Texas bans gay parents.

Rex Kickass

QUOTE(mreye @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 07:53 AM)
This is fine as long as they ban common law marriages  :rolly , single parent homes, etc.

This is a ban for foster parents, not adoptive parents, the way I understand it. On adoption, I don't like babies going to an adoptive gay couple, but an older kid that is harder to place - a "gay" home is better than "no" home. My opinion has nothing to do with gay or straight, but more to do with the fact that every kid needs, deserves a mother and a father. This from a guy that's never met his father.

Just my $0.02

Eye,

Maybe this wouldn't be such a big deal to me if this argument was really just about getting a kid a foster parent. The problem is that there is an agenda far more nefarious. Banning gay marriage wasn't really about gay marriage. It was about finding a way to legally codify discrimination. They take away the right to be a foster parent, and it will damage the ability to be a regular parent. You explicitly remove the right to marry, it becomes that much easier to discriminate against homosexuals in the workplace, in the housing market, etc.

Maybe you don't think its that widespread or planned. But I'll tell you this, three years ago - it was illegal to have sex with another consenting adult of the same sex in Texas.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(winodj @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 10:00 AM)
Eye,

Maybe this wouldn't be such a big deal to me if this argument was really just about getting a kid a foster parent. The problem is that there is an agenda far more nefarious. Banning gay marriage wasn't really about gay marriage. It was about finding a way to legally codify discrimination. They take away the right to be a foster parent, and it will damage the ability to be a regular parent. You explicitly remove the right to marry, it becomes that much easier to discriminate against homosexuals in the workplace, in the housing market, etc.

Maybe you don't think its that widespread or planned. But I'll tell you this, three years ago - it was illegal to have sex with another consenting adult of the same sex in Texas.

Let me be more clear:

I don't agree with this law. My first statement was meant to be read that I believe a single parent household, etc are far worse situations for a child than two loving gay people. Sorry for the confusion.