Garland turned the corner?

AddisonStSox

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 11:37 AM)
I said I may have made the odd Judy comment but 99% of my posts have supported Garland. Funny you did not post any of those.

Your wish is my command;

He is definitely no worse than Girlie....err...Buerhle and he makes so much less than him so why not keep him until you can....once he reaches a point where he wants lots of money, let him go

It is not like we have the next Pedro to replace Garland anywhere in our system

If we cannot get a 5th starter, why worry about a 4th starter

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tonight was a good example of the team behind the pitcher making him better. The Sox made the plays. Compare to Ledezma, he should have been out of the 1st with no runs and 9 pitches, instead he goes down 3-0 and throws 33. This is what used to happen to Garland all the time.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 11:41 AM)
Tonight was a good example of the team behind the pitcher making him better.  The Sox made the plays.  Compare to Ledezma, he should have been out of the 1st with no runs and 9 pitches, instead he goes down 3-0 and throws 33.  This is what used to happen to Garland all the time.

Ledezma's one of the guys the Tiggies really need to step it up and make a good contribution for them to have ANY chance this season, getting bad defense behind him ain't going to help at all.

Jonny G has always been one of my guys...now with that being said, so has Koch :banghead But cest la vie...

Garland looks settled in the #5 spot, he has the demeanor of a MLB starting pitcher and actually is pitching like one consistently so far.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Apr 20, 2005 -> 10:20 PM)
Jonny G has always been one of my guys...now with that being said, so has Koch  :banghead  But cest la vie...

Garland looks settled in the #5 spot, he has the demeanor of a MLB starting pitcher and actually is pitching like one consistently so far.

Agreed...he actually looks relaxed out there, no longer has that weight of the world look on his face "kinda looks like the Bobby Knight game face" because I have no f***ing idea what I'm talking about.

anywayz..go get um Jonny G. :gosox2:

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 02:44 PM)
Thanks for being fair DBAHO. Most of my posts have been supporting Garland like this one.

I noticed that, just don't tell all those Garland haters to f*** themselves next time, probably isn't the best way to go about it. And I think Nuke was referring to what you said about Mark Buerhle.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 20, 2005 -> 10:46 PM)
I noticed that, just don't tell all those Garland haters to f*** themselves next time, probably isn't the best way to go about it. And I think Nuke was referring to what you said about Mark Buerhle.

Right you are.

I hope I wasn't going too fast for you sox-r-us.

:chair

He is definitely no worse than Girlie....err...Buerhle and he makes so much less than him so why not keep him until you can....once he reaches a point where he wants lots of money, let him go

Statements like that speak for themselves. You're about the only one on this board who ever attacked Buherle like that.

Edited by NUKE_CLEVELAND

Right you are.

I hope I wasn't going too fast for you sox-r-us.

:chair

Statements like that speak for themselves.  You're about the only one on this board who ever attacked Buherle like that.

Ripping on Buehrle should be against the law and automatically get you labeled a Flubs fan. :headshake

Coming into this year, Jon, over his career in April...

5-4, 5.74 ERA, 1.54 WHIP, 1.6 HR/9, 4.3 K/9,

And last year was only his first decent year in April, putting up 1-1 4.55 ERA 1.41 WHIP plus all the others.

I haven't seen him pitch yet, but as far as I can tell, he has improved tremendously.

I've never been a big Garland fan...probably never will be...and I was never sure he could have ever put up even an above average year(some will point to his career ERA+ of 101, proving he has been ever so slightly above average, but his ERA+ in 02-03-04: 100, 99, 100 respectively, showing that he has been a very average starter), but I'll take it.

You will also see where I was one of the first to compare him to Jason Marquis on the board, who broke out and had a very solid year last year after some struggles in the majors with the Braves.

I'll take it. I almost expect him to put up an ERA in the 4.00 range, if not lower, and I am expecting more then 12 wins(which is just f***in incredible, because as a full time starter, he has never won more or less then 12 games).

Keep it up Jonny G :cheers

I'm not even gonna pretend to have been a Jon Garland fan all along. I've dissed him as much as any player we've had the last 5 years. But if I can diss him when he stinks, I can certainly praise him when he's getting the job done. I must say, I did have a feeling that with the addition of Hernandez, that a lot of pressre would be off of Jon, and maybe he could shine in the roll of 5th starter.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2004 @ Apr 20, 2005 -> 11:43 PM)
I'm not even gonna pretend to have been a Jon Garland fan all along.  I've dissed him as much as any player we've had the last 5 years.  But if I can diss him when he stinks,  I can certainly praise him when he's getting the job done.  I must say, I did have a feeling that with the addition of Hernandez, that a lot of pressre would be off of Jon,  and maybe he could shine in the roll of 5th starter.

I've been right there with you knocking on Jon and wondering aloud when he was gonna show up but there's no way anyone can argue with success.

Keep up the good work Jon!

What impressed me was the 7th inning when Uribe booted a ground ball and Podesnick broke the wrong way on a fly ball. Two missplayed balls that should have been outs; two men on and even though we already had the big lead, many pitchers will crack after a couple of bad plays but Garland seemed relaxed. He stayed inside his own head and got the next guy to hit a ground ball to Iguchi for a double play. That is major league pitching.

I've always believed that one day, Garland would "get it". I've seen too many young pitchers that have talent, struggle for a few years while they learn how to consistently get big league hitters out. Eventually, they become solid pitchers. It's not an easy process, and some take longer than others.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Apr 20, 2005 -> 11:38 PM)
Flubs

Can we get a moratorium on the use of the term "Flubs" to describe the team on the Northside? I'm sure Soxtalk could apply its collective creative muscle to cook up something much more deragatory :P.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 12:29 AM)
I've always believed that one day, Garland would "get it".  I've seen too many young pitchers that have talent, struggle for a few years while they learn how to consistently get big league hitters out.  Eventually, they become solid pitchers.  It's not an easy process, and some take longer than others.

Look not much further than guys like Schilling or Jason Schmidt.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 01:39 AM)
Look not much further than guys like Schilling or Jason Schmidt.

In my many defenses of Garland, I have thrown stats from guys like that out there. All I'd get is "Garland is no Schilling." Well, no s***. Not yet anyway. But, people would want to trade him for a bag of used baseballs. The whole time I'm reading this stuff, I'm thinking "You people are out of your minds."

Exactly...kid is 25 years old and people looked for any reason to try and get rid of him in the past. Give him time, not every guy in the majors can come in and "get it" right away. Garland looks like the pitcher alot of us thought he could be so far, lets hope it continues.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 01:59 AM)
Exactly...kid is 25 years old and people looked for any reason to try and get rid of him in the past. Give him time, not every guy in the majors can come in and "get it" right away. Garland looks like the pitcher alot of us thought he could be so far, lets hope it continues.

There will still be days when "Judy" makes an appearance. I believe those days will be fewer and farther between than they have been.

One big difference this year over last, is Garland has that power sinker back. I don't know if he changed a grip, has a different motion, or has a piece of sandpaper with him, but his sinker has great 12 to 6 action this year, which is making his fastball look faster, his straight change dangerous, and his curve ball even looks like that sinker, except it has a much tighter rotation when he throws it.