Royals say they won't take the field

zach23

Heard on ESPN that Joe Randa and one of the K.C. GM said that if security is not tightened they won't take the field. Can't say that I blame them, after last night I feel embarrased for our team and city.

I don't live in Chicago anymore but I'm hearing that the fan that attacked the ump attended the Cubs game earlier in the day. He must have been well oiled by the 8th inning of the Sox game. Can anybody in Chi confirm if this is true or not??

Steff said that he had a Cubs hat with him. I haven't seen this anywhere else, but putting one and one together...

you CAN"T stop a fan from running onto the field, it is pretty damn hard unless you have security guards lined up like a baracade. there are simply too many fans to watch.

what they have to do is punish these people SEVERELY. you run on the field and it is an automatic year in prison. you attack someone while doing, add more to it.

security isn't the problem, you just gotta make an example out of someone.

Guest hotsoxchick1

well let kc go home and give them the forefit for the remainder games.....and another thing..when you say attack that makes it sound like he beat up the ump.. it wasnt an "attack" it was more like he went out there and touched him to get his attention........no physical fists or anything like that.........not that i approve but geez us lets not make it sound worse than what it really was.............and yes he did have on a scrub hat...so did some of his friends were he was sitting, all in scrub wear......

Guest wsc425

Greetings from homebase at O'Neill, all.

The Royals are wussy, little, no good players. They only win because they have a funky batting order and a lucky pitching staff.

Oh this is too funny.

Seems #4 was not only there with his fiance, but also with his future in-laws. He admitted to "celebrating" the Cubs victory earlier in the day - not clear if he was actually at the game or a bar or at home.

I bet this is one wedding where they will be asking for the deposit back.

I wonder if his boss saw him on the news this morning to see him getting put into the back of a squad car, covered in his own blood. :D

well let kc go home and give them the forefit for the remainder games.....and another thing..when you say attack that makes it sound like he beat up the ump.. it wasnt an "attack" it was more like he went out there and touched him to get his attention........no physical fists or anything like that.........not that i approve but geez us lets not make it sound worse than what it really was.............and yes he did have on a scrub hat...so did some of  his friends were he was sitting, all in scrub wear......

i would disagree on that HSC..it looked like he tried to tackle the ump..but the guy was about my size and he was taking on an ex marine that was about 6'3 , 240...not a smart move..the ump threw him like he was a little mosquito...

Has it been said yet if tonights game will happen? :huh:

now the GM for the royals is saying the same thing that randa or whoever it was said...that unless the sox prove to him that they have addressed this problem he wont let his team take the field...so they upped it to management now...be interesting to see what happens but im about 95% sure the game will go on as scheduled..

The Royals have a legitimate concern. Their last two games at the Cell have included attacks on on field personnel by people coming from the stands. If it happened to us elsewhere, you'd have the same concerns. KC's GM has to stand up for his on field people or else then he would be a "pussy ass."

By the way did they announce Gamboa's name?  Did people cheer him on at least before the game, the fans that do have class.

Gamboa is in the bullpen now, so I don't think they would announce his name. But I wasn't at the game, so I don't know.

Joe Randa should be beaned immediately by Garland tonight for acting like such a pussy. No one got hurt last night and he's being paid plenty of money to play baseball. There's plenty of other problems to worry about in the world today than whether or not Joe Randa feels safe playing 3rd base tonight.

If they don't want to play, forfeit the damn game instead of pussying out and talking about their BS fears on ESPN Radio.

Does anyone have proof that the idiot that attacked the ump was a Cubs fan?  Is it clearly stated in an article or something?  I'm getting s*** from some Cub fans and could use the piece of evidence to shut them up a little.

It was said in an interview last night on the 10 o clock news in Chicago. Plus people on this board who were at the game saw him with a Cub hat on, and the security holding it as they took him off of the field.

I have been looking for a link also, but haven't been able to find one.

Randa is almost as big an idiot as those clowns who ran onto the field. He threatened not to take the field??? Like many jocks, he likes to be in front of a camera with an audience. Does he think he runs baseball now? So that he can control whether or not games are to be played? Just shut up and play the game. No one was hurt, and the guy will be prosecuted. If he doesn't want to play big league baseball, I'm sure the Royals can find someone to take his spot.

The Sox need somebody to act as an enforcer on the team...When that fan ran on the field at Soldier Field, Mike Ditka came out of the huddle and gave the guy a clothesline that knocked him out...Carlton Fisk leveled a fan when crossing homeplate after his famous Game 6 homerun...Reggie Jackson pushed a fan to the ground on his way into the dugout after his famous world series homerun. If somebody had done that to the first guy last night, the other 3 would not have run on the field

Frankly, I too am embarrassed about what happened, say what you want about Randa being a pussy, but at school today here in New Jersey I heard from students, and 2 teachers, about how we Chicago-ans are stupid drunks that cant control ourselves. The Baseball tonight crew said Sox fans have put a black eye on chicago baseball. This whole situation is just a shame

Does anyone have proof that the idiot that attacked the ump was a Cubs fan?  Is it clearly stated in an article or something?  I'm getting s*** from some Cub fans and could use the piece of evidence to shut them up a little.

His finance was on TV saying so and he had a Cubs hat on.

Joe Randa should be beaned immediately by Garland tonight for acting like such a pussy.  No one got hurt last night and he's being paid plenty of money to play baseball.  There's plenty of other problems to worry about in the world today than whether or not Joe Randa feels safe playing 3rd base tonight.

that is an idea I strenuously disagree with.

How does intentionally throwing at someone take a stand against violence?

Players and other on field personnel are very vulnerable, they are watching the game, not watching their backs, nor should they have to. KC has a legit beef and it is a damn shame that they do.

One of the problems in the world by the way is the continued attempt to answer violence with violence, i.e., stating that someone should intentionally throw at someone. After that on field brawl was settled, what would be the message? To keep the level of violence up? You want to intentionally court a forfeit, have our players suspended, or endanger our team next time they are in KC?