The question so obvious that noone thought to ask

Who would you most like to see in a Bears uniform?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you most like to see in a Bears uniform?

• Alex Smith
    • Aaron Rodgers
    • Ronnie Brown
    • Carnell Williams
    • Cedric Benson
    • Braylon Edwards
    • Mike Williams
    • Derrick Johnson
    • Antrel Rolle
    • Other

If JA does actually want to take Benson, then he should trade down and grab extra picks.

Everything I've seen suggests that Benson could be had as low as 9 or 10. - Some ridiculous mocks have him at 13 or 14, which is certainly not the case with the other 2 RBs.

To use the 4th overall pick on him would be a bad move on JA's behalf.

IMO IF the Bears stay at #4, they will NOT be taking Benson. If they trade down they will.

I'm probably completely wrong, but I guess we'll all know in 28 hours 39 minutes time. :)

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Undoubtedly: the Bears are in a great position to really upgrade that offense.

Drafting Braylon Edwards or Mike Williams instantly adds credibilty to the offense and the offensive passing game would you all agree? Either of those guys offer deep threats, great size, and game-breaking ability. The thought of giving Rex two outstanding recievers to throw to is really a breath of fresh air. Drafting a WR also give you the flexibility to add a backup RB in the later rounds. Anyone that doesn't think this a deep RB draft is downright goofy. With guys like Fason, Moats, Gore, Arrington, Barber III, Kay-Jay Harris, and Eric Shelton, you can comfortably add your backup RB without burning that 2'nd round selection.

Drafting one of the top-three RB is also a very good thing. Would we agree that Carnell, Brown, and Benson all have star quality? All three of those guys could be high-profile RBs and it could happen in less that three years--that is outstanding. You would also give Rex two capable RBs lining up behind him that can pound it out down-after-down. Never underestimate the importance of a bruising running attack--it opens up the passing game, it protects the QB, and it's a safe way to pick up yardage. The WR pool is not nearly as deep as the RB pool, but guys like Roddy White, Jermone Mathis, Chris Henry, Reggie Brown, even Mark Clayton will all be hanging around in the 2'nd round.

Also, Benson is an upper-tier RB and will establish himself as one of the best in the game in two years' time. He's a skilled runner, tough, durable, always hits the hole,--a workhorse. He may very well be the next ubber-RB in the city of Chicago.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 10:28 PM)
Harris, none of the backs you are mentioning are even close to the caliber of Benson.  And, if the conditions were the same for Benson and Jones -- just on a hunch, I bet that Benson would rack up more yards than Jones.

I also think we can get a pretty good TE at two.  If that Miller kid is still there (out of West Virginia, right?), then that's damn good value in the second round...

Yes Benson probably could rack up better yards but I would rather have Jones and MWilliams than Benson and Bobby Wade.........

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 09:03 PM)
Yes Benson probably could rack up better yards but I would rather have Jones and MWilliams than Benson and Bobby Wade.........

Hmm -- to each his own, I guess.

I haven't seen Jones have one year where he's dominated. Then again, I was a pretty big fan of Anthony Thomas, too -- and people questioned that.

LaDanian Tomlinson.

1300 rushing yards

441 receiving yards

1741 total yards.

And that was a down year. The prior two years he put up over 2000 yards.

Those are the type of rb's Brown and C. Williams can become. Dominant players. You can split time between 2 rb's because you can control their touches.

Thomas Jones is a good back, but one of these rb's could be one of the top 5 NFC rb's for the next few years.

There will be a good receiving option available in the 2nd. I mean its a dream, but if Clayton fell, or we traded up for him that is a great compliment to Mush.

SB

Its funny how Carnell doesn't get talked about much. I haven't seen enough of Carnell to say much about him, but statistically he put up great numbers and he's supposed to be a strong athlete.

I mean there was a reason he was starting over Ronnie Brown.

Carnell is flat out sick.

The problem is Ronnie Brown may be more flat out sick.

The only time I have seen something like this was with Jerome Bettis and Ricky Waters, that is rb's on the same team who had so much potential.

SB

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 03:29 PM)
Carnell is flat out sick.

The problem is Ronnie Brown may be more flat out sick.

The only time I have seen something like this was with Jerome Bettis and Ricky Waters, that is rb's on the same team who had so much potential.

SB

I agree. I've followed Ronnie a little more and he's definately got the raw physical tools. I mean I wouldn't complain with either of the two. I also think Cedric is a damn good back as well though.

I don't have a problem with any of the 5 guys being talked about (the backs or the WR's).

Liked Cadillac more.

When Cadillac was injured, Brown started.

From what I can tell they are friends and it was just a matter of Cadillac being the number 1 guy. I always question that when I say that I want Brown over Cadillac, but when you look at what Brown could be, it is hard to pass on him.

I think it was Gil Hodge who said something actually smart on ESPN last night, College football coaches are out to win college football games, not groom guys for careers in the NFL. Auburn had a pretty good record those years, so why fix something thats not broke?

I mean if your team is doing well are you going to switch running backs?

SB

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 04:10 PM)
Hmm -- to each his own, I guess.

I haven't seen Jones have one year where he's dominated.  Then again, I was a pretty big fan of Anthony Thomas, too -- and people questioned that.

Has A-Train signed with anybody yet?

• 2 years later...
QUOTE(knightni @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 03:44 PM)
Well...

That worked well.

Guess we shoulda taken Edwards eh?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 03:45 PM)
Ronnie Brown would have been a good pick too.

Too bad both of those guys were taken before Benson. Carnell Williams, Troy Williamson and Mike Williams are the only RB/WR taken after Benson in the top 20 picks of that draft.