UMich makes my college decision easy

I have dreamed of going to michigan, and was born and raised a Michigan football fan.

I applied in October...6 months later, a letter from the university. I'm on the extended waiting list.

This means that I will be attending Rutgers University next fall.

Home of the first, and the worst, football team in America.

I am not completely disappointed, I get to stay in New Jersey, and my two best friends and my girlfriend are attending Rutgers (I've heard the whole school with friends thing is not a good idea, but f*** it I'm gonna have fun).

I obviously hold no grudges against the maize and blue...my dad is still renewing his season tickets.

Here is to a great season for the maize and blue, even if I won't be sitting in the student section :cheers

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 06:41 PM)
My choices are down to:

Akron U

Grand Valley St.

Rutgers U

St. Cloud St.

St. Cloud is really cool, i got to play hockey near there a couple years back.... if thats the one in Minnesota.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 10:31 PM)
Being a student here & seeing some of the students who have gotten in...I'd say that unless you're dumber than a sack of hammers, you should be able to get in.

U of I is really hard to get into now, I got a 28 on my ACT's and had some decent grades at a hard highschool.... and i didnt get in.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 11:31 PM)
Being a student here & seeing some of the students who have gotten in...I'd say that unless you're dumber than a sack of hammers, you should be able to get in.

its hard to get in here man. I went through all this last year and know plenty that got denied.

It's just when people get in here they show their dumbass self.

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 07:25 AM)
its hard to get in here man.  I went through all this last year and know plenty that got denied. 

It's just when people get in here they show their dumbass self.

Just seeing some of the people in my education classes, I have to wonder how the Hell they got in -- Hell...I only had like a 3.7 GPA and a 27 on my ACT and I got in (but then I was applying into LAS)

QUOTE(1549 @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 02:00 PM)
I have dreamed of going to michigan, and was born and raised a Michigan football fan.

I applied in October...6 months later, a letter from the university.  I'm on the extended waiting list.

I am not completely disappointed, I get to stay in New Jersey, and my two best friends and my girlfriend are attending Rutgers (I've heard the whole school with friends thing is not a good idea, but f*** it I'm gonna have fun).

I obviously hold no grudges against the maize and blue...my dad is still renewing his season tickets.

Here is to a great season for the maize and blue, even if I won't be sitting in the student section  :cheers

That sucks, but congrats on Rutgers. Also long time no see Rob. Hope all is well :gosox1:

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 11:19 AM)
Just seeing some of the people in my education classes, I have to wonder how the Hell they got in -- Hell...I only had like a 3.7 GPA and a 27 on my ACT and I got in (but then I was applying into LAS)

It's a similar story at UIC. The college of Engineering is difficult to get into, but for LAS, I hear as long as you have average grades, you're in there.

I knew a guy that had almost the same raw numbers as me at my high school that applied to the same program and didn't get in. I was in pre-journalism (which is basically LAS for the first two years). We both had mid 3.8 GPA's at Fenwick, which is a private Catholic college prep high school where pretty much everyone goes on to a 4 year school (I'll put it this way, about 30 of us had U of I as our backup school, including me). We had similar SAT's at around a 1250, I got a 30 on the ACT compared to his 27 I think. He also submitted a number of writing samples and wrote a solid essay, I basically wrote a half assed one to submit. He was quite upset with that situation.

I guess the moral of this story is kick ass on the standardized tests, that seemed to help a lot with the people that got in from our school, and hurt those that didn't get in.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(1549 @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 04:00 PM)

I applied in October...6 months later, a letter from the university.  I'm on the extended waiting list.

Here is to a great season for the maize and blue, even if I won't be sitting in the student section  :cheers

GO BUCKS!!!

From what I know from a bunch of my friends this year, Illinois can be easy or hard to get into depending on where you are from, even within the state. A ton of people apply to U of I from my HS and because of that ridiculous number they create artificial competition. Colleges don't want 100 kids from the same high school so they have to deny kids they would normally accept. Therefore, it's hard to get into when you are coming from well-off schools where almost all of the kids go to college. This is probably true of a lot of state schools, but more so for Ill. because it is much cheaper than a lot of other state schools (for in state students of that state).

On a side note, I'm heading to the University of Missouri for journalism. The funny thing is that, while the school mostly consists of Missouri citizens, the Journalism School (since it's such a quality school, one of the best in the country) said they get most of their kids from the Chicago area. I'm loving that. :D

Edited by danman31

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 04:55 PM)
You may just get to write some stories about Quinn Snyder getting s***canned.  Oh and you'll learn just how crappy I really am :lol:

:P On a side note, you just became the 3rd person with a Kristin Kreuk avatar. Welcome to the club. :D