Awful Experience at Sox Park (Cellular Field)

southsideirish

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 05:48 PM)
Your not supposed to stand in the aisle. Your supposed to wait at the top. NO?

Ok so then when their is a break you have to run all the way down the stairs to whatever row your in dive through the people and make it to your seat in time for the next batter to sit without spilling your food. Ill try that next time

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't like it go to the ballet and enjoy your orange juice at intermission.

It's a freaking baseball game, what did you expect?

Umm, let's see.

Simple common courtesy? The same courtesy you'd expect to be shown you?

If four big fats guys walk right in front of you when a runner is making a dash for home from 2nd base on a single ... and you totally miss the play ... I guess you wouldn't say anything?

C'mon.

It has nothing to do with going to the ballet, it has everything to do with people having some simple consideration for others. I hope that's not lost on you, you are a good poster and seem like a bright person.

I realize 100% that's it's impossible to educate every fan or expect simple courtesy to be shown at all times because yes, we are talking about a crowd of people and things happen.

But ... I am a little shocked at some of the responses in this thread, I thought good Sox fans knew better.

Think about it ... give others the same courtesy you'd want shown you. Nothing more, nothing less.

Further, lead by example ... and teach your friends.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan56789 @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 05:50 PM)
Ok so then when their is a break you have to run all the way down the stairs to whatever row your in dive through the people and make it to your seat in time for the next batter to sit without spilling your food. Ill try that next time

Or your could go get food between innings and come back before it starts or wait till the innings over.

I don't give a damn, I'm just saying no one suggested run down the stairs and dive into your seat.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan56789 @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 10:50 PM)

If your seat is that far away then wait until the next 1/2 inning break. Is it really that big of a deal? Where did all of this go? This is the way I know everyone grew up. What happened that people don't know this? How did it get so bad?

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 05:51 PM)
Or your could go get food between innings and come back before it starts or wait till the innings over.

I don't give a damn, I'm just saying no one suggested run down the stairs and dive into your seat.

But like people said you paid to watch a game, why should you have to wait for the end of the inning to go back to your seat and miss that half inning or whatever.

I agree with you Jim, but not every fan is as hardcore as us. I don't think this happens nearly as much as people think. I for one, get food before the game, and if i do get up during the game, its in-between innings.

Not everyone in the crowd is going to be thinking of all that like us. I understand that and deal with it. It doesn't happen all that often anyway.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan56789 @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 05:52 PM)
But like people said you paid to watch a game, why should you have to wait for the end of the inning to go back to your seat and miss that half inning or whatever.

Because the people you f***ing walk infront of pay to watch the game too...

No. Think about it.

Get your food, stand at the top and walk down right after the play is made. You'll have time, and you know it.

If not, just crouch down in the aisle for a moment or two. It's not that hard, if you choose to pay attention and if having consideration for other fans is at all important to you.

Welcome to the 21st century SSI.

People don't give up their seats for the elderly, cars drive in the leftlane at 50, people talk on cellphones at the movies, and not many people know what hockey rules are when it comes to seating areas at sporting events. This isn't a USCF thing, its an American society thing. It happens everywhere, everyday, and it isn't going to go away. People are inconsiderate of everyone but themselves.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan56789 @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 10:52 PM)

Common courtesy, because others around you are also trying to watch the same game you are.

I agree with you Jim, but not every fan is as hardcore as us.  I don't think this happens nearly as much as people think.  I for one, get food before the game, and if i do get up during the game, its in-between innings. 

Not everyone in the crowd is going to be thinking of all that like us.  I understand that and deal with it.  It doesn't happen all that often anyway.

Agree. We cannot control everything.

QUOTE(JimH @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 05:50 PM)
Umm, let's see.

Simple common courtesy?  The same courtesy you'd expect to be shown you?

If four big fats guys walk right in front of you when a runner is making a dash for home from 2nd base on a single ... and you totally miss the play ... I guess you wouldn't say anything?

C'mon.

It has nothing to do with going to the ballet, it has everything to do with people having some simple consideration for others.  I hope that's not lost on you, you are a good poster and seem like a bright person.

I realize 100% that's it's impossible to educate every fan or expect simple courtesy to be shown at all times because yes, we are talking about a crowd of people and things happen.

But ... I am a little shocked at some of the responses in this thread, I thought good Sox fans knew better.

Think about it ... give others the same courtesy you'd want shown you.  Nothing more, nothing less.

Further, lead by example ... and teach your friends.

Jim, anytime I go to the bathroom or get some food, I always go right after the third out in the bottom of the inning. I use good manners while at the games. I just don't see why some people get so bent out of shape about it though. You're going to have plenty of dumbasses in a group of thousands of people. I guess I just have low expectations from strangers. I'm sorry if I made you mad in this thread, please accept my appology.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 06:54 PM)

People don't give up their seats for the elderly, cars drive in the leftlane at 50, people talk on cellphones at the movies, and not many people know what hockey rules are when it comes to seating areas at sporting events.  This isn't a USCF thing, its an American society thing.  It happens everywhere, everyday, and it isn't going to go away.  People are inconsiderate of everyone but themselves.

I thought that was just New York.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 10:54 PM)

People don't give up their seats for the elderly, cars drive in the leftlane at 50, people talk on cellphones at the movies, and not many people know what hockey rules are when it comes to seating areas at sporting events.  This isn't a USCF thing, its an American society thing.  It happens everywhere, everyday, and it isn't going to go away.  People are inconsiderate of everyone but themselves.

I agree with you SS2K5, but can't we do something about this? What if we as a board posted some things about ballpark etiquette. Maybe this board can help educate the younger generation. We can't help the casual fan here, but we can help the younger ones and they can teach their friends. I am very shocked at the posts on this board and thought that our fans had more consideration for others. I guess I was wrong.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan56789 @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 06:57 PM)
Its pretty hard to see from up there and alot more people will be walking around you but whatever.

Your standing up though when your at the concourse, so at least its not your sitting down enjoying the game and people are getting up and down blocking0 pitches.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 05:57 PM)
I agree with you SS2K5, but can't we do something about this? What if we as a board posted some things about ballpark etiquette. Maybe this board can help educate the younger generation. We can't help the casual fan here, but we can help the younger ones and they can teach their friends. I am very shocked at the posts on this board and thought that our fans had more consideration for others. I guess I was wrong.

To some extent we do try to educate our fans. We just had a long thread about throwing balls back, and we have had plenty of other similar threads. I know I try to do what I can to not ruin someone elses experience, but so many people are just so self-absorbed it doesn't matter.

Hopefully some of our youger ilk will read this and pick up something, but I have no doubt next time I go to the ballpark some drunk dumbass will get up 16 times to pee, because he had to have 10 beers at the ballpark. And he definatley won't care if the game is going on when the urge hits him. Its just water of my back, because I know there is no point in getting upset about it, and letting affect my day at the ballpark.

Jim, anytime I go to the bathroom or get some food, I always go right after the third out in the bottom of the inning. I use good manners while at the games. I just don't see why some people get so bent out of shape about it though. You're going to have plenty of dumbasses in a group of thousands of people. I guess I just have low expectations from strangers. I'm sorry if I made you mad in this thread, please accept my appology.

No need to apologize whatsoever, you are a considerate fan. I'm not mad at all, in fact I think this is a good discussion.

I am older than all you guys and I hope you take what I'm saying to be good advice. Think of how you'd want it to be when you get a Sox fan wife and have a Sox fan family. And then act accordingly.

I agree their will be dumbasses in big crowds. By the same token, it is perfectly ok to ask firmly, politely etc. that their bad behavior doesn't unduly infringe on your enjoyment of the game.

There are good Sox fans here ... again, lead by example. Teach your buddies. You will be better off in the long run ... believe me. I know this from experience.