Who is your fav Sox Mgr of all time

Winnin Ugly

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesox91403 @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 11:20 PM)
I really liked Torborg also. I was pissed when he left for The Mets.

Trivia Question for everyone: who were/was the manager(s) for The Sox between LaRussa and Torborg

I was just reading about this in The White Sox Encyclopedia. Fregosi was one, but there was another. I know it, but I will let somebody else answer it.

Hint: His comment started the "Winnin' Ugly" motto.

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 02:13 AM)
I was just reading about this in The White Sox Encyclopedia.  Fregosi was one, but there was another.   I know it, but I will let somebody else answer it. 

Hint:  His comment started the "Winnin' Ugly" motto.

Doug Rader...

Here aresome winning percentages as Managers of the Sox:

Can you match the winning % with the manager?

Guillen - Manuel - LaMont - Bevington - Torborg - Fregosi - LaRussa - Tanner

No cheating now! :nono

Edited by knightni

QUOTE(Winnin Ugly @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 05:36 PM)
I would never vote for AL Lopez that guy was such an idiot for not voting for Nellie Fox getting into the HOF..

IMO Lopez is the worst mgr ever for screwing your own ballplayer

FYI: That's just a story that's gotten around without any proof or substantiation. Lopez himself has denied it.

QUOTE(Tannerfan @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 08:53 PM)
Don't you guys remember Tony Larussa? And of course the great Chuck Tanner. These are the only 2 Sox managers who went on to manage World Series winners with other teams.

Those were the two I thought of.

Don't you guys remember Tony Larussa? And of course the great Chuck Tanner. These are the only 2 Sox managers who went on to manage World Series winners with other teams.

I may be wrong here but didn't Bob Lemon manage a WS winner with the Yankees after being White Sox manager?

Or did he just take the Yankees to the WS?

Edit: Lemon was let go by the White Sox in 1978 and almost immediately went over to manage the Yankees. Yankees won the World Series in 1978, that was the Bucky Dent HR at Fenway year.

So it's LaRussa, Tanner, and Lemon who managed a WS winner after being White Sox manager.

Edited by JimH

QUOTE(Winnin Ugly @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 05:36 PM)
I would never vote for AL Lopez that guy was such an idiot for not voting for Nellie Fox getting into the HOF..

IMO Lopez is the worst mgr ever for screwing your own ballplayer

He also kept Billy Pierce under wraps in the 59 WS. Lopez was a smart baseball man and a good game day strategist. He was also thin skinned and dictatorial. Still, all in all he did more with less for a longer period of time than any manager in my lifetime. For all his faults he is the best Sox manager in the last half century. Ozzie Guillen on the other hand is a disaster waiting to happen. I wish he would just put a muzzle on it for the rest of the season. Outspoken is one thing. What Ozzie sometimes does is quite another.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 06:47 PM)
Al (The Senor) Lopez and Eddie (The Brat) Stanky. The Brat during 1967 was classic.

Stanky calling Yaz an "all star from the neck down" wasn't the smartest thing in the world to do. Stanky could be very abrasive to the point that it hurt the team. Umpires and opponents just loved sticking to the "Brat".

QUOTE(Yossarian @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 01:57 PM)
Stanky calling Yaz an "all star from the neck down" wasn't the smartest thing in the world to do. Stanky could be very abrasive to the point that it hurt the team. Umpires and opponents just loved sticking to the "Brat".

I'm going with Tony LaRussa...just something about him.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 05:12 PM)
Bevington? Just kidding. It's nto goign to be a popular choice but as a 22 year old, I'll go with Torborg. That 1990 team was as fun of a team as I've seen and I think he was good with young players. He was kind of the early for of Ozzieball in Chicago

Bevington? HAH!!! I used to love watching his face turn red when he'd argue with the umpired. Looked like a big fat stop sign.

This may not be a popular reply, but I liked Jerry Manuel a lot. Yea, he f***ed the team on a consistant basis, but underneath all of that he was one hell of a man. I met him on several occasions and he even signed a baseball of mine with "God sees greatness in you."

I respect the J-Man and hope he can find success elsewhere in the big leagues. Get him a power team with some good pitching and he's your man.

This may not be a popular reply, but I liked Jerry Manuel a lot. Yea, he f***ed the team on a consistant basis, but underneath all of that he was one hell of a man. I met him on several occasions and he even signed a baseball of mine with "God sees greatness in you."

I respect the J-Man and hope he can find success elsewhere in the big leagues. Get him a power team with some good pitching and he's your man.

Maybe we will see Manuel managing the Yankees sometime soon.