Ordonez calls Sox skipper his 'enemy'

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 05:41 AM)
somebody provide news about what the talk shows are saying about this today.

Cold Pizza was talking about it this morning. They went over Ozzie's comments, but they didn't say that is was in retaliation to Maggs so it looked like Ozzie was talking s*** for no reason. Of course, Skip Bayless bashed him pretty bad.

I know Cold Pizza isn't the best sources for news, just something to watch while killing time before class. :gosoxretro:

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 02:59 PM)
In the Southtown article Guillen makes it clear that Maggs played hard for him.  KW thanked Maggs for the years that he played here and the numbers he put up at Soxfest.  Ozzie went out of his way to compliment Maggs before this series started.  Guillen has tried to help Magglio Ordonez at every stage of his career, even before Maggs was on the 40 man roster.

Only one person won't let this go, and keeps bringing it up after everyone has gone quiet about it.  And it hasn't been just once, it has been repeatedly.  And since Ozzie's character got attacked in this one, I don't blame him at all for snapping.  Ozzie has probably done more for Magglio's career than any other individual, and this is how Maggs repays him.  Good for Oz.

I see your point. My point is, Ozzie should have made one final statment to the press a while back and let that person go on and on about it if they wish. Let them make themselves look bitter and childish. I think KW did that. He was getting roped into it for a while and then must have thought this is BS, I'm done.

I guess I have to get used to Ozzie and his big, dumb mouth.

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 10:08 AM)
Ozzie has done s*** for Magglio's career. Ozzie would love to take full credit for it, but it was Magglio who earned his way to the major leagues, not Ozzie popping off to Schueler about him. Ordonez was hitting .329 when he was called up in 1997. I think Maggs played 21 games in 1997 with Guillen as a teammate. Their paths did not cross again until 2004 long after Ordonez established himself as one of the better players in the game.

"Tried to help" is much different than taking full credit for. And no kidding Maggs had to hit before he got to the big leagues, I thought just the recommendation of a player would get you a call up... Come on.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 08:59 AM)
Only one person won't let this go, and keeps bringing it up after everyone has gone quiet about it.  And it hasn't been just once, it has been repeatedly.  And since Ozzie's character got attacked in this one, I don't blame him at all for snapping.  Ozzie has probably done more for Magglio's career than any other individual, and this is how Maggs repays him.  Good for Oz.

People suggesting Ozzie place himself above this obviously are not familiar with his blunt demeanor. Ordonez continues to reference our organization in interviews, and although the media is responsible for rehasing old issues, it's Magglio's responsibility first and foremost to avert questions of his past.

I honestly find this situation quite comical. I love it when people are in hissy fits about quoted information in newspapers. I can vividly picture some people picking up their Tribune today, stewing about this latest battle of words. While his comments relating to Frank were unjustified and detrimental to our clubhouse chemistry, this situation has far less effect on our team. So, fire away Ozzie. :drink

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 08:47 AM)
Heres another quote found in the tribune "He knows I can (bleep) him alot of different way.  He better shut the (bleep) up and play for the Detroit Tigers."

Ozzie says he can f*** Maggs alot of different ways??  Ummm roids possibly......

Bernstein on the Score this morning drew the same inference - that Ozzie knows that Maggs used roids, and could "hurt" Maggs that way. Bernstein also recalled a conversation from their opening day remote. He said he told KW "Did you know that edema can cause your forearms to shrink?" jokingly, and KW just ignored the opening.

FWIW.

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 09:21 AM)
Bernstein on the Score this morning drew the same inference - that Ozzie knows that Maggs used roids, and could "hurt" Maggs that way. Bernstein also recalled a conversation from their opening day remote. He said he told KW "Did you know that edema can cause your forearms to shrink?" jokingly, and KW just ignored the opening.

FWIW.

I doubt that he is referring to steriods. If Guillen comes out and says he knew Maggs used roids, and he's a member of management, he is going to have a lot of explaining to do in the commissioner's office.

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 09:21 AM)

FWIW.

Rumor in MLB locker rooms had it that Mags was one of the big abusers.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 10:28 AM)
I doubt that he is referring to steriods. If Guillen comes out and says he knew Maggs used roids, and he's a member of management, he is going to have a lot of explaining to do in the commissioner's office.

Why..? They were legal at the time.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 08:52 AM)
When did Maggs whine while he was here?... and when did Ozzie or anyone else criticize his play? Most of this started after he was gone.

I think the bashing of some former Sox players by the Sox is too bad, it's even more sad that a big part of the fan base buy into it. They're gone, it didn't work out, move on. I guess we have find a reason to hate them too.

I dont need someone else to make me buy into anything. When you whine and cry about your huge contract not being large enough, thats anough for me. Its nice that you are trying to take the high road on the argument, but its already come to light that Maggs is not the person you think he is, otherwise his comments wouldnt be as such.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 03:58 PM)
I dont need someone else to make me buy into anything.  When you whine and cry about your huge contract not being large enough, thats anough for me.  Its nice that you are trying to take the high road on the argument, but its already come to light that Maggs is not the person you think he is, otherwise his comments wouldnt be as such.

Tell me, what kind of person do I think Magg is? How would I know that? From blips in the paper? I don't think Maggs is squeaky clean in this whole thing, far from it. I remember Maggs turning down the contract offer, I remember him being asked about it and giving an answer. I must have missed the quotes with him whining and b****ing about it while he was with the Sox. And if he did, it's old news, he's gone, why reply when he rehashes it?.....game over, shut it Ozzie.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 10:09 AM)
Tell me, what kind of person do I think Magg is? How would I know that?  From blips in the paper? I don't think Maggs is squeaky clean in this whole thing, far from it. I remember Maggs turning down the contract offer, I remember him being asked about it and giving an answer.  I must have missed the quotes with him whining and b****ing about it while he was with the Sox.  And if he did, it's old news, he's gone, why reply when he rehashes it?.....game over, shut it Ozzie.

Good point, I cannot read your mind...Guess I was wrong :bang

Point is, I think that Maggs was a great player for the sox, produced in ways that we hadnt seen in a long time. But the character flaws are coming into light now. He told ownership not to hire Ozzie-personal attack, he left the city that he said he wanted to stay in for the possibility of more money-greedy, he now says unsolicitied that Ozzie is his enemy and he wouldnt talk to him-personal attack. What do you expect Ozzie to do in that situation, knowing who Ozzie is. He is not Phil Jackson, when he got Ozzie we knew that he was the type of person who responds honestly, and when personally attacked, again, of course he is going to respond. If that makes you feel uncomfortable, then you should write JR and tell him to re-hire Manuel. I think that Ozzie's response was fine, Maggs is acting like a little girl. I do not hate him because he is not on our team, in fact I still Love El Caballo among others, but Maggs is not the person I thought he was, because if he wasnt a whiner, then he wouldnt have said what he said, and he could of taken the high road.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 04:20 PM)

Point is, I think that Maggs was a great player for the sox, produced in ways that we hadnt seen in a long time.  But the character flaws are coming into light now.  He told ownership not to hire Ozzie-personal attack, he left the city that he said he wanted to stay in for the possibility of more money-greedy, he now says unsolicitied that Ozzie is his enemy and he wouldnt talk to him-personal attack. What do you expect Ozzie to do in that situation, knowing who Ozzie is. He is not Phil Jackson, when he got Ozzie we knew that he was the type of person who responds honestly, and when personally attacked, again, of course he is going to respond.  If that makes you feel uncomfortable, then you should write JR and tell him to re-hire Manuel.  I think that Ozzie's response was fine, Maggs is acting like a little girl.  I do not hate him because he is not on our team, in fact I still Love El Caballo among others, but Maggs is not the person I thought he was, because if he wasnt a whiner, then he wouldnt have said what he said, and he could of taken the high road.

That's a very good point about what I should expect from Ozzie because of the way he is. :cheers

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 10:20 AM)

Point is, I think that Maggs was a great player for the sox, produced in ways that we hadnt seen in a long time.  But the character flaws are coming into light now.  He told ownership not to hire Ozzie-personal attack, he left the city that he said he wanted to stay in for the possibility of more money-greedy, he now says unsolicitied that Ozzie is his enemy and he wouldnt talk to him-personal attack. What do you expect Ozzie to do in that situation, knowing who Ozzie is. He is not Phil Jackson, when he got Ozzie we knew that he was the type of person who responds honestly, and when personally attacked, again, of course he is going to respond.  If that makes you feel uncomfortable, then you should write JR and tell him to re-hire Manuel.  I think that Ozzie's response was fine, Maggs is acting like a little girl.  I do not hate him because he is not on our team, in fact I still Love El Caballo among others, but Maggs is not the person I thought he was, because if he wasnt a whiner, then he wouldnt have said what he said, and he could of taken the high road.

I agree. This whole thing started when a reporter asked MAGGS a question and he said Guillen was his enemy. Guillen was responding to what Maggs said about him.

I wish all of this would end also but Maggs brought it up. I hope Maggs does well but please shut up.

It's been pretty evident in the past that Ozzie may have a hard time keeping his mouth shut. However, Ozzie is paid to win ball games. We keep playing with the same mentality and intensity, then Ozzie is doing his job.

Ozzie's comments about Frank were once again blown out or proportion by the media, and Ordoñez took the first shot at Oz. Most of us when faced in the same scenario, would defend ourselves just as Ozzie did.

Sure Ozzie may go off time to time, but isn't it better than the managers we've had to deal with in the past? Ozzie has intensity, fire, and a passion. He won't stand for bulls***, and in my opinion is the right type of guy you want managing your team.

As for Maggs, he needs to stfu and focus on getting healthy. His team sucks right now.

Just my 2 cents on this whole fiasco.

CWSOX45

Edited by CWSOX45

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 10:39 AM)
Correction.. they were not illegal in baseball at the time.

Were they legal or just not tested for? I really don't know the answer. I always assumed steriod use without a prescription was illegal. I am also assuming if Guillen knew anything about Ordonez and steriod usage he would have picked that knowledge up last season when they definitely were banned.

when I saw that quote from Ozzie about how he could hurt Maggs had to figure it was about the juice, especially now that maggs looks 15-20 pounds lighter than his White Sox days.

Be interesting to see if Maggs fires back today -- or when the Tigahs come to Chicago.

Or if Reinsdorf steps in and tells Ozzie to shut it down.

Detroit Free Press ignored this story and the Detroit News only had a few paragraphs.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 11:53 AM)
Were they legal or just not tested for? I really don't know the answer. I always assumed steriod use without a prescription was illegal. I am also assuming if Guillen knew anything about Ordonez and steriod usage he would have picked that knowledge up last season when they definitely were banned.

I really don't either to be honest with you.. they definitely weren't tested for.

Who's to say those on them weren't getting scripts for them... :ph34r:

Maybe Maggs was on the juice previously and got off them prior to last year..... and that's what Ozzie knows.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 12:03 PM)
From what I understand, the Marte-Lee thing was personal.

So it is with Maggs now. Maggs at one point or another has pretty trashed everyone and everything about the Chicago White Sox. But after this there is personal blood involved here. I think it will be someone close to Oz, which is why I think it will be Garcia that does it. I think he would be the most likely of the pitching staff to drill Ordonez.