Mad Cow disease on tape

KipWellsFan

http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/200...sbse050413.html

CBC News has uncovered U.S. Department of Agriculture video showing what USDA veterinarians feared might be two cases of mad cow disease in the U.S.

The official tests were negative. But CBC news uncovered documents showing key areas of the cow's brain, in both cases, were never tested.

Retired USDA scientist Dr. Karl Langheinrich says without those tests they will never be able to rule out mad cow disease. "It means you cannot make a diagnosis, a specific diagnosis," he said.

Next year the U.S. plans a major reduction in its BSE testing program from a high of 300,000 animals to just 40,000.

What a shock! More anti-American propaganda from CBC. I find it interesting there's absolutely no scientific basis for this accusation. :headshake

BTW, nice job of creating an inaccurate thread title, KWF. There might be a place for you at the CBC when you're done with college. :lol:

Edited by TheBigHurt35

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Apr 14, 2005 -> 10:54 AM)
What a shock!  More anti-American propaganda from CBC.  I find it interesting there's absolutely no scientific basis for this accusation. :headshake

BTW, nice job of creating an inaccurate thread title, KWF.  There might be a place for you at the CBC when you're done with college. :lol:

Scientific basis? The section of the brain that is usually infected was not tested? Video of cow f***ing seizing around.

Poor thread title I agree

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Apr 14, 2005 -> 11:04 AM)
Scientific basis?  The section of the brain that is usually infected was not tested? Video of cow f***ing seizing around.

You know, one of my cats has been acting strangely lately. But, since I refuse to kill him and analyze a sample of his brain tissue, I can't refute an accusation that he has Mad Cow Disease. :rolly

Agreed tha the FDA may have screwed up, but since the CBC made the veiled accusation, the burden of proof is on them. So far, they've produced a ton of speculation but not one ounce of scientific evidence.

This is nothing short of political payback.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Apr 14, 2005 -> 11:09 AM)
You know, one of my cats has been acting strangely lately.  But, since I refuse to kill him and analyze a sample of his brain tissue, I can't refute an accusation that he has Mad Cow Disease. :rolly

Agreed tha the FDA may have screwed up, but since the CBC made the veiled accusation, the burden of proof is on them.  So far, they've produced a ton of speculation but not one ounce of scientific evidence.

This is nothing short of political payback.

Okay, I can live with that answer. But I'm afraid the authorities will only do something once a few people drop dead, meanwhile Canadian cattle farmers are getting totally screwed for what is probably no reason.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Apr 14, 2005 -> 11:13 AM)
Okay, I can live with that answer.  But I'm afraid the authorities will only do something once a few people  drop dead

The cow was killed in 1997. If someone was going to be infected, it probably would've happened by now.

ALL cattle ranchers (Canadian, American, European, etc.) need to be more careful about what they feed their livestock. That's the first and most important step in stopping this disease.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Apr 14, 2005 -> 12:16 PM)
The cow was killed in 1997.  If someone was going to be infected, it probably would've happened by now.

ALL cattle ranchers (Canadian, American, European, etc.) need to be more careful about what they feed their livestock.  That's the first and most important step in stopping this disease.

I've got steaks in my freezer from 1997. Anyone want to come over for a nice steak dinner?

I'm kidding, folks. Really! :)

QUOTE(sec159row2 @ Apr 14, 2005 -> 12:22 PM)
what's the incentive for a rancher to call the gov'ment and say...  "hey, one of my cows is acting funny" ?????  the gov'ment is gonna come in and slaughter the whole herd...  rancher= out of business...  these ranchers hide all kinds of crap from the feds...

That's true. Then again, the rancher can avoid the problem by simply not feeding his cattle the ground-up remains of other mammals.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Apr 14, 2005 -> 11:09 AM)
You know, one of my cats has been acting strangely lately.  But, since I refuse to kill him and analyze a sample of his brain tissue, I can't refute an accusation that he has Mad Cow Disease.

You could hunt him in Wisconsin...