Awful Experience at Sox Park (Cellular Field)

southsideirish

I doubt very much that there is any open-air stadium banning smoking. Though I would say it should be curbed around children. Especially the stoggies. That's the only problem I've had in the past. I find it's best to just ask the person to put it out when they light up & the smoke bothers any one in my party.

I do think it would be a good idea though for the ushers to say something when people are lighting up around children. It would save the need for a fan on fan confrontation.

As for walking the aisles the White Sox are among the leaders in MLB in both concessions & concourses in general. Curbing the aisle traffic is not going to happen. People don't just go to the game at the Cell. They want to walk around & take everything in. We do this every game. When we are with children we skip the bullpen bar but we still walk the entire concourse. It's fun to do & we like the food.

I can't think of any place that ranks better than the Sox in terms of food. I'm sure there are several that rank close or equal.

I don't think the answer is curbing the flow but rather widening the aisles.

They should do this throughout the stadium & I hope JR & company consider it. But they need much greater attendance before they think about spending any money in doing so. If they widen the aisles I really think it's one of the better parks in the majors to watch a game.

I would also say increase the interactive stuff. The kids love it. The races on the jumbo-tron, baseball trivia, all of it. It doesn't seem like a big deal but it is. Every inning they should have something interactive. It wouldn't hurt to have a guest star (kid's cartoon figure) show up at the park either. I'm surprised the White Sox don't do this. They could partner with Great America. Have Bugs & the rest of the Looney Tunes promote the White Sox & have the White Sox promote GA. It seems like a perfect match.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do believe that smoking is banned in the seats, and only allowed on the concourse. Next time you have a problem with the one guy smoking in front of you, turn around and look on the concourse, and there you will see a rather large group of people smoking. Tell the usher somebody is smoking, and the usher will have the person move out of the seating area.

I do believe that smoking is banned in the seats, and only allowed on the concourse. Next time you have a problem with the one guy smoking in front of you, turn around and look on the concourse, and there you will see a rather large group of people smoking. Tell the usher somebody is smoking, and the usher will have the person move out of the seating area.

That seems simple but it's not. We are dealing with people here & getting up to tell an usher is likened to ratting someone out. They might not be as friendly to you when you return. That's why I just confront the fan directly. Then again I'm a big guy so I can see where that might not be as effective for smaller people. That's why I think it's better if the ushers are pro-active in curbing this. It's not that hard to see cigar smoke

coming from seats in the LD.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 12:12 PM)
That seems simple but it's not.  We are dealing with people here & getting up to tell an usher is likened to ratting someone out.  They might not be as friendly to you when you return.  That's why I just confront the fan directly.  Then again I'm a big guy so I can see where that might not be as effective for smaller people.  That's why I think it's better if the ushers are pro-active in curbing this.  It's not that hard to see cigar smoke

coming from seats in the LD.

True, plus you would have to wait until the at-bat was over and by then the cig might be gone. :ph34r:

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 06:08 PM)

yeah, but then I might miss a pitch.... in a 3 hour, 9 inning game.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 10:04 AM)
I doubt very much that there is any open-air stadium banning smoking.  Though I would say it should be curbed around children.  Especially the stoggies.  That's the only problem I've had in the past.  I find it's best to just ask the person to put it out when they light up & the smoke bothers any one in my party.

I do think it would be a good idea though for the ushers to say something when people are lighting up around children.  It would save the need for a fan on fan confrontation.

As for walking the aisles the White Sox are among the leaders in MLB in both concessions & concourses in general.  Curbing the aisle traffic is not going to happen.  People don't just go to the game at the Cell.  They want to walk around & take everything in.  We do this every game.  When we are with children we skip the bullpen bar but we still walk the entire concourse.  It's fun to do & we like the food.

I can't think of any place that ranks better than the Sox in terms of food.  I'm sure there are several that rank close or equal. 

I don't think the answer is curbing the flow but rather widening the aisles.

They should do this throughout the stadium & I hope JR & company consider it.  But they need much greater attendance before they think about spending any money in doing so.  If they widen the aisles I really think it's one of the better parks in the majors to watch a game. 

I would also say increase the interactive stuff.  The kids love it.  The races on the jumbo-tron, baseball trivia, all of it.  It doesn't seem like a big deal but it is.  Every inning they should have something interactive.  It wouldn't hurt to have a guest star (kid's cartoon figure) show up at the park either.  I'm surprised the White Sox don't do this.  They could partner with Great America.  Have Bugs & the rest of the Looney Tunes promote the White Sox & have the White Sox promote GA.  It seems like a perfect match.

In Angel & Dodger Stadium - it is ILLEGAL to smoke while in the seats (Yay California!). I have the same problem with people who outside at restaurants (just because it's outside doesn't make it less illegal, or wrong).

QUOTE(longshot7 @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 01:45 PM)
In Angel & Dodger Stadium - it is ILLEGAL to smoke while in the seats (Yay California!).  I have the same problem with people who outside at restaurants (just because it's outside doesn't make it less illegal, or wrong).

It's not allowed at Comiskey either.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 06:30 PM)
yeah, but then I might miss a pitch.... in a 3 hour, 9 inning game.

HA HA! Hysterical! I don't believe anyone here is talking about 1 pitch. I think those that don't like this act are talking about the consistency of it. It is not just one fan for one pitch, but a growing amount of fans who think this is ok. This makes it go from being 1 pitch missed to 90% of the pitches missed. Thank you for adding your wonderful insight though.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 02:02 PM)
HA HA! Hysterical! I don't believe anyone here is talking about 1 pitch. I think those that don't like this act are talking about the consistency of it. It is not just one fan for one pitch, but a growing amount of fans who think this is ok. This makes it go from being 1 pitch missed to 90% of the pitches missed. Thank you for adding your wonderful insight though.

Good grief.. that font couldn't be any more green.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 07:02 PM)

It was it green, so take it easy there High Speed.

do the math, 1 pitch per fan, 27,000 fans=missed about 8 innings of the game....and your welcome.

this whole thread just seems stupid to me... if you're upset about something why dont you ask the dude to stop smoking or get security... and as far as people getting up... not to beat a dead horse but that happens so deal with it! It really shouldnt be this big of a deal... especially not 15 pages worth

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 12:04 PM)
I doubt very much that there is any open-air stadium banning smoking.  Though I would say it should be curbed around children.  Especially the stoggies.  That's the only problem I've had in the past.  I find it's best to just ask the person to put it out when they light up & the smoke bothers any one in my party.

I agree about curbing the smoking around kids, but the funny thing is, the earliest baseball memory I have is seeing the light standards of Comiskey Park as I walked toward the park and smelling some old dude's cigar smoke. Cherry. It smelled good to me, even as a 6-year-old.

Whenever I smell a cigar I think about that for a second.

It makes me smile every time.

But I never did take up smoking - go figure.....well, I tried smoking for about 2 weeks in high school, but I didn't like it so I left it at that.

I'm an ex-smoker. My buddy and I were pretty pathetic. We used to cut straws to little stubs, place a cig on the end of it, and then stick it in a large cup with a little ice in it, and then smoke in the movie theaters. The ice kept the cup from heating up too much. Heh, we were such rebels.

i just find it odd that out of all of the people on this board - and thats a lot - you're the first one to complain about this... i dont know i just figure if its actually an issue it would have been a bigger deal before now.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 01:21 PM)
I'm an ex-smoker. My buddy and I were pretty pathetic. We used to cut straws to little stubs, place a cig on the end of it, and then stick it in a large cup with a little ice in it, and then smoke in the movie theaters. The ice kept the cup from heating up too much. Heh, we were such rebels.

...and you guys aren't working for NASA now???....

:D

QUOTE(The Critic @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 07:14 PM)
I agree about curbing the smoking around kids, but the funny thing is, the earliest baseball memory I have is seeing the light standards of Comiskey Park as I walked toward the park and smelling some old dude's cigar smoke. Cherry. It smelled good to me, even as a 6-year-old.

Whenever I smell a cigar I think about that for a second.

It makes me smile every time.

But I never did take up smoking - go figure.....well, I tried smoking for about 2 weeks in high school, but I didn't like it so I left it at that.

I was just gonna say that. Some of us who grew up at the Old Comiskey, remember how things used to be. The fights, the swearing, the smoking. Learned a lot there, a lot of my 'firsts' were there. We've come a long way. Good times.

QUOTE(JimH @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 04:34 PM)
I do not want to speak for ssi, so I will speak for myself.

Personally, I am much more tolerant of little kids, I remember being a kid.  I also remember my dad telling me to hang on until there was a stoppage in play, and then up we went to the bathroom.  Not that hard.  However, my dad felt it was more important to teach me about respecting and understanding other people's viewpoints vs. attending to my every need immediately.

This is no knock on you or your 7 year old whatsoever.  I don't have a problem with people walking in front of me when the game is going on ... once.  If they keep doing it, I will say something.  No one can tell me that telling a 7 year old to wait until after the batter is finished is a huge deal.  There are different perspectives on this board and different perspectives in terms of what is considerate behavior and what isn't.  No harm in that. :cheers By the same token, you and your 7 year old walk in front of me once when the game is going on, no problem.  I understand there can be emergencies.  Do it twice, I will nicely request that you please try to wait until after the batter is done to exit or enter the row.  And hopefully I will not get verbal s*** thrown back at me, as so often happens.

Example:  last Sunday the wife and I were using quick's seats in the Club Level.  A family of four sat behind us (mom, dad, two boys about ages 8 and 10).  I'm sure they are a very nice family.  The older boy had happy feet, and kept swinging his feet and kicking the back of my chair ... kick, kick, kick.  I turned around to the father and asked, nicely I may add "are these your two boys?"  He said  "yeah, what's the problem?".  I knew right then and there ... oh oh.  This is a dad who thinks his kids can't do anything wrong.

So I said "well, is there any way you can ask him to not kick the back of my chair, I would appreciate it."  Said the mom "Jason, stop kicking".  Said the dad at the same time as the mom "Sheesh ... what's the big deal, they're boys".

I thanked the mom, and said to the dad, "No, I understand they're young, but kicking the back of the chair is annoying, I'd appreciate your help, that's all."

He gave me a snarly look and gave me the evil eye every time he came back up the aisle for the rest of the game.

Now, I understand 10 year old boys are antsy, and stuff like this happens in crowds.  However, I was dismayed that this particular dad apparantly felt his kid could do no wrong, and everyone there at the ballpark should adapt to his kid.  If the kid wanted to kick the back of my chair, too bad for me, I should just suck it up and let this kid kick the back of my chair for nine innings ... because, well, the father thought I should.

To this I say ... bulls***.  The kid kicked the chair once or twice the rest of the game, I am sure by accident, that was fine and I didn't say anything.

I don't expect kids to be perfect angels, they are kids and it's a ballgame.  However, when they are doing something which clearly is annoying or disruptive, I expect the parents to DO something about it, and not give me s*** for asking.

Frankly, I shouldn't have to ask ... monitor the child's behavior.  But maybe that's just me and I am in my 40's and my perspective is different.

It is perfectly ok to have different levels of tolerance for certain behavior.  But people should understand that by the time you have to ask someone to stop, the behavior has been going on for a while and it's disrupting my and my wife's enjoyment of the game.  I certainly give people the benefit of the doubt, but when it continues I will say something, and I will say it nicely.  Again, it's all about courtesy.

Jim nice post, and let me add this. I brought my six year old (girl) to the game this year, she wanted to go to the bathroom and I told her to wait until the inning was over. She asked again and I told her not ask me again until the break. When the break happened, we went. She can hold it, its good practice.

Now on to the kid kicking the chair, I maybe different than other fathers, but i actually pay attention when my children go to games or even when they sit on an airplane, they kick the seats they are told BY ME to knock it off. I also explain why I am telling them to knock it off. They do it again, and I take the seat behind them and start kicking it, so they know what it feels like. They don't like it, and they got the picture. They don't kick chairs anymore. its done. they will learn the right way because entitlements are earned in my family and kids whether they are 7 or 20 usually cannot survive without an adult caring for them and telling them what the hell to do. If the adults are s*** heads then I guess the kids will be as well.

again common courtesy no matter where you are goes along way.

i just find it odd that out of all of the people on this board - and thats a lot - you're the first one to complain about this... i dont know i just figure if its actually an issue it would have been a bigger deal before now.

It's not a huge issue but it is an issue. And it has been brought up before, many times, by many different posters in one form or the other.

Jim nice post, and let me add this. I brought my six year old (girl) to the game this year, she wanted to go to the bathroom and I told her to wait until the inning was over. She asked again and I told her not ask me again until the break. When the break happened, we went. She can hold it, its good practice.

Now on to the kid kicking the chair, I maybe different than other fathers, but i actually pay attention when my children go to games or even when they sit on an airplane, they kick the seats they are told BY ME to knock it off. I also explain why I am telling them to knock it off. They do it again, and I take the seat behind them and start kicking it, so they know what it feels like. They don't like it, and they got the picture. They don't kick chairs anymore. its done. they will learn the right way because entitlements are earned in my family and kids whether they are 7 or 20 usually cannot survive without an adult caring for them and telling them what the hell to do. If the adults are s*** heads then I guess the kids will be as well.

again common courtesy no matter where you are goes along way.

Great post.

QUOTE(JimH @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 01:31 PM)
It's not a huge issue but it is an issue.  And it has been brought up before, many times, by many different posters in one form or the other.

ok thats kool, i just have never personally had a problem but if other people have then it's an issue.

JimH and quickman both of those posts were great and i agree with both of you