Texas bans gay parents.

Rex Kickass

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That has to be the absolute dumbest thing I have ever read. They would rather leave the kids in fosterage or wherever than let them go to a loving family. I'm on a business trip in Texas at the moment and I heard one or their politicians talking about this on the radio. He was talking about the bill and the reasons behind and said something about how kids raised by gay parents were like 10% more likely to be gay. I kept waiting for him to get to the point behind and I realized this was his point. Let's just deny the kid any kind of normal life growing up because of his moral objections.

QUOTE(RegionSox @ Apr 20, 2005 -> 08:37 PM)
He must think think there's these gay televangelists going around trying to convert everyone.

dude people dont just go around trying to force their beliefs on other people...

Edited by Reddy

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Apr 20, 2005 -> 08:58 PM)
But, IMHO, if a kid has gay parents he will be tormented all his life. Is it right? Of course not, but it will happen. I'm not sure where I stand on this issue..

That kinda makes it seem like the heterosexuals aren't being the good parents then, if they are breeding that kind of intolerance.

no he wont, i've known a kid with gay parents and no one ever said a thing... and i live in iowa, plenty of hicks around to 'torment' him

honestly, no one except his/her friends would even KNOW and one would assume the friends wouldnt do things like that therefore... not a huge issue

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Apr 20, 2005 -> 10:00 PM)
That kinda makes it seem like the heterosexuals aren't being the good parents then, if they are breeding that kind of intolerance.

It's just part of growing up. Middle schoolers are the meanest kids you will ever meet.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Apr 20, 2005 -> 09:00 PM)

whats the divorce rate again??????????

yeah hetero marriages are fabulous and teach great morals and... (i could keep going but you get the point)

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Apr 20, 2005 -> 09:02 PM)
It's just part of growing up. Middle schoolers are the meanest kids you will ever meet.

Then if they're going to get tormented anyway and we can't stop them it seems like gay parents aren't exactly the problem....

Plus, it's not like kids with gay or lesbian parents have to wear a shirt that says "My parents are gay." Sure stuff gets around, but really.

Honestly, I feel like a better answer is to address bullying and picking on people...

I'm honestly split down the middle on this. I can see both sides. I know I wouldn't want gay parents because I would be afraid kids would think I'm automatically gay. But on the other hand, it's not fair to discriminate like that. It would be like discriminating lefthanders saying they can't have kids. Sure it's totally different, but they both are 10% of the population.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Apr 20, 2005 -> 10:04 PM)
Plus, it's not like kids with gay or lesbian parents have to wear a shirt that says "My parents are gay." Sure stuff gets around, but really.

My parents are straight, but I had to wear the shirt...

Maybe that explains things....

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Apr 20, 2005 -> 10:07 PM)
I'm honestly split down the middle on this. I can see both sides. I know I wouldn't want gay parents because I would be afraid kids would think I'm automatically gay. But on the other hand, it's not fair to discriminate like that. It would be like discriminating lefthanders saying they can't have kids. Sure it's totally different, but they both are 10% of the population.

You also realize that in a situation where a divorce happens because one of the parents is gay, that it will make the custody battle that much easier for the straight parent to win... even if it was the straight parent who asked for the divorce or was abusive or showed him/herself to be unfit in another way.

This is fine as long as they ban common law marriages :rolly , single parent homes, etc.

This is a ban for foster parents, not adoptive parents, the way I understand it. On adoption, I don't like babies going to an adoptive gay couple, but an older kid that is harder to place - a "gay" home is better than "no" home. My opinion has nothing to do with gay or straight, but more to do with the fact that every kid needs, deserves a mother and a father. This from a guy that's never met his father.

Just my $0.02