Guess those Drunken Moron were Flub Fans

JoshPR

Guess they were Drunken Bleacher Idiots who crossed town

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/ds...news/171nd2.htm

'Sad commentary for Chicago'

With Tuesday's chaos, reputations — of the Sox, their city and their fans — take a beating

Thursday, April 17, 2003

By Mark J. Konkol Staff writer

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The White Sox, their fans and their city were disgraced Tuesday when a fan charged U.S. Cellular Field and tried to tackle an umpire during a game with the Kansas City Royals. Internet message boards, sports talk radio callers and newspaper columnists on Wednesday ridiculed Sox loyalists, labeling them "South Side white trash" among other things.

But a Cubs fan did it.

Eric Dybas, 24, of Bolingbrook, was charged with felony aggravated battery and misdemeanor criminal trespassing late Wednesday, police said.

Dybas is a Cubs fan who had too much to drink Tuesday night, his girlfriend, Kelly Sherwood, told WGN-AM.

"Sometimes he drinks and gets like that, but nothing like (what happened Tuesday)," Sherwood said. "He's a Cubs fan ... that could be the problem." LOL!!!

Regardless, it's White Sox fans who are being called dirty after the eighth-inning attack on umpire Len Diaz.

Sox manager Jerry Manuel called it a "sad commentary for Chicago, at least for our ballpark."

The incident took place seven months after a father and son stormed the field and attacked a coach for the Royals.

And it came just three months before the Sox are to host the Major League All-Star Game. Concerns were expressed Wednesday about the state of security at U.S. Cellular Field and all other major league stadiums.

Sports marketing expert Mark Ganis told the Daily Southtown that one major league team president he spoke to Wednesday said Tuesday night's antics prove the Cubs have a better-behaved breed of fan than the Sox.

But at least two of the three other men arrested for running onto the field earlier Tuesday night, including one guy who lost his pants trying to outrun security, said they are "die-hard" Cubs fans.

Brothers Albert Skutnik, 25, and Tom Skutnik, 20, of the 4900 block of South Kolin Ave., and Jeffrey Adams, 25, of the 4200 block of South Albany were charged with misdemeanor criminal trespassing, police said.

The Skutniks, both Cubs fans, said they jumped the left- field wall in the seventh inning to "get the crowd going." " Dolts Idiots

I ran onto the field to cheer for the Sox. No harm done. What (Dybas) did was stupid. What I did was stupid, too, but I'm not there trying to hurt someone. I just wanted to get the crowd cheering," Tom Skutnik said.

For Albert Skutnik, his run on the field was pre-planned thrill-seeking.

"Some fans weren't pleased. But some enjoyed it up until that guy in the eighth inning. That guy's an idiot. We're not too bright, but what he did is straight-out wrong," he said.

"Apologies out to the fans who are upset. But no one (from the media) is calling me if it weren't for that guy in the eighth."

Adams couldn't be reached for comment.

Bad apples

Despite the negative national attention it brought, White Sox spokesman Scott Reifert said most people understand "four morons," and not the whole of White Sox fans were responsible.

"It's amazing what four morons can do, but I think people understand. Those aren't our fans. One ran out on the field during a key at-bat," he said. "Most people take it for what it is — a bunch of idiots who come out and spoil a game for more than 20,000 other folks."

A similar incident last September, when Alsip resident William Ligue Jr. and his 15-year-old son attacked Royals coach Tom Gamboa, didn't affect Sox fans' ballgame experience, said Reifert, citing an off-season fan poll conducted by the team.

Ligue is awaiting trial on aggravated battery and mob action charges. His son pleaded guilty to aggravated battery and mob action charges and was sentenced to five years of probation, 30 hours of community service and court-supervised participation in counseling and anti-drug and anti-gang programs.

Tuesday was the Royals' first game back in Chicago since that incident.

On Wednesday, White Sox officials increased security measures, placing four security guards on the field, two seated in chairs along the baselines, and increased ticket-checking efforts.

Baseball commissioner Bud Selig said he was extremely troubled by the assault.

"There is no place in baseball for such deplorable fan behavior, and we urge that the guilty parties be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law," Selig said.

Selig said baseball would re-examine security at all stadiums.

Chicago Ald. James Balcer (11th) said he will propose increased penalties for disrupting professional sporting events. The current fine is $100.

"We're looking at increasing fines — we're not sure how much — and possibly including jail time for people who run on the field," he said.

"They should be held accountable. You have to respect the field, respect the players and the fans around you. You have to respect this community."

As for giving Chicago a "black eye," Mayor Richard Daley said trouble inside the park isn't his trouble.

"I don't have any black eyes. That's baseball. Go talk to Reinsdorf. Don't talk to me."

U.S. Cellular, which recently purchased the stadium naming rights, also brushed off the melee as an isolated act.

"U.S. Cellular is fully committed to its relationship with the Chicago White Sox and does not feel this incident is a reflection of the organization, its fans or the city of Chicago," a company spokeswoman said in a written statement.

Finally printed proof.  Now to go reak some havoc on those damned Cub fans who jumped on their high horses about how great Cub fans were and how they would never ever do something so low class... :finger  :lolhitting  :bang

*sigh*... I posted this information yesterday... :huh:

Finally printed proof.  Now to go reak some havoc on those damned Cub fans who jumped on their high horses about how great Cub fans were and how they would never ever do something so low class... :finger  :lolhitting  :bang

Ah Steff you know the "I need a link" crowd. Until today there weren't any stories that had these tasty tidbits in them, that could be referenced on line :)

Ah Steff you know the "I need a link" crowd. Until today there weren't any stories that had these tasty tidbits in them, that could be referenced on line :)

Yeah, yeah, yeah... :P

Unfortunately, at this point the damage has been done. US Cellular has -- rightly or wrongly so (wrongly IMO) -- gotten the image of being an unsafe place to play, and it really doesn't matter what team that loser was a fan of.

So while it's nice that one of our own is not to blame for Tuesday's chaos, it really doesn't matter, as the public has already made up their mind.

I guess the Cub "fans" forgot about Chad Kreuter and Randy Myers :huh: .

Guest hotsoxchick1

the cubfan dumbass is in jail today awaiting on someone to post a 25,000 bond to get him out of jail..... (which is 10% of his total bond)...the lawyer was just on the news whinning about how he was drunk and made a stupid mistake.. im glad to see the states atty take it to the fullest limit on this ... the opposing lawyer thinks its being harsh on his client and thinks they shouldnt need to make an example of this kid...........f*** that.........burn his ass at the steak.. public stone him .... put his butt in the stockade or whatever it takes to make sure that every dumbass that comes to the park knows that jumping onto the field will not be tolerated........... :headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang :finger the stupid drunk scrub fan now sitting in jail...........