Another Aussie

Heads22

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 11:00 PM)
I sure hope so. The Twinkies signed a really good SS prospect down here last week. Boston, San Diego and Minny pretty much own this area.

Yeah I read about that Aussie from the daily dish at BA. Alex Smit.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 02:09 PM)
Yeah I read about that Aussie from the daily dish at BA. Alex Smit.

Matthew Lawman's his name;

AFTER a bidding war by three Major League Baseball clubs, Williamstown teenager Matthew Lawman has signed a seven-year contract with the Minnesota Twins.

Lawman, a Year 12 student at Williamstown High, was shocked after signing a $100,000 deal.

"When I got the first offer, I didn't know what to think," the Newport shortstop said.

"But when another team was interested in me, I was in a state of disbelief. I'm rapt."

He will report to the Minnesota spring training facility in Florida in March, enabling him to finish his VCE.

That's why I signed early, so I could concentrate on school a bit more," Lawman said.

The first Victorian to sign a professional contract this year, Lawman was a stand-out performer for Victoria at the under-18 national championships in January.

Twins scout Howie Norsetter saw Lawman, 17, at the 2003 under-16 national titles and, taken with his progress in the year, urged them to act.

"Matthew's one of the best athletes and hitters coming through the Victorian system," he said.

"He has a great work ethic and his ability to switch-hit will contribute to him becoming a successful part of our organisation."

Lawman's dream of becoming a professional baseballer began in the state under-14 team.

"That's when I realised it could happen," he said.

"I knew if I just kept trying and trying . . . there were older guys ahead of me getting offers."

FORT MILL, SC--  The Chicago White Sox/Charlotte Knights made two roster moves this afternoon. They have signed RHP John Stephens and they have also released RHP Joe Winkelsas.

Stephens, 25, pitched in one game for the Paw Sox in 2005 going 0-1 with a 9.00 era. In his one outing this season Stephens lasted 4.0 innings and allowed 4 earned runs on 6 hits. Stephens spent the 2004 season with the Paw Sox going 9-6 with a 4.47 era in 24 games. Stephens also played for the Australian Olympic team in 2004 and helped his team win a silver medal at the games. 

Winkelsas, 31, pitched in four games for the Knights this season going 0-0 with a 6.48 era. Winkelsas allowed a combined 6 runs on 11 hits in 8.1 innings pitched during his four outings with the Knights.

FORT MILL, SC--  The Chicago White Sox/Charlotte Knights made two roster moves this afternoon. They have signed RHP John Stephens and they have also released RHP Joe Winkelsas.

Stephens, 25, pitched in one game for the Paw Sox in 2005 going 0-1 with a 9.00 era. In his one outing this season Stephens lasted 4.0 innings and allowed 4 earned runs on 6 hits. Stephens spent the 2004 season with the Paw Sox going 9-6 with a 4.47 era in 24 games. Stephens also played for the Australian Olympic team in 2004 and helped his team win a silver medal at the games. 

Winkelsas, 31, pitched in four games for the Knights this season going 0-0 with a 6.48 era. Winkelsas allowed a combined 6 runs on 11 hits in 8.1 innings pitched during his four outings with the Knights.

White Sox must really have a line on the Pawtucket Red Sox. They picked up Raul Casanova, he played for Pawtucket last year ... and there was somebody else too, can't recall.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 12:42 AM)
Smit is a pitcher and is Dutch.

Yeah I wasn't talking about the Aussie that DBAH0 said signed. BA did a daily dish on this guy the 19th. I forgot that he was Dutch. Oh well, lol. By 'that Aussie from the daily dish' I was talking about the Daily Dish, not the guy DBAH0 was talking about. But you are right, I don't know why I thought he was an Aussie with that name.

Edited by danman31

QUOTE(danman31 @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 03:26 PM)
Yeah I wasn't talking about the Aussie that DBAH0 said signed. BA did a daily dish on this guy the 19th. I forgot that he was Dutch. Oh well, lol. By 'that Aussie from the daily dish' I was talking about the Daily Dish, not the guy DBAH0 was talking about. But you are right, I don't know why I thought he was an Aussie with that name.

Well, his name wasn't something unbelievably Dutch like van der Steijn or something, lol.