Friday night lights..

Steff

Jim and watched this over the weekend.. hated, hated, hated it.

Hated the violence, hated BBT's bosses and the shady s*** behind the scenes. Hated the ending.. ugh.. I just hated it.

For those of you that play(ed) HS football.. is it really that rough?

I was a cheerleader at Richards when we went to state back in the '90's and I don't remember it being like that and we were pretty close with the team.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 10:59 AM)
I know when I played it wasn't that hardcore... then again my HS team always sucked ass....

Texas football is a whole different animal. I've never lived there, but I've heard and seen plenty about it. These people eat, live and breath this s***.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 10:08 AM)
Texas football is a whole different animal.  I've never lived there, but I've heard and seen plenty about it.  These people eat, live and breath this s***.

Right you are my man, and coming from the High School that I went to (Texas HS Football team of the 90's) I can tell you that football down here is above almost everything..

Now about that movie, it was completely false.. Yes, the story about Permian is true, but they way they depicted High School Football in Texas was all wrong.. There are no crazy ass wild parties with insane dads who come onto the field during practice and shove their son around.. If a player like Boobie Miles was on our team our coach would sit his ass out for the year and not even think about letting him touch the field if he had a knee injury like that..

For the most part, I think they just added a bunch of crap to make it interesting.. but the school is real and the story of the team is real.. Just not what the players were doing and all that s***..

Anyways, Football down here is life.. For our normal regular season games I think we would draw at least 20,000+ per game.. When it came time for playoffs and we played in the Astrodome, there had to have been at least 30-40,000+ people there per game.. Parents who live in our community who dont even have kids on the team come to the games.. Kids in HS who dont play football even come to the games, and this is on a friday/saturday night when there could be plenty of other things to do than go watch your high school football team play.. its huge down here

How many regular season games sell out, in advance, in Chicago? Games in our 8,000 seat stadium regularly sell out. The local news will lead with HS Football, ahead of Cowboys, Texans, and any other sports highlights. The local stations will all have cameras at the top half dozen games, the local sports radio station has part time reporters at every area High School game, that's 20-25 games with live updates.

McAllen has a population if 125,000 and 3 HS. We aren't nearly as crazy as some of the middle of nowhere towns with small populations. It's crazy fun.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 10:30 AM)
How many regular season games sell out, in advance, in Chicago? Games in our 8,000 seat stadium regularly sell out. The local news will lead with HS Football, ahead of Cowboys, Texans, and any other sports highlights. The local stations will all have cameras at the top half dozen games, the local sports radio station has part time reporters at every area High School game, that's 20-25 games with live updates.

McAllen has a population if 125,000 and 3 HS. We aren't nearly as crazy as some of the middle of nowhere towns with small populations. It's crazy fun.

Yeah where I live they just put up the 5th 5A High School..

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 11:30 AM)

I haven't been to HS games with regularity.. but I don't recall on regular season game ever selling out when I was in HS. There was always room for more.. (standing on the sidelines or on the track at each end of the field by the end zones). Is it true that people have season tickets for HS games down there..?

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 10:42 AM)
You guys have like actual seats..? We had bleachers.. as many could fit is how many were let in..  :huh

haha yeah, we have a stadium.. they just put in that new turf stuff last season

Most of the bigger High Schools sell season tickets. The main advantage is being assured of playoff tickets. Anything to keep any visiting teams from packing the stands. Have other states gone to sports specific PE scheduling? For example my son takes Tennis. You can sign up for year round specific sports training in PE. We did everything in the course of the year, here they are recruited into specific classes. And don't even think about being a 3-sport athlete. The football team may share you for one other sport, but almost never two others.

Did I mention the whispers of someone living in an apartment rent free so they could play for your public HS team??

One other think I wanted to ask.. do you guys down there hire special coaches for football..? Up here (when I was in HS and we went to state) the football coach was the male PE teacher..

Tex.. my one girlfriends daughter is 3 sport (basketball, vollyeball, and track). Is it different for girls down there?

This is the best picture I could find of the stadium, the seats across the field are empty pretty much because its a team from Houston, and the seats close are another team in our district.. The Stadium is like in a horshoe shape, with the open end leading to the field house.. I never got to play on that new turf, we had the old s*** that I still have scars from sliding across it and getting burns :angry:

0546.jpg

Yea, I drive by the Southlake Carroll Dragons Stadium every day on the way to work.

That is to say, your 2004-2005 NATIONAL CHAMPION Southlake Carroll Dragons. That place is big.

And their practice facility is all indoors. FOR A HIGH SCHOOL!

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 04:55 PM)
One other think I wanted to ask.. do you guys down there hire special coaches for football..? Up here (when I was in HS and we went to state) the football coach was the male PE teacher..

Tex.. my one girlfriends daughter is 3 sport (basketball, vollyeball, and track). Is it different for girls down there?

They do hire coaches just to coach. Their contract I think fits them into PE but that's all they do.

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 10:55 AM)

All of the football coaches were just football coaches.. they taught a regular class, but none of them were PE teachers..

Our head coach was the Athletic Director for the school and all he did was coach football and hang around the field house all day.. The coaches are serious business, they are always trying to bring in the best guys and what not.. its not just the PE coach from the Junior High moving up a level..

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 10:57 AM)
That is to say, your 2004-2005 NATIONAL CHAMPION Southlake Carroll Dragons

2003 5A Texas Bowl Championship Game

Katy 16 Southlake Carroll 15 :P

Ive driven by that place a few times too, their stadium looks a lot nicer than the one we played in

All i want to say about the story of Friday Night Lights is that it is awesome. I read the book many years before the movie came out, and the book is flat-out awesome. Steff, i know you probly won't wanna waste time reading the book now, but the book does the team and town more justice than the movie does. The movie is a bit juiced up. But overall the story is a great one IMO, and yes it's true. HS football is a HUGE deal in Texas.

To anyone who saw the movie and didn't appreciate it fully...i recommend the book if you have time.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 11:02 AM)
All i want to say about the story of Friday Night Lights is that it is awesome. I read the book many years before the movie came out, and the book is flat-out awesome. Steff, i know you probly won't wanna waste time reading the book now, but the book does the team and town more justice than the movie does. The movie is a bit juiced up. But overall the story is a great one IMO, and yes it's true. HS football is a HUGE deal in Texas.

To anyone who saw the movie and didn't appreciate it fully...i recommend the book if you have time.

Yeah I have the book, never read it though.. I more of a movie guy than a reader

QUOTE(T R U @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 05:01 PM)
2003 5A Texas Bowl Championship Game

Katy 16 Southlake Carroll 15  :P

Ive driven by that place a few times too, their stadium looks a lot nicer than the one we played in

Yep. That's the only game that they have lost in three years now.

Pretty amazing for Texas, at least from what I know of it.

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 11:55 AM)

Donna, TX high school just suspended a bunch of players for a freshman initiation that involved latex gloves and bending over. The coach tried to cover it up. When the School Board met to discuss firing him (duh), more people where there to voice their support. After all, they made the playoffs last year. :headshake They claimed the School Board was not showing support for the coach :headshake

Football coaches are recruited and some of them also teach an abreviated schedule with almost unlimited comp time.

As far as three sport athletes, it's the football coaches that drive much of this. They are under intense scrutiny to win games. They are interviewed a couple times a week, and more people can name the HS football coach than the principal. So they never miss an edge. Somehow teaching football year round to the team and supervising voluntary weight sessions, isn't actually practicing.