Sox are last in OBP

Be Good

Wow Sox are last in OBP and by .20 points too. That shows how dangerous this team can really be when people starting getting on base and start hitting. We are 3rd in Homer's though, and 21st in runs scored. Shocking for a 9-4 team.

:gosox1:

QUOTE(Be Good @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 01:59 PM)
Wow Sox are last in OBP and by .20 points too.  That shows how dangerous this team can really be when people starting getting on base and start hitting.  We are 3rd in Homer's though, and 21st in runs scored.  Shocking for a 9-4 team. 

:gosox1:

Sound eerily similar to last year's team.

Ozzieball..............no.

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 01:01 PM)
Sound eerily similar to last year's team.

Ozzieball..............no.

it wasn't so much the numbers but the approach. last year, it was all-or-nothing swings. this season, you actually see them not purposely trying to hit the ball 500 feet.

when looking at the numbers, you'll notice every game is a close game. we aren't scoring 10-12 runs and then 1 and we aren't winning by 8 and then losing by 2.

unfortunately, a lot of dumb people are going to look at those numbers and take the same stance you took.

Scott Pods has missed a solid chunk of games so far and Frank is out. Scott Pods will produce very little power and Frank should be able to lead the team in OBP even if he is hitting in the .260s. I'm really not worried about it.

We're just plain sucking on offense. .245 team average is no good either.

The crazy thing is it's not just the walks....

The formula for OBP is [H+BB+HBP]/[AB+BB+HBP+SF]

The Sox have the most Sacrifice flies in baseball.

The Sox have the least HBP in baseball.

That combination with a terribly low walk rate, and an overall low average, spell ridiculously low OBP.

The good news is they have been getting the sac fly when they needed it in tight games. -- The one-run record isn't 6-1 by mistake right now. -- Even though the Sox overall OPS is low, they rank among the league leaders in IsoP. And I would expect us to finish the season in the top 8 there, (so much for small ball). We may not hit the ball much, but when we hit it, it goes a long way.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 01:37 PM)
The crazy thing is it's not just the walks....

The formula for OBP is [H+BB+HBP]/[AB+BB+HBP+SF]

The Sox have the most Sacrifice flies in baseball.

The Sox have the least HBP in baseball.

That combination with a terribly low walk rate, and an overall low average, spell ridiculously low OBP.

The good news is they have been getting the sac fly when they needed it in tight games. -- The one-run record isn't 6-1 by mistake right now. -- Even though the Sox overall OPS is low, they rank among the league leaders in IsoP.  And I would expect us to finish the season in the top 8 there, (so much for small ball). We may not hit the ball much, but when we hit it, it goes a long way.

The one positive I can see from this is we really haven't seen any of the hitters get hot. To be honest I could even make the case that most of them are in slumps. You could make the case for Everett, Iguchi and Konerko having strong years thus far, but aside from that everyone is producing below career levels. You know early in the season that hte odds are that average and production will go up and in turn OBP will as well.

It hasn't been pretty offensively thus far, but the Sox have gotten the key hits and little things done when necessary and as cheat says that is why they have the record they do, especially in one run games.

And like I've siad for a long time, this team will still hit 200 HR's. The difference is it is semi capable of scoring runs without the homer and while we haven't seen that much yet this year, we have seen it win a couple games.

As long as the staff keeps throwing the ball well, I'm not very concerned.