Awful Experience at Sox Park (Cellular Field)

southsideirish

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 09:23 AM)
I put it this way then. Away from a small area that is heavily populated. Go outside of the stadium, take a puff in your own little space, and come back in. And baseball's a perfect game to do that, because there are lots and lots of breaks.

I don't know where he sat (if he posted it I missed it) .. but where I sit this is normal. Smokers go all the way out to near the ramps to smoke.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a silly thread. Are we still, after 9 pages, talking about people walking in the aisle? I understand the smoke. That makes sense. But to still be complaining about the aisles? Sorry folks, I have kids, if my daughter (age 7) has to use the bathroom, YOU can be bothered by my taking her to the facility. I am NOT in the 5th grade anymore, and I do NOT need your approval if I go to the bathroom or not. Sorry. People get up to use the bathroom during movies, but I don't yell at them. If you are a part of a "society" you need to learn to adapt, and understand. Sometimes people need to get up. If it is the same person over and over again, then there is a problem. But if you are complaining about just people in general, maybe you should try living in a cave where nobody will bother you.

If my comments have been mentioned, I apologize for being redundant. But this is without a doubt the silliest complaint I have read yet.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 09:05 AM)
This is a silly thread. Are we still, after 9 pages, talking about people walking in the aisle? I understand the smoke. That makes sense. But to still be complaining about the aisles? Sorry folks, I have kids, if my daughter (age 7) has to use the bathroom, YOU can be bothered by my taking her to the facility. I am NOT in the 5th grade anymore, and I do NOT need your approval if I go to the bathroom or not. Sorry. People get up to use the bathroom during movies, but I don't yell at them. If you are a part of a "society" you need to learn to adapt, and understand. Sometimes people need to get up. If it is the same person over and over again, then there is a problem. But if you are complaining about just people in general, maybe you should try living in a cave where nobody will bother you.

If my comments have been mentioned, I apologize for being redundant. But this is without a doubt the silliest complaint I have read yet.

Amen.

QUOTE(sec159row2 @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 02:13 PM)
let me get this straight...  you went to tuesday night's game and it took you till thursday at 4 pm to complain...  if it was that bad you probably would have vented sooner...  did you say anything to an usher/security...about the smoking .. or did you just complain to us???  and as far as people not paying attention to what's going on around them...  and walking everywhere...  you've got to be kidding me...  do you ever go out of the house???  go anywhere.. ANYWHERE..  and you will find clueless people..  the highway..  the bears games.. the bars.. the trains.. the grocery store.. the mall... you name it ...  people just don't pay attention... get used to it...  it is not something that is exclusive to your experience at the cell...  go anywhere and it will probably take you about 5 minutes to encounter someone who is completely oblivious to his/her surroundings...  this doesn't make it right... you just have to get out of the house more and realize it happens everywhere...  EVERYWHERE.....

I was in sec159row2 tuesday night and had a great time with my wife and one-yr old...  and guess what... there were plenty of clueless people out there too....

Please don't tell me when to post. I have other things to attend to other than this message board. If you don't know that people have other things going on in their life than this message board then maybe you should get out of the house more often. Thursday at 4 PM was the time I had after my awful experience at the game. I have never encountered this at a Bears game and I have been to plenty of them. I am not trying to watch a live game at trains, or stores of any kind. TVs are pretty high at bars, so I highly doubt it will blck my view if someone is walking in front of me.

I could see if I was on here constantly complaining about things wrong with the sox or their stadium or people in general, however I never have. I have always liked the stadium, I have never had a problem like this in the past, and I have never complained about the Sox organization. I am not a constant complainer. You would think that when someone that does not complain a lot has a complaint it would be taken more seriously. However, it seems as some people love to be self centered and will continue to be so.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 03:05 PM)

This is exactly why we need the ushers to stay at the top of the aisles and wait until play has stopped for any reason. When that happens then they can allow you to go back to your seat.

I am sorry that your 7 year old daughter can't hold it for a minute. If it really is a must and you have to get up and leave for the bathroom then that is fine, but you should not be allowed back down until play has stopped.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 09:26 AM)
Please don't tell me when to post. I have other things to attend to other than this message board. If you don't know that people have other things going on in their life than this message board then maybe you should get out of the house more often. Thursday at 4 PM was the time I had after my awful experience at the game. I have never encountered this at a Bears game and I have been to plenty of them. I am not trying to watch a live game at trains, or stores of any kind. TVs are pretty high at bars, so I highly doubt it will blck my view if someone is walking in front of me.

I could see if I was on here constantly complaining about things wrong with the sox or their stadium or people in general, however I never have. I have always liked the stadium, I have never had a problem like this in the past, and I have never complained about the Sox organization. I am not a constant complainer. You would think that when someone that does not complain a lot has a complaint it would be taken more seriously. However, it seems as some people love to be self centered and will continue to be so.

i don't remember "telling you when to post" i do remember telling you there are clueless people everywhere...

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 09:26 AM)
Please don't tell me when to post. I have other things to attend to other than this message board. If you don't know that people have other things going on in their life than this message board then maybe you should get out of the house more often.

And maybe you should understand that some people have things going on in their lives that may require them to get up from their seats at a game. I don't think people are doing this with the intent on messing with your enjoyment.

And if you know kids, you know that they will "hold it" until they are about to burst. If you don't know a kid, try and remember when you were that age. Even if an usher is up there with his little chainlink fence, what does it matter? "Your" game has already been turned into an "awful" experience because I walked in front of you while trying to stop the a situation that might turn somebody elses experience into an "awful" game. But, then maybe I should just leave my kids at home, since obviously the only people allowed to occupy a White Sox game are the people with scorecards in hand, being ultra-serious about the game (look at that word, lets remember what it is) being played before them. No matter how serious you want the game to be kids, it is still a form of entertainment, and one that is aimed at "families" and is aimed to make room for the casual fans. Maybe we need to make a "geek corner" for all the diehard people to sit and observe.

Seriously, and people here make fun of the Star Wars geeks and their anal retentive ways???

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 10:46 AM)
And maybe you should understand that some people have things going on in their lives that may require them to get up from their seats at a game. I don't think people are doing this with the intent on messing with your enjoyment.

And if you know kids, you know that they will "hold it" until they are about to burst. If you don't know a kid, try and remember when you were that age. Even if an usher is up there with his little chainlink fence, what does it matter? "Your" game has already been turned into an "awful" experience because I walked in front of you while trying to stop the a situation that might turn somebody elses experience into an "awful" game. But, then maybe I should just leave my kids at home, since obviously the only people allowed to occupy a White Sox game are the people with scorecards in hand, being ultra-serious about the game (look at that word, lets remember what it is) being played before them. No matter how serious you want the game to be kids, it is still a form of entertainment, and one that is aimed at "families" and is aimed to make room for the casual fans. Maybe we need to make a "geek corner" for all the diehard people to sit and observe.

Seriously, and people here make fun of the Star Wars geeks and their anal retentive ways???

:notworthy to both your posts

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 10:46 AM)

I have to agree with you.. kids trump all.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 09:58 AM)
bildeDato20050422KategoriENTERTAINMENT03

Can you blame them? :D

And we all wear shirts with "Thomas" on the back. Last time I checked I was a 34 year old, balding white guy who is kind of skinny. Look in our stands, at the people wearing the shirts, hats, and misc. other Sox paraphenalia, and tell me how different we are? Some of us go to Soxfest even. Fandom is fandom.

If only people who wanted to watch every single pitch and every single second of the game went to the game there would be about 1000 people there, probably less.

When i go Im lookin at having a good time more than watching every single pitch. Maybe im different though?

Im a season ticket holder, and I dont like people who are ignorant about the general rules of watching baseball either. But in all honesty, the freakin hat game annoys me more than that. Just dont go to the game on half price night and you will be fine. Lets just keep winnin!!!!!!!!!

I do not want to speak for ssi, so I will speak for myself.

Personally, I am much more tolerant of little kids, I remember being a kid. I also remember my dad telling me to hang on until there was a stoppage in play, and then up we went to the bathroom. Not that hard. However, my dad felt it was more important to teach me about respecting and understanding other people's viewpoints vs. attending to my every need immediately.

This is no knock on you or your 7 year old whatsoever. I don't have a problem with people walking in front of me when the game is going on ... once. If they keep doing it, I will say something. No one can tell me that telling a 7 year old to wait until after the batter is finished is a huge deal. There are different perspectives on this board and different perspectives in terms of what is considerate behavior and what isn't. No harm in that. :cheers By the same token, you and your 7 year old walk in front of me once when the game is going on, no problem. I understand there can be emergencies. Do it twice, I will nicely request that you please try to wait until after the batter is done to exit or enter the row. And hopefully I will not get verbal s*** thrown back at me, as so often happens.

Example: last Sunday the wife and I were using quick's seats in the Club Level. A family of four sat behind us (mom, dad, two boys about ages 8 and 10). I'm sure they are a very nice family. The older boy had happy feet, and kept swinging his feet and kicking the back of my chair ... kick, kick, kick. I turned around to the father and asked, nicely I may add "are these your two boys?" He said "yeah, what's the problem?". I knew right then and there ... oh oh. This is a dad who thinks his kids can't do anything wrong.

So I said "well, is there any way you can ask him to not kick the back of my chair, I would appreciate it." Said the mom "Jason, stop kicking". Said the dad at the same time as the mom "Sheesh ... what's the big deal, they're boys".

I thanked the mom, and said to the dad, "No, I understand they're young, but kicking the back of the chair is annoying, I'd appreciate your help, that's all."

He gave me a snarly look and gave me the evil eye every time he came back up the aisle for the rest of the game.

Now, I understand 10 year old boys are antsy, and stuff like this happens in crowds. However, I was dismayed that this particular dad apparantly felt his kid could do no wrong, and everyone there at the ballpark should adapt to his kid. If the kid wanted to kick the back of my chair, too bad for me, I should just suck it up and let this kid kick the back of my chair for nine innings ... because, well, the father thought I should.

To this I say ... bulls***. The kid kicked the chair once or twice the rest of the game, I am sure by accident, that was fine and I didn't say anything.

I don't expect kids to be perfect angels, they are kids and it's a ballgame. However, when they are doing something which clearly is annoying or disruptive, I expect the parents to DO something about it, and not give me s*** for asking.

Frankly, I shouldn't have to ask ... monitor the child's behavior. But maybe that's just me and I am in my 40's and my perspective is different.

It is perfectly ok to have different levels of tolerance for certain behavior. But people should understand that by the time you have to ask someone to stop, the behavior has been going on for a while and it's disrupting my and my wife's enjoyment of the game. I certainly give people the benefit of the doubt, but when it continues I will say something, and I will say it nicely. Again, it's all about courtesy.

Haven't chimed in yet on this thread, but i think it's time i do....

I agree with most of what JimH has said in this thread. To those of you saying simply "grow up and quit b****ing" you are simply ignorant to what goes on at baseball games, or maybe you just don't care about missing things during the game. To each his own.

The problem isn't getting up and blocking my view...the problem is that people do it constantly, in the middle of batters, without consideration for anyone else. Is it that hard just to have SOME courtesy for the people around you? Do you really have to exit the seats at least once per inning? What the hell are you doing the whole game?

Many times people will get up in the middle of an at bat and slowly exit while looking back at their friends and taking a food order or some s*** like that. That's pretty damn annoying. Or standing up to take a beer order. Yes, it is possible to pass beer while sitting and not blocking my view for what can last an entire at bat.

You don't have to be a 'perfect fan' at the game and watch every pitch like a lot of us want to do, but simple courtesy for people around you is all people ask for.

Of course, i grew up at the Chicago Stadium where you got the s*** kicked out of you if you didn't wait for a whistle. That's the way i like it. That doesn't mean we should fight over this crap...but you get the idea that the Stadium knew how to run itself, and everyone was better off for it.

In general i think 'fans' today are pretty ignorant and aren't even there to watch the game anymore, and i think that's a shame. Fan courtesy, from what i can tell, has only gotten worse over the years.

Maybe it goes down deeper into the characteristics and trends in our society...or maybe i'm just way off. But i think on the whole, people are just much more disrespectful and inconsiderate to others...and this translates to the ballpark.

I do ask my kids to wait. I'm just trying to see from a perspective of somebody else.

One of the greatest lines ever written in a song:

"It's easier to hate than to understand"

I just always try to understand from somebody elses aspect. To say you had an "awful time" because somebody was doing something as innocent as getting up to...whatever, is being silly and a little ridiculous. You are asking people to live by your rules, in a public place, where everybody else around you paid the same exact price as you paid to be where you are. I myself have been in situations where a bathroom will NOT wait a few minutes. Yeah, I could wait maybe, but waiting for an at-bat to end can be a VERY long time if the batter is fouling off pitch after pitch and you have a slow working pitcher on the mound. No personal info here, but sometimes, you NEED a facility ASAP.

I always try to be respectful of other people, and it doesn't always work both ways, that is life. Am I going to try and find a way of "stoppping" it? No, not at a place like this. To think you can stop it is silly. Just what I am sure the Sox organization wants, a bunch of yahoo's patrolling the stands for them. Maybe we can come up with a new ad slogan!

"Leave your f***ing kids at home and stay in your goddamn seats!".

Maybe not poetry, but it might work. :D

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 12:00 PM)
You are asking people to live by your rules, in a public place, where everybody else around you paid the same exact price as you paid to be where you are.

What kind of event are we at? A baseball game. Many people there, therefore, will want to watch the game.

And they paid the exact same price to be where you are, to watch the game, not you the entire game.

No one's saying kids can't go to the park. And no one is even b****ing over a bathroom break or two blocking a pitch or two. It's the constant annoyances by a few fans...and we all have seen these people. That's when it gets to people.

QUOTE(sec159row2 @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 03:38 PM)
i don't remember "telling you when to post" i do remember telling you there are clueless people everywhere...

I do remember you stating that if it was that bad I would have vented sooner:

let me get this straight... you went to tuesday night's game and it took you till thursday at 4 pm to complain... if it was that bad you probably would have vented soone

I guess what you are saying is that I am taking this comment the wrong way?

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 12:03 PM)
What kind of event are we at? A baseball game. Many people there, therefore, will want to watch the game.

And they paid the exact same price to be where you are, to watch the game, not you the entire game.

No one's saying kids can't go to the park. And no one is even b****ing over a bathroom break or two blocking a pitch or two. It's the constant annoyances by a few fans...and we all have seen these people. That's when it gets to people.

Kids can do anything to me.. remember the beer spilling on my LV purse IK... ?

I have a very high tolerance for them. But I am also the first to "shhsh" someone during the NA.. and ask those in front of me to sit. I don't care about people getting up during an inning so much. I just don't see the point in b****ing about it.. 95% of people do it. I'd be b****ing the entire game. :lol:

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 12:07 PM)
Kids can do anything to me.. remember the beer spilling on my LV purse IK... ?

I have a very high tolerance for them. But I am also the first to "shhsh" someone during the NA.. and ask those in front of me to sit. I don't care about people getting up during an inning so much. I just don't see the point in b****ing about it.. 95% of people do it. I'd be b****ing the entire game.  :lol:

Tell me about it :rolly

:ph34r: :lol: