Cotts starting tonight

Cerbaho-WG

I hope he doesn't end up being the next Corwin Malone.

He is the anti-Corwin Malone. He gets K's by knowing how to pitch, not overpowering hitters.

in my mind, he is the key to the trade which make it bareable.

He is definitely holding his own right now.

I hope he doesn't end up being the next Corwin Malone.

He is the anti-Corwin Malone. He gets K's by knowing how to pitch, not overpowering hitters.

EXACTLY! This is what I wrote in my article last December about Cotts. He's an awesome LOCATION pitcher with a nasty spin on the ball. He's also patient on the mound, and he can handle pressure situations well.

Guest hotsoxchick1
I really hope so, the problem I have is that Valentine had already proven himself at that level.

i have a hard time letting joe go too mat................that part of the trade sucked.............big time....... :angry: :fyou kw for doing that.......he could have dumped malone instead.........

I really hope so, the problem I have is that Valentine had already proven himself at that level.

i have a hard time letting joe go too mat................that part of the trade sucked.............big time....... :angry: :fyou kw for doing that.......he could have dumped malone instead.........

with the control problems that Malone has had, I think Billy Beane wouldn't have done the deal without getting Valentine. He knows that with his budget, chances are he won't be able to resign Foulke and was giving himself another option just in case that eventuality happened.

i went on record by saying that i really didn't like this trade. but i was willing to give it a chance b/c of cotts ability. the koch vs foulke is a close to even trade. but the development of valentin and cotts is going to tell which side of the trade we got.

I'd much rather have a middle-of-the-rotation starter prospect than a closer prospect, especially since Cotts is a lefty. I wasn't happy about seeing Valentine go either, but the deal doesn't get done without putting him in ... Oakland clearly wanted and needed another closer prospect We drafted Ring and it's possible Marte can get there in time ... last nite's effort notwithstanding.

If the Sox are stupid for trading Valentine, then the Tigers are more stupid ... they shipped him back to the Sox for $25k after his control/command wasn't up to par last spring.

I pretty much agree with you on all points. I hated to lose Joe V, but if that is what had to be done to make the deal then so be it. I am still not 100% it was a great deal overall, but time will tell on that.

Don't forget that even though he does not bear the sexy 95 mph fastball we like closers to have, Ed Almonte does nothing but keep saving games in Charlotte.

I pretty much agree with you on all points.  I hated to lose Joe V, but if that is what had to be done to make the deal then so be it.  I am still not 100% it was a great deal overall, but time will tell on that.

Don't forget that even though he does not bear the sexy 95 mph fastball we like closers to have, Ed Almonte does nothing but keep saving games in Charlotte.

Hey Rex, what is the scouting report on Almonte. I have seen his impressive numbers for years now, and I am curious why he has never really gotten a shot at our pen?

It's said Almonte's changeup is as good as Foulke's ... but he doesn't throw as hard as Foulke ... Almonte's fastball touches 90 (maybe) and his slider needed a little more command.

I think he had one bad outing so far this year in Charlotte but he's saved a couple of games already, last nite was one, I think.

He's a good insurance policy if a guy like Gordon has arm problems. It's too bad he hasn't gotten a shot yet ... he turned 26 in December so he's a little long in the tooth for a prospect.