Redskins interested in Bears #4 pick

At least one NFL team is willing to talk about trading up in Saturday's draft, and the Bears are listening.

The Washington Redskins claim they have contacted "every team in front of us and behind us," according to football operations chief Vinny Cerrato, after adding the 25th pick in a trade with Denver to their ninth spot in the first round.

Washington's calls include the Bears at No. 4. The Redskins like Michigan receiver Braylon Edwards and are angling to package their picks to move up. But nothing can be finalized until the Redskins are certain the player they want is available.

In a draft without an obvious top tier, the Bears aren't the only team happy to listen to offers to trade down. General manager Jerry Angelo said he will answer calls but not make them. Coach Lovie Smith said Thursday the phones aren't ringing "as much as you'd think."

"We like our position, with the fourth pick getting a good player, keeping all options open," Smith said. "If someone makes us an offer you can't refuse, you have to listen, and that's what we're doing."

If it's Texas running back Cedric Benson they want, the Bears should be comfortable because the three teams in front of them don't appear interested in him. What limited trade talk there has been centers around Edwards and Mike Williams of Southern California.

With three top running backs—Benson and Auburn's Carnell Williams and Ronnie Brown—and three top receivers—Edwards, Williams and South Carolina's Troy Williamson—the Bears would have a good shot at getting one of them if they traded for Washington's ninth pick. The difference in signing bonuses between No. 4 and No. 9 is $5 million to $6 million, often bigger than the difference in talent.

Of the top backs and receivers, Benson and Williamson are the most likely to last until the ninth spot. Williamson is the fastest of the three receivers and one of the fastest-rising prospects because of his potential to flourish in a pro offense after only 43 catches last season.

With the first pick, the San Francisco 49ers remain in contract negotiations with Utah quarterback Alex Smith that have lagged. Smith wants a deal comparable to the six-year, $54 million Eli Manning got from the New York Giants last year.

California quarterback Aaron Rodgers would play for less and help 49ers owner John York avoid a long holdout and potential public-relations disaster.

The Miami Dolphins are said to prefer Smith over Rodgers if they go quarterback, but new coach Nick Saban also is entertaining a trade down to recoup the second-round choice the Dolphins gave to Philadelphia for QB A.J. Feeley.

Saban has no qualms about giving up a so-called surefire player with the second choice.

"Is there a Julius Peppers out there? Do you see one? Just because you have the second pick in the draft doesn't mean it's surefire," Saban said.

That comment is not likely to entice anybody to trade up, unless it's the Redskins, who appear desperate to make a splash after coach Joe Gibbs' disappointing first year back.

The Redskins gave up their third-round pick (No. 76) plus next year's first-round and fourth-round picks to snag Denver's 25th spot. It's a very steep price unless the Redskins are collecting ammunition to move up and make it a one-man draft. Most draft observers don't see enough difference in value between the 25th and 76th spots to warrant giving up a No. 1 and a No. 4.

I really dont like the 9 selection, and think that its possible the players the Bears want will be gone by then.

But, the Bears could trade with the Redskins, and then try and trade back up with the Titans. Through those deals they would have something around, 6, 25, and the Titans 3rd. We would give up our 4 and our 2nd, but for moving back 2 spaces in the draft we will improve from the early second to late first, and also get a free 3rd round pick which we are lacking.

If the Redskins are trading up to get M Williams or B Edwards, the Bears at 6 would be gauranteed atleast 1 of the top 3 Rb's were there. And maybe even 2 for them to chose between.

SB

The Redskins cant trade up to 4 and if they do the Bears are dumbasses

#9 and #25 isnt enough for #4, and the Skins have nothing else of value... no 2nd, and no 1st round next season..

They dont have the ammo for a trade up of that value, Bears need to stand where they are and grab Mike Williams or a RB at #4 because Im starting to believe Miami is gonna take Braylon

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 08:32 AM)
No suprise Mccaskey's do not want to pay a 15 mil signing bonus to anyone.

Its actually the smarter thing to do if you rate all of those guys on an even talent scale. think Edwards is the one guy they have off the charts and if he's there the Bears probably wouldn't move down.

However if the Skins make that deal the Bears will jump and will grab one of the RB's or Williamson. I've seen many places that say Williams could slide and its really not that easy of a call between Williams and Williamson.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 11:16 AM)
Redskins can always offer next years picks too.

:)

Dont forget that Snyder will vasty over pay for something he wants.

SB

They dont have a first next year, they already traded it away.. and #4 overall is worth a next years first as well which they cant offer.. The Skins have like 5 picks this year I think.. 2 firsts and then some 4ths or higher... they dont have the ammo IMO

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 12:08 PM)
From charts Ive looked at

4 is around 2200 points

9 is 1300

25 is 750

200 points is a mid 3rd round pick.

So all the Redskins have to do is offer a 2nd round for next year and its a pretty fair trade. No way is the 4 worth 3 1st round picks.

SB

Actually, youd be surprised

No I really wouldnt.

Go through the history of the draft and see how many times the 4th pick has been worth 3 first rounders.

The Bears traded their last 4th pick for:

14 and 22, and a 4th rounder

14 and 22, and 4th rounder (116) on the point scale add up to:

1100 (14), 800 (22), and 70 (116)

Meaning that the Bears only recieved 1970 points for the 4th pick, which is lower than what they would be getting from the Redskins.

::shrugs:;

SB

Brad Biggs has been saying JA is desperate to move down. He rates Mike Williams over Braylon Edwards and thinsk he could maybe move down and grab Williams.

Thats obviously risky, but the Bears have quite a few guys that rate similarly.

On a sidenote, I've seen a few places say that the Skins would include Rod Gardner with the 2 1st to sweeten up the deal. I don't know what you guys think, but I'd be damn tempted.

You get two 1st rounders which could go to Derrick Johnson or Williamson/Williams or Benson (one of those guys will be there at 9) and then you can go with Heath at 25 and go RB or Kicker in rd 2. Personally I think Nugent would look pretty darn good. Plus you have Gardner and Mushin which is a pretty big upgrade over last years receiving core.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 02:56 PM)
Brad Biggs has been saying JA is desperate to move down. He rates Mike Williams over Braylon Edwards and thinsk he could maybe move down and grab Williams.

Thats obviously risky, but the Bears have quite a few guys that rate similarly.

On a sidenote, I've seen a few places say that the Skins would include Rod Gardner with the 2 1st to sweeten up the deal.  I don't know what you guys think, but I'd be damn tempted.

You get two 1st rounders which could go to Derrick Johnson or Williamson/Williams or Benson (one of those guys will be there at 9) and then you can go with Heath at 25 and go RB or Kicker in rd 2.  Personally I think Nugent would look pretty darn good.  Plus you have Gardner and Mushin which is a pretty big upgrade over last years receiving core.

Bottom line, I want Mike Williams....and that's it. And no f***ing Cedric Benson.

I would like it trade down to 9.

One of Brown, Caddy, Benson, MWill will fall to 9.

Then grab someone like Matt Jones at 25.

One of the top 5 RB/WR guys will be there at 9.

Smith

Rodgers

Rolle

Pacman

Are all probably going top 9 throw in the 5 WR/RB and you have one falling to the Bears.

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 01:32 PM)
No I really wouldnt.

Go through the history of the draft and see how many times the 4th pick has been worth 3 first rounders.

The Bears traded their last 4th pick for:

14 and 22, and a 4th rounder

14 and 22, and 4th rounder (116) on the point scale add up to:

1100 (14), 800 (22), and 70 (116)

Meaning that the Bears only recieved 1970 points for the 4th pick, which is lower than what they would be getting from the Redskins.

::shrugs:;

SB

Whatever you want to believe man ;)

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 05:01 PM)
In a draft where the #1 is not even commanding 3 1's, the suggestion that the #4 will command that much is pretty strange.

We shall see.

SB

I never said it would take 3 #1's I just said that they dont have a #1 next year or any higher picks to deal this year... so they wouldnt have the ammo to do so.. It all depends on how bad they want a certain player with the amount they will give up for them

If they give us like both their their 1st rounders and Rod Gardner and all we have to give them our 1st and les say a 4th or 5th id do it. We get our WR need and if we draft Troy Williamson we have an actual strength at WR. Or who knows maybe some stud like Pac Man Jones or Derrick Johnson are available at #9.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 08:41 PM)
If they give us like both their their 1st rounders and Rod Gardner and all we have to give them our 1st and les say a 4th or 5th id do it.  We get our WR need and if we draft Troy Williamson we have an actual strength at WR.  Or who knows maybe some stud like Pac Man Jones or Derrick Johnson are available at #9.

Getting Rod Gardner and drafting Williamson isnt needed... Gardner and Muhsin is good as it is

You wanna use the other 2 picks on need pos.

If Ware is available at #9 he would be a beast, and then at 25 you take the best player there to help your team (For the Bears) which will still be a nice addition