The New Pope...

HuskyCaucasian

As many of you know, Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger of Germany was elected to be the successor to Pope John Paul the II and has chosen the name Pope Benedict XVI.

A few months ago I came across the apocalyptic predictions of St. Malachy O Morgain.

I collected the following from a few sources, so if it doesn’t sound like the way I would write, it isn’t. I am copy and pasting. Let the record show, I read these sources BEFORE the election of the current pope and they have not changed since then. What follows is very simply quite astonishing.

Malachy O Morgain (1094-1148) was an Irish priest and seer who foretold the identities of 112 Roman Catholic popes, from the reign of Celestine 11 in 1143 to the present time and beyond. But not far beyond. According to St. Malachy, whose predictions have proven amazingly accurate so far, only two popes will succeed John Paul II. St. Malachy did not name the popes specifically, however Malachy included a single line in Latin identifying a characteristic of each pope that can be loosely interpreted, but his prediction of Pope John Paul II’s successor is almost amazing!

According to his biographer St. Bernard of Clairvaux, in his book "Life of Saint Malachy," the saint was known to have the gift of prophesy and had even predicted the exact day and hour of his own death. While in Rome in 1139, Saint Malachy is said to have gone into a trance and received a vision in which he foresaw all the popes from the death of Innocent II until the end of time.

John Paul II s successor is called "Gloria Olivae," or "glory of the olive." Traditionally, the olive branch has been associated with peace, but in both the Old and New Testaments it also serves as an emblem for the Jews. Putting the two together, some commentators believe that the reign of this pope will be a peaceful one during which the prophesied conversion of the Jews will take place. However, Malachy’s description may instead refer to St. Benedicts 6th century prophecy that a member of his order will lead the Church in its fight against evil just before the Apocalypse. The Benedictine Order is known by another name: Olivetans. The new Pope is Pope Benedict XVI.

Take from it what you want. But you have to admit that is rather interesting……..

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 07:37 PM)
Interesting, huh?

http://www.catholic-pages.com/grabbag/malachy.asp

You got me interested and i found this site that lists what that guy predicted and how alot of the popes were similar. And wasnt some Italian guy one of the guys people thought could win. I hope he doesnt get picked next time :unsure:

Didn't Nostradomus say something to the same extent, or is that priest the one that I would have heard say that? Details are fuzzy, but it seems like I have heard all of that before, and it seems like it was in connection to the 3rd antiChrist (the guy with the red turban IIRC).

QUOTE(whitesoxfan56789 @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 06:47 PM)
http://www.catholic-pages.com/grabbag/malachy.asp

You got me interested and i found this site that lists what that guy predicted and how alot of the popes were similar. And wasnt some Italian guy one of the guys people thought could win. I hope he doesnt get picked next time :unsure:

THat was one of my sources. How old is this Italian guy? I ask because the new Pope is 78 and I am giving him about 5 years to live. I may be wrong, but he is old and may not be around too long. So, if the Itialan guy is younger, he may still be alive when this pope dies and if he was a front runner now, he may be then as well.

QUOTE(winodj @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 07:49 PM)
Wasn't that Saddam Hussein or something?

Jack Van Impe predicted the apocalypse to be sometime in the late 1980s. But he's not Catholic so...

I'm trying to remember. I read all of that stuff while I was in HS, and have forgotten all but bits and pieces of it. My grandma was into conspiracy theories, and she used to have me read some pretty wild stuff.

• ENNIO ANTONELLI, 68, archbishop of Florence, Italy. A popular religious scholar in Italy. Loves the fine arts.

• ANGELO SCOLA, 63, patriarch of Venice, Italy. Popular among cardinals who want to return the papacy to Italy and prefer a tough follower of Pope John Paul's ideas.

two italians MSNBC said were frontrunners, both fairly young (well in papal years :bang )

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 07:51 PM)
I'm trying to remember.  I read all of that stuff while I was in HS, and have forgotten all but bits and pieces of it.  My grandma was into conspiracy theories, and she used to have me read some pretty wild stuff.

My brother honestly thinks that its all the fault of those FreeMasons.

From Wikipedia

According to Malachy, Pope Benedict XVI will be succeded by Peter the Roman. However, there is much debate about this. The last Pope, Peter the Roman, was added to the list in 1820, and does not appear in the original list. If this is the case, then Malachy intended Benedict XVI to be the last. On the other hand, others argue that Malachy did not indicate that he and Peter the Roman will be consecutive, and there may be more popes he did not foresee.

Mark 13

32“No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. 33Be on guard! Be alert[f]! You do not know when that time will come. 34It's like a man going away: He leaves his house and puts his servants in charge, each with his assigned task, and tells the one at the door to keep watch.

35“Therefore keep watch because you do not know when the owner of the house will come back–whether in the evening, or at midnight, or when the rooster crows, or at dawn. 36If he comes suddenly, do not let him find you sleeping. 37What I say to you, I say to everyone: ‘Watch!’ ”

I dont put much into these people who prophecy on knowing when/if the end of the world will come....

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 09:29 PM)
Mark 13

32“No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. 33Be on guard! Be alert[f]! You do not know when that time will come. 34It's like a man going away: He leaves his house and puts his servants in charge, each with his assigned task, and tells the one at the door to keep watch.

35“Therefore keep watch because you do not know when the owner of the house will come back–whether in the evening, or at midnight, or when the rooster crows, or at dawn. 36If he comes suddenly, do not let him find you sleeping. 37What I say to you, I say to everyone: ‘Watch!’ ”

I dont put much into these people who prophecy on knowing when/if the end of the world will come....

I was going to resist adding to this--but, damn, I couldn't! The Apostle Paul wrote most of his letters/epistles saying that the first generation of the church (i.e. the people first reading it) would experience the return of the Messiah in their lifetime--and he had to switch his tactics a little bit in his later letters.

Also, Mark (the earliest and my personal favorite gospel) was written around the time of the destruction of the second temple. Consequently there was a great urgency among the Jews (including the Jews that followed Jesus) that made it feel like the end was nigh. So, if you look at Mark that urgency really seeps through--pretty much Mark is one huge run on sentence (if you have an empty long afternoon count the number of "and"s in the book).

Every generation since Jesus has thought it would be the last--great tactic for scaring up believers. :)

What follows is very simply quite astonishing.

Not particularly.

According to St. Malachy, whose predictions have proven amazingly accurate so far

Says who?

John Paul II s successor is called "Gloria Olivae," or "glory of the olive."

So if the pope was the slightest bit concerned with peace or the slightest bit associated with any Jews or a Benedictine or named Benedict 16 then this prophecy works.

Not to mention that all the prophecies are KNOWN and therefore subject to being self-fulfilling.

St. Malachy probably made these predictions after a Mother Teresa in his tortilla spoke to him.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 06:16 PM)
As many of you know, Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger of Germany was elected to be the successor to Pope John Paul the II and has chosen the name Pope Benedict XVI.

A few months ago I came across the apocalyptic predictions of St. Malachy O Morgain.

I collected the following from a few sources, so if it doesn’t sound like the way I would write, it isn’t. I am copy and pasting. Let the record show, I read these sources BEFORE the election of the current pope and they have not changed since then. What follows is very simply quite astonishing.

Malachy O Morgain (1094-1148) was an Irish priest and seer who foretold the identities of 112 Roman Catholic popes, from the reign of Celestine 11 in 1143 to the present time and beyond. But not far beyond. According to St. Malachy, whose predictions have proven amazingly accurate so far, only two popes will succeed John Paul II. St. Malachy did not name the popes specifically, however Malachy included a single line in Latin identifying a characteristic of each pope that can be loosely interpreted, but his prediction of Pope John Paul II’s successor is almost amazing!

According to his biographer St. Bernard of Clairvaux, in his book "Life of Saint Malachy," the saint was known to have the gift of prophesy and had even predicted the exact day and hour of his own death. While in Rome in 1139, Saint Malachy is said to have gone into a trance and received a vision in which he foresaw all the popes from the death of Innocent II until the end of time.

John Paul II s successor is called "Gloria Olivae," or "glory of the olive." Traditionally, the olive branch has been associated with peace, but in both the Old and New Testaments it also serves as an emblem for the Jews. Putting the two together, some commentators believe that the reign of this pope will be a peaceful one during which the prophesied conversion of the Jews will take place. However, Malachy’s description may instead refer to St. Benedicts 6th century prophecy that a member of his order will lead the Church in its fight against evil just before the Apocalypse. The Benedictine Order is known by another name: Olivetans. The new Pope is Pope Benedict XVI.

Take from it what you want. But you have to admit that is rather interesting……..

That is very scary :o

QUOTE(CrimsonWeltall @ Apr 20, 2005 -> 12:13 AM)
Not particularly.

Says who? 

So if the pope was the slightest bit concerned with peace or the slightest bit associated with any Jews or a Benedictine or named Benedict 16 then this prophecy works.

Not to mention that all the prophecies are KNOWN and therefore subject to being self-fulfilling.

St. Malachy probably made these predictions after a Mother Teresa in his tortilla spoke to him.

they also said many of them were changed until the 1600's to better match up with the popes from his era until then

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Apr 20, 2005 -> 08:04 AM)
Hell people have been predicting the end of the world forever now... who cares. If the end does come there is nothing you can do about it anyway so live your life and why worry about it???

I hope the world spins long enough to see the white sox win the world series.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 06:16 PM)

You know why I don't pay any attention to "end of time" stuff? Its because if its baloney then I get to laugh at whoever said it for being wrong. If it turns out to be true.........guess what......nobody will be around to say "see I told ya so".

:D

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Apr 20, 2005 -> 07:23 AM)
There are, however, many historians that say that the prophecy foretold the end of the CHURCH, not the end of time.

Giddyup.

That's what i tend to believe as well. i take this whole thing with a grain of salt to begin with, but if I WERE to believe it, i woult believe it is the end of the church. I can easily see the church falling apart int he not to distant future especially if a pope is elected that leads the church in the wrong direction.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Apr 20, 2005 -> 08:56 AM)
You know why I don't pay any attention to "end of time" stuff?  Its because if its baloney then I get to laugh at whoever said it for being wrong.  If it turns out to be true.........guess what......nobody will be around to say "see I told ya so".

:D

If you flip a quarter a 100 times sooner or later it's gotta land on heads.