Friday night lights..

Steff

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 12:02 PM)
All i want to say about the story of Friday Night Lights is that it is awesome. I read the book many years before the movie came out, and the book is flat-out awesome. Steff, i know you probly won't wanna waste time reading the book now, but the book does the team and town more justice than the movie does. The movie is a bit juiced up. But overall the story is a great one IMO, and yes it's true. HS football is a HUGE deal in Texas.

To anyone who saw the movie and didn't appreciate it fully...i recommend the book if you have time.

I probably will now that you mentioned the differences. I didn't dislike the story.. I just really, really hated all the violence.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 12:17 PM)
Donna, TX high school just suspended a bunch of players for a freshman initiation that involved latex gloves and bending over. The coach tried to cover it up. When the School Board met to discuss firing him (duh), more people where there to voice their support. After all, they made the playoffs last year.  :headshake They claimed the School Board was not showing support for the coach  :headshake

Football coaches are recruited and some of them also teach an abreviated schedule with almost unlimited comp time.

As far as three sport athletes, it's the football coaches that drive much of this. They are under intense scrutiny to win games. They are interviewed a couple times a week, and more people can name the HS football coach than the principal. So they never miss an edge. Somehow teaching football year round to the team and supervising voluntary weight sessions, isn't actually practicing.

Wow.. just wow. But like you and TRU said.. it's a way of life. I guess if I lived there or saw it first hand I wouldn't be so shocked by it.

Do you guys have any idea what the % of HS players that go on to the pros is..?

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 11:21 AM)
Wow.. just wow. But like you and TRU said.. it's a way of life. I guess if I lived there or saw it first hand I wouldn't be so shocked by it.

Do you guys have any idea what the % of HS players that go on to the pros is..?

Not too sure but Eric Heitmann (Starting G for the 49ers) went to Katy High School, Ive only talked to him a couple times but I think I was a Freshman when he was a Senior

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 11:14 AM)
Yep.  That's the only game that they have lost in three years now.

Pretty amazing for Texas, at least from what I know of it.

Yeah when I was a senior we lost to Smithson Valley in the Semi Finals game, I think it was 24 - 20 if we would have won we would have played Southlake in the Title game..

What luck for me.. We win a state title in 2000.. I was on varsity 2001 and 2002 we didnt win, and the very next year after I graduate they win the State Title.. :crying

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 12:31 PM)
http://www.5atexasfootball.com/

Just for one division. And if a School Board ever allowed their HS to drop below 5A, they would be voted out  :D

My understanding is Indiana basketball is very close to this madness.

It used to be before they went to class basketball. It has fallen off a lot. They still produce a lot of players, but the madness isn't there anymore. A fun fact though, 7 of the 10 biggest gyms for HS basketball are in Indiana.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 11:31 AM)
http://www.5atexasfootball.com/

Just for one division. And if a School Board ever allowed their HS to drop below 5A, they would be voted out  :D

My understanding is Indiana basketball is very close to this madness.

Speaking of that site, if you go to the Greatest Games of 2000's Soxtalks own holds a place in history..

2002 Regular Season, Non-District: Katy 37 Humble 36 (OT)

Humble came into this game ranked #1 in the state (They were also #9 in the Nation), and sporting a 1-0 record. Katy jumped out to a 17-7 lead before Humble closed the gap in the 4th quarter to send the game to overtime. The Wildcats took a 36-29 lead in overtime, and Katy took the field. The Tigers came within one point after answering Humble's score, but elected to go for two, and the win, instead of tie with an extra point. Katy ran an option play and with a one handed catch on the pitch, Carl Slack (Me) outraced Wildcat defenders to the corner pylon for the game winning conversion.

another Interesting thing about that, Humble went on to go 9 - 1 and we played them again in the playoffs and beat them like 27 - 7.. How bad would that suck, your #1 in the State and Nationally ranked and you go 10 - 2 and lose to the same team twice

another Interesting thing about that, Humble went on to go 9 - 1 and we played them again in the playoffs and beat them like 27 - 7.. How bad would that suck, your #1 in the State and Nationally ranked and you go 10 - 2 and lose to the same team twice

Yea, tell that to Denton Ryan this year - one of the games was nationally televised on ESPN.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 11:17 AM)
Donna, TX high school just suspended a bunch of players for a freshman initiation that involved latex gloves and bending over. The coach tried to cover it up. When the School Board met to discuss firing him (duh), more people where there to voice their support. After all, they made the playoffs last year.  :headshake They claimed the School Board was not showing support for the coach  :headshake

Funny, the NY Times just had a story about a girls high school basketball team from Texas that went deep into the play-offs but fired the coach mostly because she was a lesbian....

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 02:58 PM)
Funny, the NY Times just had a story about a girls high school basketball team from Texas that went deep into the play-offs but fired the coach mostly because she was a lesbian....

Now it's coming out that more sports may be caught up in this at Donna. It's going to hurt their recruiting (oops, I mean) I don't think they will get as many transfers as they have in the past. Amazing how top athletes all of a sudden transfer to Donna or Sharyland and fill a starting hole in the lineup.

The worse initiation we had in High School was a jock covering someone's head. But the guy was an obnoxious jerk, and it was more in response to that. We also made the Freshman carry our golf clubs to the school bus after their first meet. I'm still trying to comprehend someone wanting to snap on the gloves. :headshake

Another example of HS football importance in Texas. MY girlfriend lives in a small town outside of Dallas. They are in need of a new HS ... I guess I should say, an additional HS. The main hold up? Yep, you got it. They'll have to split into two schools, therefore making the football team significantly weaker.