We have a new pope!

YASNY

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 02:52 PM)
FWIW, the priest that married my wife and I knew that we were co-habitating prior to our wedding (the obvious implication being pre-marital sex) and had absolutely no problem with it.

The church is hurtin for members in the US. They look the other way on many things as long as you attend and give. IMO.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 12:58 PM)
Serious question.  Do you honestly believe we will ever see the Catholic Church move towards the middle on issues like sex and sexuality?

Yes. At least when it comes to condoms. I think at some point they are going to realize that propogating a "culture of life" includes not spreading diseases (even if it starts slowly--i.e. letting married couples use them).

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 02:56 PM)
The church is hurtin for members in the US. They look the other way on many things as long as you attend and give. IMO.

Right you are. And American Catholics feel they are more with the times than the orthodox official coming from the Vatican. So why embrace continued elevation of the orthodox and very conservative version instead of pointing out that it may well be Rome that needs to come of age?

JMHO

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 12:58 PM)
I take Martin Luther's perspective like I said earlier, and I hope people respect that like I respect the pope.

To be honest, I hope the pope is a heck of a lot more, uh, diplomatic that Luther.

Ever read his stuff on the Jews and Women? Daaaaaaaaang.

I respect what he did, I'm just saying, Luther is not as central to Lutheranism as the Pope is to Catholicism.

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 01:56 PM)

Not to mention Canada, Europe, and pretty much everywhere outside of Central/South America.

My experience with Catholic Priests has been very positive. All of the ones I've met have been incredibly nice, reasonable men. We flat-out told the Priest that did our Pre-Canna (different than the one that married us) that we were co-habitating, engaging in pre-marital sex, and using birth control and he didn't think it was a big deal. He didn't even seem to mind me arguing with him over the merits of Natural Family Planning.

If the younger Priests that I've dealt with are any indication of the direction that the Catholic Church is headed in, I'd expect future Popes to be somewhat more tolerant towards pre-marital sex and birth control. IIRC, something like 85% of Catholics are using birth control. They can't afford to alienate intelligent, responsible Catholics for much longer.

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 11:55 AM)
Pretty amazing that they elected him being he was in the Hitler youth, although he was a reluctant member, who wouldn't say they were reluctant members in this day?

Still suprising.

But...long live the Pope!

-y2

The Hitler Youth was equal to the Boy Scouts here in America. The Media is just trying to stir the pot.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 02:31 PM)
Not to mention Canada, Europe, and pretty much everywhere outside of Central/South America.

My experience with Catholic Priests has been very positive.  All of the ones I've met have been incredibly nice, reasonable men.  We flat-out told the Priest that did our Pre-Canna (different than the one that married us) that we were co-habitating, engaging in pre-marital sex, and using birth control and he didn't think it was a big deal.  He didn't even seem to mind me arguing with him over the merits of Natural Family Planning.

If the younger Priests that I've dealt with are any indication of the direction that the Catholic Church is headed in, I'd expect future Popes to be somewhat more tolerant towards pre-marital sex and birth control.  IIRC, something like 85% of Catholics are using birth control.  They can't afford to alienate intelligent, responsible Catholics for much longer.

Yeah the experiences my parents and I have had with priests have been less than positive. One priest told my parents that since my mom was not Catholic, that any Catholics attending the wedding would be cast into the brimstone and Hellfire and all that jazz. My dad's parents didn't even come to his wedding because of what that priest said. Another priest after my grandmother died told us when the funeral was going to be and was an absolute dick to my entire family and I (he was the priest that a few months ago or so Southsider posted that article about him getting busted for embezzling funds from the church to the tune of a few $100k). And four years of Catholic school for me -- 'nuff said. :lol:

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 03:32 PM)
The media is only as liberal as its conservative corporate interests that own it.

So, Dan Rather and Mary Mapes were as conservative as Viacom and PBS is as conservative as the Republican-dominated Congress that funds it? You crack me up.

BTW, I'm sorry to hear about your family's run-ins with those misguided Priests. It's unfortunate that people like that represent the Catholic Church.

Edited by TheBigHurt35

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 04:23 PM)
The Hitler Youth was equal to the Boy Scouts here in America. The Media is just trying to stir the pot.

Well, from what I've read about that - I'm not so sure. I think it is important enough to note. He did a little more than just join the Hitler Youth, he fought for the Germans in 1944. He also supposedly deserted and spent a year as an American held POW.

QUOTE(winodj @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 04:51 PM)
Well, from what I've read about that - I'm not so sure. I think it is important enough to note. He did a little more than just join the Hitler Youth, he fought for the Germans in 1944. He also supposedly deserted and spent a year as an American held POW.

Apparently he never "faught". Got this from a friend via email so I have no idea where it's from or if it's accurate.. :huh

Ratzinger was born in Marktl am Inn, in Bavaria, the son of a police officer who was staunchly anti-Nazi. In 1937 Ratzinger's father retired and settled in the town of Traunstein. When Ratzinger turned 14 in 1941, he was required by law to join the Hitler Youth , but according to his biographer John Allen he was not an enthusiastic member. In 1943, at the age of 16 he was, along with the rest of his class, drafted into the Flak or anti-aircraft corps, responsible for the guarding of a BMW plant outside Munich. He was then sent for basic infantry training and was posted to Hungary, where he worked setting up anti-tank defences until he deserted in April 1944 (an offence punishable by death). In 1945 he was briefly held in an Allied POW camp. By June he was released, and he and his brother (Georg) entered a Catholic seminary.

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 03:55 PM)
Apparently he never "faught". Got this from a friend via email so I have no idea where it's from or if it's accurate..  :huh

Ratzinger was born in Marktl am Inn, in Bavaria, the son of a police officer who was staunchly anti-Nazi. In 1937 Ratzinger's father retired and settled in the town of Traunstein. When Ratzinger turned 14 in 1941, he was required by law to join the Hitler Youth , but according to his biographer John Allen he was not an enthusiastic member. In 1943, at the age of 16 he was, along with the rest of his class, drafted into the Flak or anti-aircraft corps, responsible for the guarding of a BMW plant outside Munich. He was then sent for basic infantry training and was posted to Hungary, where he worked setting up anti-tank defences until he deserted in April 1944 (an offence punishable by death). In 1945 he was briefly held in an Allied POW camp. By June he was released, and he and his brother (Georg) entered a Catholic seminary.

That's almost verbatim from Wikipedia, the free online encyclopedia. /themoreyouknow :lol:

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 03:37 PM)
So, Dan Rather and Mary Mapes were as conservative as Viacom and PBS is as conservative as the Republican-dominated Congress that funds it?  You crack me up.

BTW, I'm sorry to hear about your family's run-ins with those misguided Priests.  It's unfortunate that people like that represent the Catholic Church.

I said owners, Hurt, not anchors. There's a big difference there. And there is no denying the small group of controlling mass media interests that flood the air/radio waves and the news stands.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 02:52 PM)
FWIW, the priest that married my wife and I knew that we were co-habitating prior to our wedding (the obvious implication being pre-marital sex) and had absolutely no problem with it.

They offer pre-cana for couples that co-habitate (Brian and I are looking at take that pre-cana instead of the standard one).

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 04:22 PM)
I said owners, Hurt, not anchors.  There's a big difference there.

No, you said nothing about owners OR anchors...

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 03:32 PM)
The media is only as liberal as its conservative corporate interests that own it.

The political affiliations of the managers of CBS News mean nothing when the messages they deliver on air (via Dan Rather, Mary Mapes, and other journalists with strong liberal slants) clearly and consitently support one side of the political spectrum.

I don't see any correlation between the "conservative corporate interests" and the liberal anchors/television producers that they employ. Fox is known for owning the most conservative cable news channel in America, yet also spews out liberal programming like The Simple Life and The OC (and, going back many years, the then-controversial Married... With Children). Do you really think that the wealthy, conservative, Republican big-wigs that run GE are "down" with the homosexuality in Will & Grace? I'll bet that the vast majority are not.

Edited by TheBigHurt35

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 03:30 PM)
To be honest, I hope the pope is a heck of a lot more, uh, diplomatic that Luther.

Ever read his stuff on the Jews and Women? Daaaaaaaaang.

I respect what he did, I'm just saying, Luther is not as central to Lutheranism as the Pope is to Catholicism.

No he wasn't and he didn't want to be. Luther is the reason why there are so many other religions nowadays. After he put his 95 thesis on the door and broke off from the Catholics to form the Lutherans, many other religions came about. Luther was the founder of the Lutheran's.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 05:25 PM)
No, you said nothing about owners OR anchors...

The political affiliations of the managers of CBS News mean nothing when the messages they deliver on air (via Dan Rather, Mary Mapes, and other journalists with strong liberal slants) clearly and consitently support one side of the political spectrum.

I don't see any correlation between the "conservative corporate interests" and the liberal anchors/television producers that they employ.  Fox is known for owning the most conservative cable news channel in America, yet also spews out liberal programming like The Simple Life and The OC (and, going back many years, the then-controversial Married... With Children).  Do you really think that the wealthy, conservative, Republican big-wigs that run GE are "down" with the homosexuality in Will & Grace?  I'll bet that the vast majority are not.

Actually I did say something about ownership --

:)