Ordonez calls Sox skipper his 'enemy'

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Apr 24, 2005 -> 07:56 AM)
Sorry, I'd rather not have the team follow that example, responding to everything w/ 'Piece of s***, I can f you over good.'  Ozzie is one sorry-ass example.

You know, I really see your point. But this team has been so lifeless and playing with no heart for the past 3 or 4 years that I really don't care how it looks to the media. As long as the team plays with an edge and keeps winning, that's what matters. Sure, Ozzie took it to an extreme. OK. The guy got pissed and rightfully so. Ozzie is what Ozzie is and that's what we are going to get from time to time. He doesn't "respond to everything" that way. He responded to Maggot Ordonez blindsiding him in the press when Ordonez should be keeping his mouth shut.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 24, 2005 -> 01:20 PM)
You know, I really see your point.  But this team has been so lifeless and playing with no heart for the past 3 or 4 years that I really don't care how it looks to the media.  As long as the team plays with an edge and keeps winning, that's what matters.  Sure, Ozzie took it to an extreme.  OK.  The guy got pissed and rightfully so.  Ozzie is what Ozzie is and that's what we are going to get from time to time.  He doesn't "respond to everything" that way.  He responded to Maggot Ordonez blindsiding him in the press when Ordonez should be keeping his mouth shut.

Absolutely Maggs should shut up. But if Ozzie really has no control over his emotions -- so that for the umpteenth time he just can't help himself b/c he saw something in the press or didn't like the look he got (Showalter, Maggs, which ump was it last year?) -- then he's not cut out to manage a team. I'm not saying he shouldn't respond to Maggs -- but doing it this way, cursing out someone and threatening them, is just embarrassing. There have been lots of intense managers, guys w/ a chip on their shoulder -- but the only outburst I can think of that compares to Ozzie's is Lee Elia's -- which has made Lee Elia a one-line joke (to everyone but Sox fans, of course). I've been looking around for something just as embarrassing from Lou Piniella, who's got (or had) an edge, if anyone does, and I can't find anything comparable.

Ozzie KNOWS this is coming from the press, he can't be so dumb as to be "blindsided".

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Apr 24, 2005 -> 08:41 AM)
Absolutely Maggs should shut up.  But if Ozzie really has no control over his emotions -- so that for the umpteenth time he just can't help himself b/c he saw something in the press or didn't like the look he got (Showalter, Maggs, which ump was it last year?) -- then he's not cut out to manage a team.  I'm not saying he shouldn't respond to Maggs -- but doing it this way, cursing out someone and threatening them, is just embarrassing.  There have been lots of intense managers, guys w/ a chip on their shoulder -- but the only outburst I can think of that compares to Ozzie's is Lee Elia's -- which has made Lee Elia a one-line joke (to everyone but Sox fans, of course).  I've been looking around for something just as embarrassing from Lou Piniella, who's got (or had) an edge, if anyone does, and I can't find anything comparable.

Ozzie KNOWS this is coming from the press, he can't be so dumb as to be "blindsided".

So we don't see eye to eye on this. So be it.