Ozzie vs. Frank, round one?

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 09:32 AM)
An unsolicited attack of a player who's not even in the area to defend himself...?

So you'd be ok with being called names without the means to defend yourself..?

It's almost like Ozzie can't deal with no drama around him. Winning isn't enough for him.. he's got to rock the boat.

Now tonight all the guys are going to be asked about is this bulls***. Not "Hey.. you're in a tie with Minnesota for the division lead" which is what should be the topic..

I don't view it as an attack myself, maybe that's where I'm wrong. If Frank comments on this situation, I think we both know what the result is going to be.

I don't think this is going to be an issue amongst the players at this point. If he was rejoining the team, then I could see everyone asking how is he going to fit back in.

Actually I just remembered a tidbit from Soxfest that might shine a little light on this. Saturday nite at the fest a few of us hung out with Ozzie Jr for a while, and listened to some of the stories he was telling about the teams his dad played on back in the day. One of the stories he told us was how Frank was a much better player when mad. He said many of the players used to say stuff to him before games just to get him pissed of and focused into the game. I guess they used to always bring when someone like Bonds or Griffey would have a big game, and then ask Frank what was wrong with him.

This might be more of the same from the Oz. This sounds like just getting him ready to go.

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 09:47 AM)
I don't view it as an attack myself, maybe that's where I'm wrong. If Frank comments on this situation,  I think we both know what the result is going to be.

I don't think this is going to be an issue amongst the players at this point. If he was rejoining the team, then I could see everyone asking how is he going to fit back in.

Did you miss the part of the article where Ozzie said "Frank was a big part of the bad attitude last year".. what exactly does that have to do with where he fits in when he comes back THIS YEAR..??

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 02:43 PM)
Well, that is true.

Frank has heard the same crap before from Manuel and others. He's risen to the occasion and proved people wrong before. Time to do it one more time.

You're right, but there is only so much he should be asked to take. If he doesn't fire back, I will have gained a TON of respect for him......more than I already have.

Ozzie f***ed up... But, let's not blow this out of proportion. Ozzie is Ozzie and Frank knows that as well as anyone. And, all Ozzie was doing was saying that the attitude on this team has sucked for 20 years and Frank has been a big part of the team for those 20 years, in fact, Ozzie admitted that he too was part of that. I don't expect Frank to respond to this crap. I do expect Ozzie to say nice things about Frank over the next couple days though.

Misc. thoughts from my perspective:

- I agree that I do not understand White Sox management's seemingly ongoing fixation with what went on in the past.

Having said that ...

- Nowhere do I see Frank Thomas being called any names.

- It is just a guess on my part, but I think Ozzie Guillen and Frank Thomas have a unique relationship ... a relationship that most of us would think is somehow strange, but maybe for them it isn't.

- Why are we assuming this will have a negative effect on winning and losing? Who's to say the players aren't sitting back and saying, "this is great, our manager is making sure the superstar knows he is one of 25 guys here". I mean, we really don't know how they are reacting ... or non reacting. This could be a total non issue to the 25 guys.

- One thing Guillen is emphasizing is open communication ... something's wrong, let's get it out in the open. Note he is talking about past problems, not current problems. It apears to me he is saying, hey, if we have a current problem let's talk about it as a team.

- It also seems he is quite willing to take personal blame if things go wrong.

I don't see this article as a huge deal.

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 09:49 AM)
Did you miss the part of the article where Ozzie said "Frank was a big part of the bad attitude last year".. what exactly does that have to do with where he fits in when he comes back THIS YEAR..??

I'm not in the clubhouse so I have no idea what Ozzie considered bad.

The team is doing well now without Frank. When Frank gets back, 2 people are going to be out of a job. Someone is off the 25 man roster and Carl or Dye or whomever become part time players. So much of what they've done has been everyone playing together, and winning together. Frank wants to win, he wants that ring, but in my opinion what's being said here is Frank is gonna have to be a team player and maybe be the one who rides the pine from time to time.

I think the general opinion is that when Frank gets back he's the everyday starter at DH, looks to me like Ozzie whether he is right or wrong has a different idea.

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 09:59 AM)
I'm not in the clubhouse so I have no idea what Ozzie considered bad.

The team is doing well now without Frank. When Frank gets back, 2 people are going to be out of a job. Someone is off the 25 man roster and Carl or Dye or whomever become part time players.  So much of what they've done has been everyone playing together, and winning together. Frank wants to win, he wants that ring, but in my opinion what's being said here is Frank is gonna have to be a team player and maybe be the one who rides the pine from time to time.

I think the general opinion is that when Frank gets back he's the everyday starter at DH, looks to me like Ozzie whether he is right or wrong has a different idea.

OK.. so what does all that have to do with last year and why would Ozzie feel the need to tell the media that Frank was a part of the attitude problem last year..??

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 10:02 AM)
OK.. so what does all that have to do with last year and why would Ozzie feel the need to tell the media that Frank was a part of the attitude problem last year..??

If Ozzie thinks he was a problem last year, he might think that unless he says something Frank will be a problem this year.

Ozzie says weird s***, and that's all I can think of.

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 10:08 AM)
If Ozzie thinks he was a problem last year, he might think that unless he says something Frank will be a problem this year.

Ozzie says weird s***, and that's all I can think of.

IF.. and IMO that's a big "if", that's the deal.. maybe he should talk to Frank about it and not the media.. I'm sure he's got his phone #...

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 10:10 AM)
IF.. and IMO that's a big "if", that's the deal.. maybe he should talk to Frank about it and not the media.. I'm sure he's got his phone #...

Not to split hairs, but we all know that Frank likes to ignore his phone, and not return calls.

Bruce Levine was on Silvy and Carmen just a little while ago and said this is being taken out of context...the Language barrier keeps getting Ozzie in trouble. Levine said he was there and said about Frank was Frank back in the day and couldn't wait to get him back in the "New" clubhouse...take it FWIW though... it is Levine after all...

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 08:48 AM)
Actually I just remembered a tidbit from Soxfest that might shine a little light on this.  Saturday nite at the fest a few of us hung out with Ozzie Jr for a while, and listened to some of the stories he was telling about the teams his dad played on back in the day.  One of the stories he told us was how Frank was a much better player when mad.  He said many of the players used to say stuff to him before games just to get him pissed of and focused into the game.  I guess they used to always bring when someone like Bonds or Griffey would have a big game, and then ask Frank what was wrong with him.

This might be more of the same from the Oz.  This sounds like just getting him ready to go.

Maybe it is. But Torborg or LaMont or Bevington never tried to piss Frank off through the press. Its a BS move by Ozzie, one that may set this team back. If it takes the team's focus off the task at hand, because you know they will all be asked over and over about it now, Ozzie should be canned. Now Frank's attitude had something to do with the team's performance. Funny how they were blaming the poor performance on his absence before.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 05:53 AM)
Intresting.......We shall see how this plays out, im sure Frank will have something to say........

I think Ozzie shoulda kept his yap shut on this one. Frank knows that Oz is in charge, he knows that Oz isin't some guy who showed up in Chicago yesterday and know that Oz knows his stuff. There was no reason to say something that might provoke Frank, at least not in the media. This would have been much better kept behind a closed clubhouse door. I'm not a big backer of Thomas but Oz should have paid him a little more respect than that.

Edited by NUKE_CLEVELAND

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 03:20 PM)
Bruce Levine was on Silvy and Carmen just a little while ago and said this is being taken out of context...the Language barrier keeps getting Ozzie in trouble. Levine said he was there and said about Frank was Frank back in the day and couldn't wait to get him back in the "New" clubhouse...take it FWIW though... it is Levine after all...

I used the language thing as an excuse for Ozzie before, not this time. He went on and on and had plenty of time to clean it up and all he did was s*** on it some more.

I just had a thought, I'm gonna start reading and listening to some of his quotes to the Latin media to see if there really is a 'language barrier'.

QUOTE(Nokona @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 10:35 AM)
In all reality, i think that the phrase was taken out of context.  Ozzie was just saying that everything's been bad lately and Frank was seen as the leader of said team.  He's saying that Frank did little to change that.

I'm sure it was... what is sticking with me is mentioning last year at all. It's the past.. let it go. I hate when crap comes up from the past. It has no purpose in the media. JMO..