Death List closes IN Jr high school

southsider2k5

QUOTE(The Critic @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 10:05 AM)
I'm glad that kid was stupid enough to leave a "death list" in his/her locker. I wish they'd all leave warning signals, and I wish all the warning signals would be picked up in time.

Gotta agree with ya there 100%. I just wish in this day that kids were more comfortable going to someone with problems that obviously become so consuming to them that they feel violence is the only answer. So much hate at that age.. school's should employ more advisors to deal with kids. Make them more accessable. Talk to them for no reason rather than just when a problem arises. Kids spend the majority of their time in school for 8 months of the year.. I don't mean to take away the parents responsibility.. but schools need to be more proactive.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 10:05 AM)
I'm glad that kid was stupid enough to leave a "death list" in his/her locker. I wish they'd all leave warning signals, and I wish all the warning signals would be picked up in time.

I agree. Problem is that there are signals (more often than not) and no one pays attention to them. Columbine is the perfect example of this.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 04:51 AM)
The school???

How in the hell do you not know something is up with your kid when they're LIVING UNDER YOUR ROOF?

Because a lot of teenage kids do not talk to their parents about what goes on at school. You can ask and ask, and get a boat load of "Nothin'" and "I dunno". Of course, you can always beat the information out of 'em.

QUOTE(MurcieOne @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 11:09 PM)

My Death list is as follows.

1. Jason

2. Jason

3. Mario

4. Goldmember

5. Sideshowapu

6. Aboz

7. SS2k5

......no wait thats my list of men i want to spoon with.... I always mix those two up!

How am I not #1 on either list??? We are so over. :angry:

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 04:51 AM)
The school???

How in the hell do you not know something is up with your kid when they're LIVING UNDER YOUR ROOF?

Typical of someone who failed to read the entire response perhaps...

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 05:44 AM)
Because a lot of teenage kids do not talk to their parents about what goes on at school. You can ask and ask, and get a boat load of "Nothin'" and "I dunno".  Of course, you can always beat the information out of 'em.

A lot of parents are also unresponsive/don't have much time. Since I'm in the secondary education minor at school, the state has us do observations in various schools in the area that are demographically and different in locations -- which is really cool & relevent to becoming a teacher.

In the first school I was in, the teacher was telling us during the planning period one morning that a majority of the parents in the school work 2 jobs and barely ever have time to see their kids just so there can be enough money in the house to pay the bills & keep food on the table. So, he said it was difficult to get in contact with parents about what was going on at school and even if they did, a lot of the parents leave for work before the kid gets up and get back after they've fallen asleep.

I dunno if there is a similar situation but it could be that some of the parents would like to have the extra time but can't just out of the sake of needing to pay the bills. (Then there are also the parents who have a bunch of cash but just overwork themselves to death while never spending time with their kid -- but that's a different discussion entirely)

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 11:14 AM)
A lot of parents are also unresponsive/don't have much time.  Since I'm in the secondary education minor at school, the state has us do observations in various schools in the area that are demographically and different in locations -- which is really cool & relevent to becoming a teacher.

In the first school I was in, the teacher was telling us during the planning period one morning that a majority of the parents in the school work 2 jobs and barely ever have time to see their kids just so there can be enough money in the house to pay the bills & keep food on the table.  So, he said it was difficult to get in contact with parents about what was going on at school and even if they did, a lot of the parents leave for work before the kid gets up and get back after they've fallen asleep.

I dunno if there is a similar situation but it could be that some of the parents would like to have the extra time but can't just out of the sake of needing to pay the bills.  (Then there are also the parents who have a bunch of cash but just overwork themselves to death while never spending time with their kid -- but that's a different discussion entirely)

I can't argue with this. It's as relevent and as true as my statement.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 11:14 AM)
A lot of parents are also unresponsive/don't have much time.  Since I'm in the secondary education minor at school, the state has us do observations in various schools in the area that are demographically and different in locations -- which is really cool & relevent to becoming a teacher.

In the first school I was in, the teacher was telling us during the planning period one morning that a majority of the parents in the school work 2 jobs and barely ever have time to see their kids just so there can be enough money in the house to pay the bills & keep food on the table.  So, he said it was difficult to get in contact with parents about what was going on at school and even if they did, a lot of the parents leave for work before the kid gets up and get back after they've fallen asleep.

I dunno if there is a similar situation but it could be that some of the parents would like to have the extra time but can't just out of the sake of needing to pay the bills.  (Then there are also the parents who have a bunch of cash but just overwork themselves to death while never spending time with their kid -- but that's a different discussion entirely)

ANd being married to a HS teacher, I can second almost all of this post.