a nice touch.

I like the idea of ours being a combo of retro and modern. :cheers

If i ever buy those Scout seats or whatevr im selling all my tickets Buehrle is pitching in because i wont have enough time to enjoy them :lol: ..... But by the time i have enough money to spend that much money on baseball tickets Buehrle will prob be gone or slowed down at least.