4/17 Games

danman31

The Knights fell in 12 innings. The losing continues. They were down 3 runs going into the 9th. Borchard pinch hit after a leadoff single and grounded into a DP. Spidale hit a 3 run HR to tie it up though. 2-5, HR, 3 RBI, run, BB for Spidale. Phillips got rocked. Fields, Baj, Walker, and Smith kept the Knights in it before Munoz lost it. Box Score

Kannapolis scored 17 runs off 23 hits! Berry 2-5 with a HR. De Los Santos 2-6 with 3 runs. Ricks 3-5 with HR, 4 RBI, 4 runs. Hansen 4-6, HR, 4 RBI, 4 runs. Castillo 4-6, 2 2B. King 3-5, 2 HR, 5 RBI, 3 runs. Everybody managed a hit, 8 hitters managed 2 hits or more. Harrell got beat around, but good relief. Box Score

BARONS 4 Montgomery 2

W-Lubisich (2-0) L- Lockwood (0-1) Sv-Jenks (4)

Lubisich 5 IP 6H 2R 0BB 2K's

Lockwood 4.2 IP 8H 3R 2BB 4K's

Good- Chris Young hit a towering homerun over the light tower about 417ft shot. Rogo was 3-4 a double and 2 RBI. A great Defensive play made behind 3rd by Josh Feilds. Chris Young made an outstanding catch to rob Johnny Rayburn of a game opening triple. Corwin Malone threw 1 2/3 scoreless innings and is looking good. Bobby Jenks pickes up save #4 with an exciting 2 on 2 out battle with superstar Delwin Young Jenks Fanned him with 99 MPH Fastball.

Bad-Nothing about the game just concerns about Sweeney and now Josh Feilds who left today's game.

Notes Barons sweep 1st place Montgomery and now play Jacksonville in a four game series this week at the Met.

BHam, how does Reynoso look? He seems like he's doin' well right now, but I'd like a first-hand account.

And, uck -- Fields hitting in the .250's, Owens hitting at the Mendoza line, and Young hitting below it -- are those three overmatched? I know it's very early, but...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 17, 2005 -> 10:44 PM)
BHam, how does Reynoso look?  He seems like he's doin' well right now, but I'd like a first-hand account.

And, uck -- Fields hitting in the .250's, Owens hitting at the Mendoza line, and Young hitting below it -- are those three overmatched?  I know it's very early, but...

Reynoso looks good I seen him the last 2 days and he has pitched 2 scorless innings has a little bit of a control issiue but he did hit 92 on the gun with a great cutter nasty on Lefty's.

Feilds is more playing at the Met then being overmatched he has hit some rockets 2 hits friday's hit an absolute bomb to center feild on Saturday but he hit it to Center and while he hit 402 ft it was still 5 feet short of being a double and 12 feet from a homerun.

Owens, Young are looking better Owens I really like good ball player with GREAT speed

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 17, 2005 -> 11:44 PM)
And, uck -- Fields hitting in the .250's, Owens hitting at the Mendoza line, and Young hitting below it -- are those three overmatched?  I know it's very early, but...

Fields was hitting .368 2 days ago and has gone 0-8 in the last 2 games. That's no big deal.

Also, I don't see where the Sox get off putting Owens in AA. Last season in low A he hit .292 with a .714 OPS. Along with his .365 obp those are good numbers, but worthy of skipping a level?

Edited by danman31

I'm beginning to fret about Sweeney. I know he's 20 and in AA, but the Sox should have left him in Winston-Salem this year. I don't understand how anyone deserves a promotion after slugging a massive .379. He showed last year that his power might be sketchy at best with only 22 doubles in 500+ at bats. Normally a prospect can gain more power by turning his doubles into home runs, but it won't happen by starting out hitting 22 doubles. I think Sweeney should be put on a much slower time table, I really don't agree with the scouts here. When I saw Sweeney, he was lunging right at the ball which was sapping all of his power. He still has flaws to work out, and AA isn't the place to do it.

QUOTE(T R U @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 05:03 PM)
yessssssssss... Jenks at Closer

I really hope he makes it with us

If he threw 100 as a starter, I honestly expect him to throw something ridiculous like 102 MPH as a closer. As Baseball Prospectus said, it'll be a lot of fun to watch him regardless of the results.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 05:07 PM)
If he threw 100 as a starter, I honestly expect him to throw something ridiculous like 102 MPH as a closer. As Baseball Prospectus said, it'll be a lot of fun to watch him regardless of the results.

Well I just hope we hang onto this guy and he ends up on the big club as either a SP or CL because that would be awesome

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 06:03 PM)
I'm beginning to fret about Sweeney. I know he's 20 and in AA, but the Sox should have left him in Winston-Salem this year. I don't understand how anyone deserves a promotion after slugging a massive .379. He showed last year that his power might be sketchy at best with only 22 doubles in 500+ at bats. Normally a prospect can gain more power by turning his doubles into home runs, but it won't happen by starting out hitting 22 doubles. I think Sweeney should be put on a much slower time table, I really don't agree with the scouts here. When I saw Sweeney, he was lunging right at the ball which was sapping all of his power. He still has flaws to work out, and AA isn't the place to do it.

I know. I was thinking he was turning the corner late last season, but I'm not sure after the sluggish start in AA. It's early, but he's not the golden boy, that's for sure.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 09:27 PM)
I know. I was thinking he was turning the corner late last season, but I'm not sure after the sluggish start in AA. It's early, but he's not the golden boy, that's for sure.

Ryan before the injury was looking better hitting into the gaps in fact he was 3 out 4. The people I would worry about the most is Jerry Owens, Chris Young these guys are not ready for this level.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 03:21 PM)
Fields was hitting .368 2 days ago and has gone 0-8 in the last 2 games. That's no big deal.

Also, I don't see where the Sox get off putting Owens in AA. Last season in low A he hit .292 with a .714 OPS. Along with his .365 obp those are good numbers, but worthy of skipping a level?

Owens didn't looked overmatched in spring-training and power is not part of his game, OPS and SLG% are meaningless with respect to a player like Owens. You want to see him with doubles and triples, but his swing/approach is not geared for power. His game is speed and OBP. Many guys struggle the first month or so in a new league adjusting. This is nothing new and there's nothing that says he or Young wouldn't have had similar problems at Winston-Salem.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 09:27 PM)

Sweeney might be one of the 5 youngest players in AA in all the minors, you guys are harsh. He smoked everything against major league and AAA type pitchers all spring.

He's the last guy we should be worrying about, IMO...

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 02:16 PM)
Sweeney might be one of the 5 youngest players in AA in all the minors, you guys are harsh.  He smoked everything against major league and AAA type pitchers all spring.

He's the last guy we should be worrying about, IMO...

I know, I know, but to this day I'm still mad about the overhype given to him last spring. I still don't understand why you want to push a guy slightly beyond the extent of his abilities, wait till he catches up to the level, and then move him up just slightly beyond his abilities again. Would a month or 2 at Kanny last season and then another month or 2 in W-S to start this year hurt any?

QUOTE(danman31 @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 03:27 AM)

It's only been a freakin week!!!!!

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 09:55 PM)
It's only been a freakin week!!!!!

No kidding. Besides, if he can handle it, would you rather he spend an extra year in W-S or Kanny over the course of his minor league career or would you rather see him get more AB's in AA and AAA before they bring him to the majors? If he can candle it, physically and mentally, as he has shown, why the hell not?

QUOTE(BHAMBARONS @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 12:01 PM)
A sore hammy. Razor will keep him out around a week no DL is expected. This is only a precaution.

Looks as if Sweeney may be out for longer than a week, but as well as the Barons

are playing no need t rush him.

C