Garland turned the corner?

AddisonStSox

Now, I'm making this thread during the top of the second of tonight's game; so, if Garland tanks, you could blame it on me.

Having watched Jon pitch a little over two games, I've developed a level of confidence in young Jon that I never had previous to this season. He has looked nothing short of spectacular.

I'll be the first to admit I've been hard on Jon in the past and that, of course, was for a couple of reasons. First, I was bothered by his California-cool and lack of tenacity on the mound. I felt he pitched with no emotion on the mound, and although that could be very dangerous for a pitcher--especially a young one-- I felt he needed to get pissed out there. Second, I was driven near the brink of insanity with his inconsistency. One outing he looked fantastic, and the next he got lit up in the second inning. That said, I think the single most motivating factor for my frustration with Jon had to do with his immaturity. When he was blaming others for his misfortunes on the mound, I lost a great deal of respect for him...this happened on more than a few occasions. Top all of that off with amazing projections coming out of the minor league system and you had reason for frustration.

He just seemed to flirt with greatness out there and was never able to make that final push. This year, I have taken a complete 180 on him. In fact, I think I have a higher level of confidence in Jon that I do Freddy, Contreras and El Duque.

Dare I say breakout year?

Count me down as a major Garland backer this season. If the Sox are going to make any noise in the post-season, we are going to have to have some career years and Jon might be the guy to lead the charge.

Who's with me?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Garland's going to win at least 15 games this year. I just think he's got to feel comfortable not being anything more than a 5th starter this year. Even a normal year for Garland would well exceed what we've gotten from the 5th starter spot in the past.

He's always been a decent pitcher, but it's just that one inning, I think we'll see that "inning" get smaller and smaller this season.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Apr 20, 2005 -> 05:40 PM)
Now, I'm making this thread during the top of the second of tonight's game; so, if Garland tanks, you could blame it on me.

Having watched Jon pitch a little over two games, I've developed a level of confidence in young Jon that I never had previous to this season.  He has looked nothing short of spectacular.

I'll be the first to admit I've been hard on Jon in the past and that, of course, was for a couple of reasons.  First, I was bothered by his California-cool and lack of tenacity on the mound.  I felt he pitched with no emotion on the mound, and although that could be very dangerous for a pitcher--especially a young one-- I felt he needed to get pissed out there.  Second, I was driven near the brink of insanity with his inconsistency.  One outing he looked fantastic, and the next he got lit up in the second inning.  That said, I think the single most motivating factor for my frustration with Jon had to do with his immaturity.  When he was blaming others for his misfortunes on the mound, I lost a great deal of respect for him...this happened on more than a few occasions.  Top all of that off with amazing projections coming out of the minor league system and you had reason for frustration.

He just seemed to flirt with greatness out there and was never able to make that final push.  This year, I have taken a complete 180 on him.  In fact, I think I have a higher level of confidence in Jon that I do Freddy, Contreras and El Duque.

Dare I say breakout year?

Count me down as a major Garland backer this season.  If the Sox are going to make any noise in the post-season, we are going to have to have some career years and Jon might be the guy to lead the charge.

Who's with me?

I've given Garland plenty of s*** here over the last couple of years but he's on a mission this year. I think he totally has a chance to breakout this year cause there's no pressure on him at all.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 09:46 AM)
Prediction: Garland will have a better year than contreras, garcia and El Duque.

Ok I'm going to hold you to that. Garland will have improved and being the #5 starter will have taken the pressure off, but he'll inevitably still have some outings this season where he looks like the Jon Garland of old. I think Garcia and El Duque (if he can stay healthy) will still have better numbers than Jon.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 20, 2005 -> 06:44 PM)
Ok I'm going to hold you to that. Garland will have improved and being the #5 starter will have taken the pressure off, but he'll inevitably still have some outings this season where he looks like the Jon Garland of old. I think Garcia and El Duque (if he can stay healthy) will still have better numbers than Jon.

I agree with everything you said.

All Garland haters from pervious years can go f*** themselves

The fact is this guy is worth every $ for us. Yes, he has not lived up to the expectations yet but for the $ he makes, no way we should let him go anywhere yet.

We have a fixed salary team (unlike Red Sox, Yanks) and hence, we need to always retain those players that give us the value for our $. Garland as a #5 is superb value, given he is worth 10 wins every year at least.

Now, after his 3rd win tonight going 8 innings strong, his ERA is 2.5. It may not stay there all year, but this is the reason you never dump someone cheap and solid like him.

:fyou Garland haters

Edited by sox-r-us

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 01:27 AM)
All Garland haters from pervious years can go f*** themselves

The fact is this guy is worth every $ for us. Yes, he has not lived up to the expectations yet but for the $ he makes, no way we should let him go anywhere yet.

We have a fixed salary team (unlike Red Sox, Yanks) and hence, we need to always retain those players that give us the value for our $. Garland as a #5 is superb value, given he is worth 10 wins every year at least.

Now, after his 3rd win tonight going 8 innings strong, his ERA is 2.5. It may not stay there all year, but this is the reason you never dump someone cheap and solid like him.

:fyou Garland haters

While I don't want to go back and look up all your posts, I doubt you were supporting Jon every step of the way...

Nice call, Addy. Go Jon! :headbang

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 01:29 AM)
While I don't want to go back and look up all your posts, I doubt you were supporting Jon every step of the way...

Nice call, Addy.  Go Jon!  :headbang

Go check on my posts before. I dare you. Facts are I have always said we need to reduce our expectations for Jon. When we reach a point where he wants major $ and we think he is not worth it, then we could trade/dump him, but until then there is no downside to keeping him

I may have made the odd Judy joke but I have always been in Jon's corner.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 20, 2005 -> 07:29 PM)

Nice call, Addy.  Go Jon!  :headbang

Seriously, we're talking about the same guy who wanted to let go of Crede after a week and started making a bunch of panick threads. Sox-r-us, you are a jagbag.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 11:33 AM)
Go check on my posts before. I dare you. Facts are I have always said we need to reduce our expectations for Jon. When we reach a point where he wants major $ and we think he is not worth it, then we could trade/dump him, but until then there is no downside to keeping him

Well now that you mention it;

I would love to have Elo as out 4th starter, forget 5th, given the crap we have other than Freddy Garcia

Girlie, Count-less and Judy .... what a trio

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Apr 20, 2005 -> 07:33 PM)

aka I'm a bandwagon jumper and will continue to be one.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 01:35 AM)
Great find.....The records don't lie.... :lol:

If someone's bored enough, and they don't believe me, I've never called Garland "Judy"....

Same here, greasy. I never felt the need to refer to him as "Judy"... I've said " Jon", but never "Judy". And I'm proud to say I was pretty supporting of Jon throughout last year. :)

And sox-r-us, this is twice this week you've been caught in a lie. Looks like the records do lie... :lol:

Edited by CWSGuy406