Newt Gingrich lies about Canada&Mexico on Fox News

KipWellsFan

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Apr 23, 2005 -> 10:43 AM)
So its a bad thing if an American makes a mistake that makes Canada look bad (Newt and the border), but NOT a bad thing when a Canadian lies about something to make the US look bad (remember your unsubstantiated Mad Cow disease post?)?  Can't have it both ways.  At least Newt said he was wrong and is trying to fix his mistake.

Well technically I did say that the title was misleading, but I still do believe that someone in the US is covering it up.

Also Newt Gingrich was the Speaker of the United States House of Representatives I am but a little peon.

When you find something showing that Gingrich is trying to fix his mistake please show me.

and oh wow an American newspaper ran the story

http://washingtontimes.com/world/20050421-100823-9302r.htm

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 23, 2005 -> 12:42 PM)
I assume you are talking about Kentucky and I agree 100% a well armed militia, tanks rumbling down the streets, helicopters flying over head 24/7/365, armed checkpoints when leaving, fingerprint checks, national IDs, brave patriotic volunteers, searches and detainment without probable cause, guilty until proven innocent, make it right cozy to live there :headbang

If you are talking about the US, we have close to 20,000 miles of border to patrol, both land and sea. How much money are you willing to spend on the people and equipment necessary to accomplish that? Should we stop vacationers? Foreign workers? If we are trying to stop terrorists from getting in, how can we allow tourism and work visas?

Interesting that every President has either looked the other way or made it easier for foreign workers from our bordering countries to be here. From the great Ronald Reagan to George W. Bush, they all have embraced these workers. Are they idiots, or maybe have a bigger picture of what is a risk and what is not?

I never said I had all the answers. If I did, I'd give Hillary a run for her money in '08. But we do need more effective border control. Somehow.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 23, 2005 -> 10:22 PM)
I never said I had all the answers.  If I did, I'd give Hillary a run for her money in '08.  But we do need more effective border control.  Somehow.

I agree. We could start by acknowledging that a couple million migrant workers come to the US every year, stay for 8 or 9 months, then return to Mexico without hurting anyone, taking someone's job they want, planting bombs, etc. Employers need them, they need the employers. We are far safer when we have prosperous neighbors than starving neighbors.

We should fear economic ruin before bombs. We are borrowing hundreds of millions of dollars every year from foreign banks and countries. The next act of terrorism will be financial.

Do we really think Bin Laden would send terrorists into the country with nothing more than a gallon water jug and the clothes on their backs?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 23, 2005 -> 10:32 PM)
I agree. We could start by acknowledging that a couple million migrant workers come to the US every year, stay for 8 or 9 months, then return to Mexico without hurting anyone, taking someone's job they want, planting bombs, etc. Employers need them, they need the employers. We are far safer when we have prosperous neighbors than starving neighbors.

We should fear economic ruin before bombs. We are borrowing hundreds of millions of dollars every year from foreign banks and countries. The next act of terrorism will be financial.

Do we really think Bin Laden would send terrorists into the country with nothing more than a gallon water jug and the clothes on their backs?

I really think the next attack will come into the US over the Mexico border.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Apr 23, 2005 -> 08:12 PM)
Well technically I did say that the title was misleading, but I still do believe that someone in the US is covering it up.

Also Newt Gingrich was the Speaker of the United States House of Representatives I am but a little peon.

When you find something showing that Gingrich is trying to fix his mistake please show me.

and oh wow an American newspaper ran the story

http://washingtontimes.com/world/20050421-100823-9302r.htm

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/2005/04/20/1005773-cp.html

I am curious what you would like him to do? He said he was sorry publicly, and plans to repeat that apolgy if/when her is asked about it in the future (It is the very last line in the story). By admitting his mistake he has already done more than those asshats hit the Mad Cow disease.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 23, 2005 -> 10:42 PM)
I really think the next attack will come into the US over the Mexico border.

I believe it will be on a flight from Europe or possibly home grown again. With tourism making it very easy to visit the US, the terrorists would recruit people without records to travel to the US. Nice and easy. Hop on an airplane and arrive in the front door.

Why take the risk of never making it by running out of water, snakes, sensors, patrols, etc?

It is much easier to come right in the front door.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Apr 24, 2005 -> 09:44 AM)
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/2005/04/20/1005773-cp.html

I am curious what you would like him to do?  He said he was sorry publicly, and plans to repeat that apolgy if/when her is asked about it in the future (It is the very last line in the story). By admitting his mistake he has already done more than those asshats hit the Mad Cow disease.

That's total bs, he's done nothing to make the errors he made public in the United States and none of you would eve know about this had I not posted it.

And the mad cow thing was done by investigative reporters, that's what they do, they dig up stories. They're not about to and they're not going to apologize for anything, especially since they are probably right.

This and the mad cow thing have nothing to do with each other.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Apr 24, 2005 -> 06:08 PM)
That's total bs, he's done nothing to make the errors he made public in the United States and none of you would eve know about this had I not posted it.

And the mad cow thing was done by investigative reporters, that's what they do, they dig up stories.  They're not about to and they're not going to apologize for anything, especially since they are probably right.

First off, you didn't answer tha question. What would you like him to do? I never heard him say it in the first place until you opened your yap, so who knows how many people it originally reached. Do you really think Newt's statement has caused a whole new level of resentment towards Canada? Do you REALLY think Newt has that much pull? If so, you need to lay off the maple syrup and loosen your tuque.

And second, these two things do coincide because of your reaction to them. You seem to have no problem with someone lying about the US, but have a cow (pun intended) when someone in the US make a MISTAKE about an issue concerning Canada. You have absolutely NO evidence that your so-called 'investigative reporters' are correct, but yet you seem to have no problem perpetuating the LIE about Mad Cow disease because 'they are PROBABLY right'. Care to back that up with some kind of proof? Maybe you should apologize to the American Beef industry for perpetuating this LIE. Can you say hypocrite?

The cow thing isn't a lie. And for proof, video, ex veterinarians statements. It's not 100% solid but nothing is.

And isn't Foxnews supposed to reach the most Americans, he should be apologizing to them too.

I'm a hypocrite on many things probably, but not this.

Edited by KipWellsFan

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Apr 24, 2005 -> 01:08 PM)

And the mad cow thing was done by investigative reporters, that's what they do, they dig up stories.  They're not about to and they're not going to apologize for anything, especially since they are probably right.

Not only wouldn't we know about this, but we also wouldn't care. Of course, that's all changed now.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Apr 24, 2005 -> 12:08 PM)

I'm confused. If we never would have heard about this then what damage was really done? And, did you hear about this prior to the apology being made?

If we never would have heard about this then what damage was really done?

When I say never would have heard about this, I mean the apology as basically no American media picked it up (from where I've looked).

And, did you hear about this prior to the apology being made?

No! :P