Garland turned the corner?

AddisonStSox

Garland realized he needed to take a little off the sinker for it to be effective. Excellent adjustment on his part. I just hope he isn't doing something different in his motion that allows hitters to be tipped off that it is coming.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been thinking long and hard about what is different with Jon this year. We all know he isnt going to wni 20 games. BUt he seems to have alot of things together including what pitch to throw in what count, and which pitches will give him ground balls to which batter. Im not sure if anybody has suggested it yet, but I think alot of his development goes to the man who has caught him through this year. I know Widger caught last night, but I believe that alot of the strategy behind his pitching is AJ. I think that AJ taught him a couple of situational tips that has led to a more effective Jon. There is a reason why he is throwing ground balls more often, and is making good pitchers pitches in certain situations. I think AJ's effect is felt more than at the plate.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 08:32 AM)
I have been thinking long and hard about what is different with Jon this year.  We all know he isnt going to wni 20 games.  BUt he seems to have alot of things together including what pitch to throw in what count, and which pitches will give him ground balls to which batter.  Im not sure if anybody has suggested it yet, but I think alot of his development goes to the man who has caught him through this year.  I know Widger caught last night, but I believe that alot of the strategy behind his pitching is AJ.  I think that AJ taught him a couple of situational tips that has led to a more effective Jon.  There is a reason why he is throwing ground balls more often, and is making good pitchers pitches in certain situations.  I think AJ's effect is felt more than at the plate.

No doubt.

I have been thinking long and hard about what is different with Jon this year.  We all know he isnt going to wni 20 games.  BUt he seems to have alot of things together including what pitch to throw in what count, and which pitches will give him ground balls to which batter.  Im not sure if anybody has suggested it yet, but I think alot of his development goes to the man who has caught him through this year.  I know Widger caught last night, but I believe that alot of the strategy behind his pitching is AJ.  I think that AJ taught him a couple of situational tips that has led to a more effective Jon.  There is a reason why he is throwing ground balls more often, and is making good pitchers pitches in certain situations.  I think AJ's effect is felt more than at the plate.

Garland complimented both catchers last nite in a postgame interview. He gets most of the credit himself but he made it clear he likes throwing to both AJP and Widger.

Can not underestimate the value of catchers who have the pitchers trust and confidence.

Its threads like these that make me all warm and happy inside :wub:

I dont think I could be any happier with Jons start to this season.. but I think the thing that makes me happier than that, is the fact that everyone who talked s*** about Garland is now eating their words and finally being supportive and backing him instead of making up stupid nicknames (Judy, come on man).

Just glad to see a thread like this, and im glad that Garland is our only pitcher who can get the job done on a 3rd game/Thursday Sunday game :headbang

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 07:03 AM)
One big difference this year over last, is Garland has that power sinker back.  I don't know if he changed a grip, has a different motion, or has a piece of sandpaper with him, but his sinker has great 12 to 6 action this year, which is making his fastball look faster, his straight change dangerous, and his curve ball even looks like that sinker, except it has a much tighter rotation when he throws it.

There is no doubt that his sinker has much more movement then it has in the past, however I think another reason for his success so far is his use of his changeup. He seemed to rarely use that pitch in years past and when he did it was hanging right there, this year it's biting down and away to lefties and it's making him much harder to hit.

At Garland's spot in the rotation, he'll have the opportunity to win more games. He did face an ace in Radke once, but even he's pretty inconsistent from year to year.

I'm not trying to take anything away from him, because he's pitched extremely well. But the combined ERA of the pitchers that he's matched up with so far is 5.84.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 09:46 AM)
At Garland's spot in the rotation, he'll have the opportunity to win more games.  He did face an ace in Radke once, but even he's pretty inconsistent from year to year. 

I'm not trying to take anything away from him, because he's pitched extremely well.  But the combined ERA of the pitchers that he's matched up with so far is 5.84.

Well it's not like Garland has been winning because the pitchers he's faced have been bad, he's thrown 3 solid games. He's actually faced 3 pretty good pitchers so far in: Radke, Pineiro and Ledezma, though not all of them have pitched that great as you pointed out.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 09:53 AM)
Well it's not like Garland has been winning because the pitchers he's faced have been bad, he's thrown 3 solid games.  He's actually faced 3 pretty good pitchers so far in: Radke, Pineiro and Ledezma, though not all of them have pitched that great as you pointed out.

I agree that even if he would have faced better pitchers in these three games, he still would have a winning record. But if he slips off this pace, which is expected, he should still have the ability to churn out more wins than he would in previous years.

DBAHO & Nuke

Yes, I have not been in Buerhle's corner because of his one bad year. But I am willing to accept I was wrong and I am happy he is with us.

And yes, I have always been a Garland supporter so it is great to see him do this well. He may never be Schilling or Schmidt but he is darn good for the $ we pay him. And I do not want to hear talk of dumping him until we have a suitable replacement (maybe BMAc?)

QUOTE(3E8 @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 10:46 AM)
At Garland's spot in the rotation, he'll have the opportunity to win more games.  He did face an ace in Radke once, but even he's pretty inconsistent from year to year. 

I'm not trying to take anything away from him, because he's pitched extremely well.  But the combined ERA of the pitchers that he's matched up with so far is 5.84.

That 5th starter vs. 5th starter thing rarely lasts beyond the first two weeks of the season. If he wins 18 or so games, he will have earned those wins. It won't be because of match ups.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 10:10 AM)
That 5th starter vs. 5th starter thing rarely lasts beyond the first two weeks of the season.  If he wins 18 or so games, he will have earned those wins.  It won't be because of match ups.

Agreed

If Garland was like 3-0 with a 4.67 ERA right now, yeah ide prolly put more thought into that but he has pitched great so far..

And he has faced the same lineup as our other pitchers saw with that team, so I dont look too much into the opposing pitcher..

but 3E8 is right, if he faces the later pitchers in rotations he has a better chance to have more wins because of that, BUT, he will still have to pitch good enough to win the game because our offense will not always be clicking..