Bobby Fischer...

TheBigHurt35

Anyone else see the Bobby Fischer interview on ESPN's Outside The Lines? Wow... this guy has completely lost his marbles.

For those who didn't, here's a general synopsis (sorry, no link available): Mr. Fischer was befriended by the late Dick Schapp after he defeated Bois Spassky. However, Fischer later alienated Schapp, who was Jewish, by his anti-Semitic comments. (Ironically, Fisher's mother was Jewish and he was raised a Jew.) After being alienated by Fischer he remarked that, "Fischer doesn't have a sane bone in his body."

After spending 20 years out of the public eye, he played a rematch against Spassky in Yugoslavia in 1992, which violated federal law. Fischer later relocated to the Far East and, after 9/11, said the following on a radio station in the Philippines: "This is all wonderful news. I applaud the act. The U.S. and Israel have been slaughtering the Palestinians, just slaughtering them for years. Robbing them and slaughtering them. Nobody gave a s***. Now it's coming back to the U.S. f*** the U.S. I want to see the U.S. wiped out." Last year, Fischer was arrested in Japan for trying to use a revoked US passport. Instead of being deported back to the US, he was offered asylum by Iceland. The US government has filed tax evasion charges against Fischer, but it is unlikely that Iceland will extradite him.

Jeremy Schapp traveled to Iceland and attended the press conference for Fischer's arrival to learn more about his relationship with his father. Not surprisingly, Fischer turned the resulting dialogue into an anti-Semitic tirade, insulting Jeremy's late father and even calling him a "dirty Jew." When asked about his Jewish heritage, Fischer was in complete denial.

Ironically, Icelandic officials are now looking into prosecuting Fischer for hate speech.

Edited by TheBigHurt35

Yeah Fischer called Dick Schaap a "Jewish snake".

Regarding the "not having a sane bone in (Fischer's) body" comment...

I like how Jeremy said, "Well, from this press conference, I see no evidence that wouldn't support that opinion still."

Fischer was silently stunned.

Fischer = Bastard :fyou

Edited by knightni

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 01:26 PM)
This guy is definitely a few fries short of a Happy Meal -- being prosecution for a chess game?  He played chess -- its not like he did anything criminal while there.  Is Fischer even worth the effort to bring him back?  Thought not.

What Fischer did would be analagous to one of us taking a vacation in Cuba. He broke the law. Plus, he's committed tax evasion.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 03:35 PM)
Oh yeah, by the way Bobby you ARE jewish.

I don't get how just because you were born to a religion you are forced to be that religion the rest of your life. A religion is something you believe in, not a physical trait. I hate that people always make that mistake.

For the record, he was friends with Schaap from age 12, before he beat Spaasky. Also, he shaved his beard for the press conference in Iceland.

Edited by danman31

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 02:26 PM)
This guy is definitely a few fries short of a Happy Meal -- being prosecution for a chess game?  He played chess -- its not like he did anything criminal while there.  Is Fischer even worth the effort to bring him back?  Thought not.

He does have a mental disease or defect. It is interesting to me that real genius is on such a thin line with crazy. I played a lot of tournament chess, grew up during Fisher's battle against the Soviet Empire, and during the cold war, chess was a source of national pride for the Soviets, so Fisher's win was an epic battle. Kind of like Madagascar beating the Yankees.

The crime he committed in playing Spasky was violating an economic embargo. It seems a lot easier and saner to just revoke his US citizenship and be done with him.

If you polled all the great chess players and had them list the top players of all time, Fisher would be on everyones top 5 and probably at least half of the #1 spots. In the pre computer days when all analysis of opening theory had to be sweated out, he was masterful. His analysis during adjournments was incredible. It's sad that he is someone who deserves so little respect for his beliefs.