We have a new pope!

YASNY

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 12:03 PM)
I was thinking, how long would it take to get a reaction from you, and I was wrong, I thought it was going to be 3 minutes, not 4.

So why even post that in this thread? It makes no f***ing sense to me why you would do that. I don't get off on the NFL Draft, but you won't see me posting in that thread just to let you all know that I don't care about it. I stay away. It is beyond me why people that don't "get" something insist on letting everyone know it. Just like anytime a NASCAR thread is begun and here come the "Nascar isn't a sport...Drivers aren't athletes..." bulls***! Have some f***ing class and keep your mouth shut!

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 01:02 PM)
Actually if you want to be technical, they are both sins, and equally offensive in the eyes of God. (assuming that the AIDS was transmitted through "immoral" sex, which it is the vast majority of the time)

You're not accounting for 'propagation of error.' A wayward husband may indeed have contracted HIV through "immoral" sex out of wedlock, but what is the wife's sin that she must under penalty of her faith have unprotected sex with her HIV+ husband when the sin was not hers?

And honestly, you can rail in chorus with Ratzenberger about the evils of liberal church reform, but do you truly believe all sins are equal? Sex with a condom so I don't contract a deadly disease might as well be murdering someone? If you are refined enough to make the subtle distinction between the two 'evils', then isn't it selling God a little short to suggest He can't see such a difference?

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 12:05 PM)
Wikipedia's already updated their bio of Benedict XV with a reference to Benedict XVI.  Wow, that's fast!

I saw that. Pretty cool. If you click on pope, they've already updated that as well.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 06:00 PM)
The biggest hurdle to eithe an African or a Latin American Pope was that it would have likely ushered in some much needed serious debate on the Catholic stance against birth control in general and condoms in particular.  Instead, tens of thousands of people continue to die from AIDS in Africa every year for lack of education or access to condoms.

I can appreciate religious orthodoxy as much as anyone and yes there are core tenets at the heart of the Catholic faith, but this is a glaring example of how the Church remains hopefully and fattally out of step with the realities of modern life.

It's better to transmit HIV, get AIDS and die than to use a condom in the eyes of the Catholic God?

Nice to get this in, but I very much doubt that had anything to do with the choice. Most of the African and Latin American cardinals are conservative and unlikely to consider any change on condoms/birth control/sex doctrine.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 12:00 PM)
The biggest hurdle to eithe an African or a Latin American Pope was that it would have likely ushered in some much needed serious debate on the Catholic stance against birth control in general and condoms in particular.  Instead, tens of thousands of people continue to die from AIDS in Africa every year for lack of education or access to condoms.

I can appreciate religious orthodoxy as much as anyone and yes there are core tenets at the heart of the Catholic faith, but this is a glaring example of how the Church remains hopefully and fattally out of step with the realities of modern life.

It's better to transmit HIV, get AIDS and die than to use a condom in the eyes of the Catholic God?

Agreed that the Catholic Church's position on birth control is woefully lacking. And you're probably right regarding the Church's decision to select a Pope.

But I think that the greater problem in Africa lies in the attitudes of the men. Having sex with many women (i.e., cheating on your spouse) is seen as "manly" over there. Being married is almost a death sentence to most women, as they know that their husbands will visit prostitutes and that they will most likely contract HIV at some point. They know about condoms, but their use is frowned upon by much of the male population. IMO, their own lifestyle is a much greater problem than Catholic influence.

QUOTE(mreye @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 12:09 PM)
So why even post that in this thread? It makes no f***ing sense to me why you would do that. I don't get off on the NFL Draft, but you won't see me posting in that thread just to let you all know that I don't care about it. I stay away. It is beyond me why people that don't "get" something insist on letting everyone know it. Just like anytime a NASCAR thread is begun and here come the "Nascar isn't a sport...Drivers aren't athletes..." bulls***! Have some f***ing class and keep your mouth shut!

Thank you

QUOTE(mreye @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 01:09 PM)

I was joking with you. I'm one of the 60 million or however many that follow Martin Luther. If Lutheran's had a pope I wouldn't expect you to care either. But we don't need one and we live just fine.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 12:12 PM)
But I think that the greater problem in Africa lies in the attitudes of the men.  Having sex with many women (i.e., cheating on your spouse) is seen as "manly" over there.  Being married is almost a death sentence to most women, as they know that their husbands will visit prostitutes and that they will most likely contract HIV at some point.  They know about condoms, but their use is frowned upon by much of the male population.  IMO, their own lifestyle is a much greater problem than Catholic influence.

This part doesn't sound all that different from too many American men...

I'm only half-joking about that, unfortunately.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 12:13 PM)
Yeah, but they haven't updated Arinze's page yet.  He still "is widely considered to be a possible successor to the papacy".  Stop teasing the poor guy, geez.  :D

:lol:

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 01:09 PM)
You're not accounting for 'propagation of error.'  A wayward husband may indeed have contracted HIV through "immoral" sex out of wedlock, but what is the wife's sin that she must under penalty of her faith have unprotected sex with her HIV+ husband when the sin was not hers?

And honestly, you can rail in chorus with Ratzenberger about the evils of liberal church reform, but do you truly believe all sins are equal?  Sex with a condom so I don't contract a deadly disease might as well be murdering someone?  If you are refined enough to make the subtle distinction between the two 'evils', then isn't it selling God a little short to suggest He can't see such a difference?

I'm not identifying with anyone here. Please don't lump me in with the Catholics. I am just explaining how that stuff is interpreted.

And to answer the second part, sin is more than just an act of wrong doing. At the root of every sin is taking the leadership away from God, and how he has commanded you to live your life. It isn't how big or small the sin is, it is all about breaking away from God.

The bible also makes it clear that if you have committed one sin, you have committed them all.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 01:14 PM)
I was joking with you. I'm one of the 60 million or however many that follow Martin Luther. If Lutheran's had a pope I wouldn't expect you to care either. But we don't need one and we live just fine.

Don't need one? You mean you don't rate one. Sounds like pontiff envy to me. :P

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 11:57 AM)
This guy is 78 years old.  He wont be around that much longer, seems like they just wanted a stop gap in the vatican until one of the younger guys gets some experience under him.

Surely you're joking? This isn't the NFL draft. We aren't grooming quarterbacks here. The man is the leader of the Catholic Church. I simply can't believe the class some of you have shown in this thread.

To joke about sports is one thing, to joke about religion is quite another.

/remembers why I never spend time in this forum. Shame on me.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 01:24 PM)
Surely you're joking?  This isn't the NFL draft.  We aren't grooming quarterbacks here.  The man is the leader of the Catholic Church.  I simply can't believe the class some of you have shown in this thread.

/remembers why I never spend time in this forum.  Shame on me.

What was so horrible about what he said? Several Cardinals said the same thing? :huh:

This was Benedict XVI's short speech

Dear brothers and sisters, after the great Pope John Paul II, the cardinals have elected me - a simple, humble worker in the vineyard of the Lord.

``The fact that the Lord can work and act even with insufficient means consoles me, and above all I entrust myself to your prayers.

``In the joy of the risen Lord, trusting in his permanent help, we go forward. The Lord will help us and Mary his very holy mother stands by us.''

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 02:24 PM)
Surely you're joking?  This isn't the NFL draft.  We aren't grooming quarterbacks here.  The man is the leader of the Catholic Church.  I simply can't believe the class some of you have shown in this thread.

/remembers why I never spend time in this forum.  Shame on me.

I'm sorry; but, the first thing I thought of after reading this was, "I wonder what his time in the "40" is?"

I wish nothing but the best of luck to him in leading the Catholic church in a world that is slowly angling away from the church beliefs.

Here's to you Pope Benedict XVI.

:)

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 12:28 PM)
What was so horrible about what he said?  Several Cardinals said the same thing?  :huh:

Ok, I'll bite.

Pope Benedict is known as one of the largest advocates for traditional Catholic dogmatic teaching. This man is extremelly popular amongst the Cardinals and is admired for his intellegence, piety, kindness and so on. Could he have been elected by the Cardinals to guide the church during a time of much strife and interpretation, or was it, he was elected Holy Father and head of the Catholic Church to serve as "a stop gap in the vatican until one of the younger guys gets some experience under him?"

I'm done playing now. Don't even bother responding.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 01:38 PM)
Ok, I'll bite.

Pope Benedict is known as one of the largest advocates for traditional Catholic dogmatic teaching.  This man is extremelly popular amongst the Cardinals and is admired for his intellegence, piety, kindness and so on.  Could he have been elected by the Cardinals to guide the church during a time of much strife and interpretation, or was it, he was elected Holy Father and head of the Catholic Church to serve as "a stop gap in the vatican until one of the younger guys gets some experience under him?"

I'm done playing now.  Don't even bother responding.

I see where you're coming from. The new pope is obviously deserving to be pope. Who isn't when elected pope. Reports on this pope seem to say he's a real nice guy and it is a reward to him. I wouldn't be surprised if they got a younger guy whenever this pope dies either.

QUOTE(mreye @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 01:09 PM)

No offense WT.. but eye's got a point here. Some take this extremely serious.. can't there just be some respect for them and leave the "who gives a s***" comments from, at least, this thread..? :huh

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 01:38 PM)
Ok, I'll bite.

Pope Benedict is known as one of the largest advocates for traditional Catholic dogmatic teaching.  This man is extremelly popular amongst the Cardinals and is admired for his intellegence, piety, kindness and so on.  Could he have been elected by the Cardinals to guide the church during a time of much strife and interpretation, or was it, he was elected Holy Father and head of the Catholic Church to serve as "a stop gap in the vatican until one of the younger guys gets some experience under him?"

I'm done playing now.  Don't even bother responding.

No offense, but what he said is what other Cardinals said before the Conclave. It isn't disrespectful, it is a fact. So I assume you have issues with the Cardinals as well?

Oh and please don't tell me what to do. I am really not sure what your problem is, but it isn't a disrespect to the new Pope. As I noted previously, if he was good enough to be Pope JPII's advisor for so many years, I have faith that things will be okay (ie he will be a good Pope).

Edited by Queen Prawn

QUOTE(mreye @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 12:09 PM)

That's an awful lot of "naughty words" in a religious themed thread. :ph34r:

Rock on to the new guy! Hope he does some good, though I am not expecting him to be doing evil stuff. Kind of would go against the job, eh?