93 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you rather have at 3B?

• Joe Crede
    • Jose Valentin

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like them both, but Jose should not be the third baseman except to spell the regular. He wasn't that bad of an infielde at SS and has a good bat. He also brought some enthusiasm to the team. I think with the group we have this year Jose would have been in his best form. I like Joe Crede also. Glove wise he is one of the better ones and just needs to relax at the plate and concentrate on what he needs to do to be successful.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Apr 16, 2005 -> 02:34 AM)
I can't believe people are picking Crede. His defense at third is mildy better but his bat isn't. I'll take the lockerrom leader over an underachiever. I'm really stunned. THe way people want to bury past Sox players on this site is a big turnoff to coming here

No one is forcing you to come here.

Valentin sucks.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 16, 2005 -> 02:48 PM)
Joe Crede...if the Sox had a guy that could play against the LHP's then I could see making a case for having Jose at 3rd.

you realize Valentin hit only .226 vs righties last year anyway. my point remains that Valentin is good for nothing.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Apr 17, 2005 -> 03:47 AM)
Excellent point.

I'm not saying Crede sux or he won't work out, I'm just saying to say he might tbe better than Valentin and that things could be worse....well big f'kin deal. Valentin is no loner with the team for a reason, beacuse we're trying to improve,

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 11:34 PM)
I can't believe people are picking Crede. His defense at third is mildy better but his bat isn't. I'll take the lockerrom leader over an underachiever. I'm really stunned. THe way people want to bury past Sox players on this site is a big turnoff to coming here

I picked Crede but not because I dislike the job Jose did over the years for the Sox. Jose was a team leader and a fan favorite, but in order to upgrade and contend Jose was expendable. He is older and a far worse (not mildly) fielder and although a good source of leadership and some clutch rbi's was far too useless in other areas.

Crede's critics certainly are vocal but there is a core of fans who root for him because we've all struggled in life and know we would want our friends and family to be at our sides to share the good times as well as the bad. If Joe never becomes what we all expect I'll have enjoyed as stay here as much as I did Jose's. I find it much more discomforting seeing current Sox bashed. We all whine about the lack of respect from the local and national media. I see an awful lot of disrespect among those of us who claim to love the Sox.

THere is a school of thought that Jose's ddefense is not so bad which has been backed up by statistics. Not saying I agree or disagree with it but I was saying is that the difference is closer than one might think. Jose is much better with the bat than Joe though, I'm surprised that has been as disputed so much.

Its very close. I like Jose and wish him the best because I love the way he plays. But I gotta say Crede. I like his D and who knows, he still has upside if he can ever figure things out. I have a feeling Crede is gonna take a step this year and at this time next year this type of talk will be nonexistant and Crede will be looked at as a staple for a long time to come. Also, on a different note I'm kind of attached to Crede, I can hardly remember the time when I had not heard of him as a prospect. I just hate to see those guys leave.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 17, 2005 -> 04:54 PM)
Can you please explain why you felt inclined to start a thread on this?

If not, I'm going to merge it with another Crede thread.

Because you wouldn't hear about a hitting streak of 7 games from Frank or Paulie. Every sox article on the net or paper you read talks about his hitting streak. A couple of days ago they were talking about it increasing to 5. Whoop de doo!!! I find it ridiculous that they need to fish for positive things to say about his offensive ability.

QUOTE(Gldfinger5 @ Apr 17, 2005 -> 04:58 PM)
Because you wouldn't hear about a hitting streak of 7 games from Frank or Paulie.  Every sox article on the net or paper you read talks about his hitting streak.  A couple of days ago they were talking about it increasing to 5.  Whoop de doo!!!  I find it ridiculous that they need to fish for positive things to say about his offensive ability.

Maybe it's just me, but a seven game hit streak is pretty impressive...