Ordonez calls Sox skipper his 'enemy'

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

But once he was asked about visiting with Guillen, the fireworks began.

"No. I don't want to see him," said the soft-spoken Ordonez of his manager last season.

That reference to Guillen only tipped off the brief, but pointed, commentary from Ordonez. Surprisingly, Ordonez expressed no problems with general manager Ken Williams, who seemed to be the center of the offseason firestorm when Ordonez switched representation to Scott Boras.

"We never clicked, even when we played together," Ordonez continued on his relationship with Guillen. "I don't consider him my friend. I have nothing to say. I don't want to see him. I don't want to talk to him. He's my enemy. Even if he talks to me and tries to apologize, I won't accept it."

The problem Ordonez has with Guillen, on the surface, appears to stem from the perception that Guillen stuck his nose into the on-going contractual negotiations with the White Sox in 2004. Ordonez said Thursday that those sort of situations are between the general manager, the owner and his agent, and that the manager simply should worry about his team.

But Guillen has a different recollection of that particular issue. He remembers being approached by Tom Reich, Ordonez's agent at the time, in terms of doing what he could to help bring home a multi-year deal for his client. Ordonez and Guillen also talked about the situation at a bar in Baltimore in early May, according to Guillen, before Ordonez injured his left knee during a collision with Willie Harris in Cleveland late in the game on May 19.

Guillen said that he had a similar talk with Freddy Garcia, and the big right-hander signed a three-year deal shortly thereafter last season.

At the point of the injury, Guillen advised Ordonez to think about the offer on the table from the White Sox. That deal was worth $60 million over five years, with more money deferred. Ordonez eventually signed a five-year, $75 million deal with Detroit.

Focusing on Guillen's involvement in the contractual issue was the manager's mellowest state during his 10-minute talk Thursday. When he was told that Ordonez considered him an enemy and wouldn't accept his apology, Guillen fired back in a manner primarily not suitable for a family audience.

"Apologize to who? I don't have to apologize to anybody," Guillen said. "He's the first one to name me. He said I was pushing him to play, and I was responsible. Don't make me feel like I was the bad guy in this.

"He's playing with fire. I'm not afraid of him. I have nothing to do with Magglio wearing the Detroit Tigers uniform.

"Every time he played for me, he played good," Guillen added. "But if he thinks I'm his enemy or I have something against him, that's up to him."

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well part of it is the media's insistence on asking him about his Chicago-based past, but Maggs doesn't hesitate to give them fodder.

Everyone is sick of it by now. But if he considers the Sox enemies, that's logical enough considering they're in the same division.

Ordonez said Thursday that those sort of situations are between the general manager, the owner and his agent, and that the manager simply should worry about his team.

If I'm not mistaken, Ordonez WAS part of the team last season, therefore, signing one of your key players, would be something the manager should worry about.

Wow, how many times have I defended Ozzie? Is this the first?

Maggs, you're such a prick. The guy who singled you out as a great player who should have gotten a chance earlier, and you finger him as the bad guy? Let it go. You have a hundred f'n million dollar contract, and you b**** ABOUT IT?

Stfu. You got more money injured than you deserved healthy, and you b****? You're injured this moment for a (hernia???? INSERT INJURY HERE), and you...

And that's enough. Maggs is just not worth it, people.

Its surprising that Ordonez has a problem with Guillen and not KW. It seemed that KW was the one that talked about him the most this off-season. Well I miss Clee and Maggz but it seems that they both had problems being in our club house so maybe it is better that they are gone :huh

Regardless I still both of them have nice careers.

whatever rangercal. I don't drink the kool-aid, I follow baseball. Look that LAST thing anyone needs around here is to hav e areferendum on Ozzie or Maggs. I've made my feelings perfectly clear abotu the way that JR?KW/Ozzie have portrayed Cabllao/Maggs/Valenitn/Frank. At some point we have to let this die.

Edited by Punch and Judy Garland

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 09:20 PM)
whatever rangercal. I don't drink the kool-aid, I follow baseball. Look that LAST thing anyone needs around here is to hav e areferendum on Ozzie or Maggs. I've made my feelings perfectly clear abotu the way that JR?KW/Ozzie have portrayed Cabllao/Maggs/Valenitn/Frank. At some point we have to let this die.

Ozzie didnt start this BS. He also didn't bring it back up. Maggs did.