CREDE FOR MVP

letsgoarow

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(letsgoarow @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 10:30 PM)
nah i dont go to FSU.. i got to wcu... just a big fsu fan....

wow thats a lot of abbr...haha

Yeah I remember.

Kevin Martin I believe, drafted by the Kings in the first, WCU alum, even though he entered the draft after his junior year I believe?

"Sweep sends subtle message

Pitchers escape jams; offense breaks through first"

Joe Crede was the player who delivered the subtle jab, as he scored the second run of the fifth inning to break a scoreless deadlock. Crede was on third, after doubling over Torii Hunter's head in center to score A.J. Pierzynski, and moving up one base on Juan Uribe's sacrifice bunt. Scott Podsednik hit an offering from Minnesota starter Brad Radke (1-3) into medium-deep left field, where Shannon Stewart caught the ball in apparently good position to make a throw home.

Stewart's throw rolled well off the mark, but all Crede saw was catcher Joe Mauer sliding over to block home plate. As Crede crossed, he raised his left elbow and grazed the Twins' catcher. It didn't quite have the same impact as Hunter's torpedo job on White Sox catcher Jamie Burke during a game in Chicago late last July, but it did point up a certain hard-nosed determination.

"I was going on the feel of the play," said Crede, who answered "not really" when asked if he was trying to send a message. "It was a shallow fly ball and I'm not a fast runner. I knew Shannon had a decent arm and I saw Mauer was creeping over to block the plate.

"It was a situation where I was getting ready to slide but I saw him slide over to catch the ball and block the plate and I decided to stay up. If he's going to block the plate, I'm going to do everything in my power to get to the plate."

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Apr 20, 2005 -> 01:52 AM)
Look at his 2004 numbers and tell me why anyone should have thought differently.

Crede had a bad year in '04. No doubt about it. Then again, Paulie sucked in '03 and rocked in '04. You have to give a guy a chance.

Crede had a bad year in '04.  No doubt about it.  Then again, Paulie sucked in '03 and rocked in '04.  You have to give a guy a chance.

Yeah, but when did Crede ever really have a good year? He played only a third of a season in 2002 and he wasn't exactly great in 2003 either.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 20, 2005 -> 12:54 AM)
Crede had a bad year in '04.  No doubt about it.  Then again, Paulie sucked in '03 and rocked in '04.  You have to give a guy a chance.

KONG had one bad half a season in 2003 and everyone jumped on his ass demanding he be traded post-haste and look at him now. Crede has had 14 good games and everyone is jumping on the bandwagon. If he's still hitting like this in July and August then I'll be impressed.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Apr 20, 2005 -> 01:58 AM)
Yeah, but when did Crede ever really have a good year?  He played only a third of a season in 2002 and he wasn't exactly great in 2003 either.

How many times does this argument have to be made on this board. This s*** has been posted over and over again. Give it up. Crede's making you all eat crow and he'll continue to do so. Bon' appetit.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Apr 20, 2005 -> 02:03 AM)
KONG had one bad half a season in 2003 and everyone jumped on his ass demanding he be traded post-haste and look at him now.  Crede has had 14 good games and everyone is jumping on the bandwagon.  If he's still hitting like this in July and August then I'll be impressed.

I've been backing Crede all along.

How many times does this argument have to be made on this board.  This s*** has been posted over and over again.  Give it up.  Crede's making you all eat crow and he'll continue to do so.  Bon' appetit.

Nice response. Don't even try to answer my question. Yeah, I'm really eating crow after only 14 games. Get back to me with Crede's stats at the end of the season. Once again, when did Crede ever have a really good season?

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Apr 20, 2005 -> 02:10 AM)
Nice response.  Don't even try to answer my question.  Yeah, I'm really eating crow after only 14 games.  Get back to me with Crede's stats at the end of the season.  Once again, when did Crede ever have a really good season?

No. Crede has not a good solid major league season. Yet.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Apr 20, 2005 -> 02:28 AM)
If he sucks it up by the end of the season, will you eat crow?

Sure. But I've been right more than I've been wrong on these. I did eat a bit of crow because of Valentin last year. Yet in '03 when everyone was bashing PK and early last year, Rowand, I stood by them.

It ain't gonna happen though. :)

Edited by YASNY

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Apr 20, 2005 -> 07:10 AM)
Nice response.  Don't even try to answer my question.  Yeah, I'm really eating crow after only 14 games.  Get back to me with Crede's stats at the end of the season.  Once again, when did Crede ever have a really good season?

Crede has shown he's a solid major league player in spurts. Factor in what he did in the minors, and his solid defense at a tough to fill spot in the field, there's every reason to stick with the kid. The fact that he's had to make major adjustments in his swing [and has seemingly solved it--by Greg walker's words] bodes well for the Sox and Crede's future.

Crede's swing is still a big problem. The good thing is that he's improved on his approach. Unlike the past, he isn't digging himself into 0-2 counts by swinging at bad pitches and taking ones right down the middle. He's putting himself in good situations and is making the most out of it, and even though his swing still has issues, he's talented enough to overcome it.

The way he's going out with his at bats now, if he keeps this up, he'll have a solid season. If he fixes his swing to go with it, he can be a big surprise.