Awful Experience at Sox Park (Cellular Field)

southsideirish

QUOTE(toasty @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 10:42 PM)
One pitch isnt going to ruin you night.

You can't say that. Maybe that one pitch is the game winning homer!!

And I am in agreement with JimH on this. I guess it also comes from my many years of Blackhawk season tickets. All I hear from everybody arguing with this is about how it isn't convenient for THEM...That's the whole point. The world doesn't revolve around you. It is about thinking of OTHER PEOPLE. Common courtesy is that you don't get up during play/at bat/pitch. Why is that so hard to understand? If you "need" a beverage or food or to piss, wait until the at bat is over and the next guy is walking to the plate. There is plenty of time to get the hell out of the way. Nobody is saying run up the stairs. Just move as quickly as you can to get out of the way. Remember, you are choosing to get up and miss the play/at bat/pitch, the people sitting shouldn't be blocked because of that.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SAVVY18 @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 11:28 PM)
You can't say that.  Maybe that one pitch is the game winning homer!! 

if, indeed someone is in front of you when someone hits a homer, EVERYONE that is a fan is going to be jumping to their feet, including you... so ... yeah whatever!

I really do understand courtesy, but like someone said, this isnt an opera.... nor a funeral i say

QUOTE(toasty @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 11:37 PM)
if, indeed someone is in front of you when someone hits a homer, EVERYONE that is a fan is going to be jumping to their feet, including you... so ... yeah whatever!

Ah yes, but how can you jump up if you don't see the pitch and the contact? You won't know that it is on the way out of the park, now will you? Will you jump up for no reason?

QUOTE(SAVVY18 @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 11:50 PM)
Ah yes, but how can you jump up if you don't see the pitch and the contact?  You won't know that it is on the way out of the park, now will you?  Will you jump up for no reason?

yeah... no one else in the whole park can see either if you cant...and whats that you say?you dont have ears to hear either? .... you would have to be in the bathroom to not know from fan reaction that someone hit a ball that might go out

QUOTE(toasty @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 12:02 AM)
yeah... no one else in the whole park can see either if you cant...and whats that you say?you dont have ears to hear either? .... you would have to be in the bathroom to not know from fan reaction that someone hit a ball that might go out

What the hell are you reading Junior??? Where did I say anything about anyone else being able to see? Please go back and re-read what I posted. Try to comprehend it and then reply. And this isn't about hearing the play, it is about seeing it right? And you were the one that said it isn't a big deal to misss a pitch. I merely pointed out that it may just be a big deal and gave an example of it.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 04:18 PM)
...grow a pair. :ph34r:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Now THAT'S funny dude!

It's called being in public. No matter where you go...for any event...there's gonna be rude-ass people who are gonna annoy the s*** outta ya. For as often as I'd like to smack crap outta someone when I go to venues...nothing changes...from the ballpark...to sitting next to the blabbin asses at the movies. All you can do is hope the people you're around aren't complete morons.

Or maybe try this....next time go Postal! :chair

QUOTE(SAVVY18 @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 12:16 AM)
What the hell are you reading Junior???  Where did I say anything about anyone else being able to see?  Please go back and re-read what I posted.  Try to comprehend it and then reply.  And this isn't about hearing the play, it is about seeing it right?  And you were the one that said it isn't a big deal to misss a pitch.  I merely pointed out that it may just be a big deal and gave an example of it.

what i was pointing out is that unless the person passing/standing in front of you is doing so for more than 2 seconds, you will indeed not miss the hit/homer... especially if you are aware of the other fan's reactions arround you... thus the reason no biggie if you miss the actual pitch... its the reaction to the outcome of the pitch that is important, and you wouldnt miss out on that unless you were in the toilet!

The way I see this, there are three things that need to be addressed.

1. Education. Some people just don't know any better. A polite reminder or explanation early in a game might eliminate some frustration.

2. Common courtesy. A ballgame is a shared experience. In order to make it better for ALL, show a little consideration.

3. Tolerance. Don't get bent out of shape at everybody that breaks the ettiquit rules. You don't always know the whole equation. Someone my have a weak bladder and just can't sit there out of politeness.

Common sense and common courtesy are uncommon.

Editted to add: To the person that called Irish a stupid ass. You are a major part of the problem if that is your way of reacting to a request to be considerate of others.

Edited by YASNY

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 02:25 AM)

1.  Education.  Some people just don't know any better.  A polite reminder or explanation early in a game might eliminate some frustration.

2. Common courtesy.  A ballgame is a shared experience.  In order to make it better for ALL, show a little consideration. 

3. Tolerance.  Don't get bent out of shape at everybody that breaks the ettiquit rules.  You don't always know the whole equation.  Someone my have a weak bladder and just can't sit there out of politeness.

Exactly.

But it's also a matter of how you present the situation.

If you come on here to moan and complain, that just makes you look about as bad as the people who were doing it.

The key is ACTION. Whether it be rudely confronting the person or politely making you point, doing something, in my opinion, is better than just complaining that you're not getting your way.

Anyone else think it is strange that smoking is not permitted in the seats, which are basically out in the open air, but is allowed on the concourse, under a roof -where the food is prepared? Always struck me as backwards.

They really should designate sections as smoking or not, and include the concessions too. As it stands people who are allergic or just object to smoking can't get away from it entirely, and people who smoke are inconvenienced or criminalized.

Civility is a two way street.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 07:25 AM)

1.  Education.  Some people just don't know any better.  A polite reminder or explanation early in a game might eliminate some frustration.

2. Common courtesy.  A ballgame is a shared experience.  In order to make it better for ALL, show a little consideration. 

3. Tolerance.  Don't get bent out of shape at everybody that breaks the ettiquit rules.  You don't always know the whole equation.  Someone my have a weak bladder and just can't sit there out of politeness.

Editted to add:  To the person that called Irish a stupid ass. You are a major part of the problem if that is your way of reacting to a request to be considerate of others.

I think you said it best, if anyhting this thread is somewhat an education for everyone including me. net net.. just be aware of whats around you. I can always pick out the regulars at ballgames, for those that go occasionally and who are on this board, I simply request courtesy around you. Even though it is a ballpark and is open air, courtesy still applies.

On the smoking issue, if the Sox want to make going to the ballpark a truly family fun experience, make the stadium a non - smoking one. They do it all for the stadiums down here, just make the people go outside to do it and they can come back in.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 07:04 AM)
On the smoking issue, if the Sox want to make going to the ballpark a truly family fun experience, make the stadium a non - smoking one. They do it all for the stadiums down here, just make the people go outside to do it and they can come back in.

In the long run, thats probably what will happen.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 07:34 AM)
Exactly.

But it's also a  matter of how you present the situation.

If you come on here to moan and complain, that just makes you look about as bad as the people who were doing it. 

The key is ACTION.  Whether it be rudely confronting the person or politely making you point, doing something, in my opinion, is better than just complaining that you're not getting your way.

And you know I did not present these problems to an usher how? I simply came on here and posted what happened at the ball park. If it was a couple of times I would not be on here talking about it. It was a continuous issue throughout the game and I found it simply annoying and it ruined the whole enjoyment of the game for me. I came on here to post and see what others thought about this situation AND to see if there was something we can do to help this situation in the future for myself and other fans like me that go to ACTUALLY WATCH THE GAME. If it was to call the White Sox and notify them of the situation, write them a letter, or whatever some fans suggested. I never thought that it was as common and all of this inconsiderate behavior was so rampant through our entire fan base. After posting on here it seems that most people in our fan base, especially the younger ones, not only are inconsiderate, but don't care that they are and some actually enjoy doing it. I was simply trying to find a solution to this problem because I know it affects more than just myself as my thread's topic clearly asks the question "What can we do about this?".

This was not about a select few getting up in front of me or coming down the same row as I was sitting in. This is about a ton of fans getting up and down in the aisles getting food, drink, going to the bathroom, coming back from or going to smoke, or what have you while play is going on. It was a consistent behavior that made the game an awful experience. I just wish that those of you that do this can now realize that it ruins the game for everyone around you. Just think about it for a little bit and think of how ignorant that this kind of behavior is. Maybe you will think twice about doing it and have a little consideration for the others around you that go to the ball game to ACTUALLY WATCH THE GAME.

Edited by southsideirish

WAIT FOR A f***IN WHISTLE!!!!!!!

as we used to say at Hawks games.

I dont' know about end of inning or pitching change...you can usually walk to your seat and squat down till after the pitch....then get in there and be situated for the next pitch.

You talk of viewing experience..well is it not the right of the person, who's god given right it is to piss and grab a beer, to go back to their seat to watch the game as well??

The fact is there is a right way and wrong way to do things. In between pitches is the right way. Requesting in between innnigs and you are hypocritically taking away a persons right to enjoy the game from their seat.

A little education can prevent some of these problems. Make an announcement during the game or display it on the scoreboard. It will help some people, but others are just rude and won't change no matter what.

As for smoking...if you tell an usher then I believe they kick them out or at least give them a warning.

I respect your opinion, and I'm sorry you had such a terrible outing at the old ball park, but it kinda seems you were doing more fan watching then game watching. I know some things happened that got on your nerves...but for that to ruin your whole experience when the white sox swept the twinkies in a great game...then I think you were focusing on the wrong things there.

Edited by Controlled Chaos

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 01:32 PM)
WAIT FOR A f***IN WHISTLE!!!!!!!

as we used to say at Hawks games.

I dont' know about end of inning or pitching change...you can usually walk to your seat and squat down till after the pitch....then get in there and be situated for the next pitch.

You talk of viewing experience..well is it not the right of the person, who's god given right it is to piss and grab a beer, to go back to their seat to watch the game as well?? 

The fact is there is a right way and wrong way to do things.  In between pitches is the right way.  Requesting in between innnigs and you are hypocritically taking away a persons right to enjoy the game from their seat. 

A little education can prevent some of these problems.  Make an announcement  during the game or display it on the scoreboard.  It will help some people, but others are just rude and won't change no matter what. 

As for smoking...if you tell an usher then I believe they kick them out or at least give them a warning. 

I respect your opinion, and I'm sorry you had such a terrible outing at the old ball park, but it kinda seems you were doing more fan watching then game watching.  I know some things happened that got on your nerves...but for that to ruin your whole experience when the white sox swept the twinkies in a great game...then I think you were focusing on the wrong things there.

i know you didn't post this to me, but a good rule is to wait until the batter completes the at bat. There is plenty of time to get to your seat in between batters. not that tough. I do it all the time.

QUOTE(quickman @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 08:38 AM)
i know you didn't post this to me, but a good rule is to wait until the batter completes the at bat. There is plenty of time to get to your seat in between batters. not that tough. I do it all the time.

True. Waiting for a batter is probably better and defintiely better if you have kids or are with more than one person. But if you are alone...you can make your way to your seat in between pitches then squat during the next pitch then sit down for the next pitch. This works fine. I know if I have to get up I'm already pissed that I had to get out of my seat for whatever and want to get back as soon as possible to celebrate a hit or whatever. If the opposition is up to bat...I'm not so eager and usually just wait it out. and if MB is on the bump...you couldn't make it to your seat if you were Spods

Edited by Controlled Chaos

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 04:32 PM)
And where would this be? the upper deck? How about if you just throw all the low lifes, such as yourself, that think this is appropriate behavior to the upper deck. That would make everyone's experience so much better.

My season tickets are in the upper deck. No need for an insult...

I have been sitting there, right behind home plate, since 1992.

We police it in our little area just like the old Chicago Stadium. It's very polite by us. Everyone works together to keep it civil.

Plus

Sickness212:

If you don't like it, then goto Wrigley, yuppie.

From a guy who has hardly posted...way to make freinds. :headshake

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 05:52 PM)
I agree with you Jim, but not every fan is as hardcore as us.  I don't think this happens nearly as much as people think.  I for one, get food before the game, and if i do get up during the game, its in-between innings. 

Not everyone in the crowd is going to be thinking of all that like us.  I understand that and deal with it.  It doesn't happen all that often anyway.

And I agree with you Steve. It happens. I deal with it.

I also wouldn't, after some of the stuff I've seen take place there and at other parks, consider this an awful experiece.

let me get this straight... you went to tuesday night's game and it took you till thursday at 4 pm to complain... if it was that bad you probably would have vented sooner... did you say anything to an usher/security...about the smoking .. or did you just complain to us??? and as far as people not paying attention to what's going on around them... and walking everywhere... you've got to be kidding me... do you ever go out of the house??? go anywhere.. ANYWHERE.. and you will find clueless people.. the highway.. the bears games.. the bars.. the trains.. the grocery store.. the mall... you name it ... people just don't pay attention... get used to it... it is not something that is exclusive to your experience at the cell... go anywhere and it will probably take you about 5 minutes to encounter someone who is completely oblivious to his/her surroundings... this doesn't make it right... you just have to get out of the house more and realize it happens everywhere... EVERYWHERE.....

I was in sec159row2 tuesday night and had a great time with my wife and one-yr old... and guess what... there were plenty of clueless people out there too....

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 11:50 PM)
I'm not a smoker and I hate cig smoke around me, but I have no problem with it anywhere outdoors. Where exactly are smokers supposed to smoke if even outdoors is wrong?

When I have to go to the washroom, I have to go to the washroom, period.    :huh

I put it this way then. Away from a small area that is heavily populated. Go outside of the stadium, take a puff in your own little space, and come back in. And baseball's a perfect game to do that, because there are lots and lots of breaks.