Chicago Bears Draft Thread

I really don't like how Benson tried to blame race for one of the reasons that he might have been slipping on some team's draftboards. He failed to mention that his stock started going down after he ran slow 40s. My belief is this, who would you rather have:

- Thomas Jones at RB, with Muhammad and Mike Williams at WR

or

- Jones/Benson at RB, with Muhammad and B. Wade at WR

The choice is obvious to me.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 23, 2005 -> 05:23 PM)
Benson is not an average NFL back...

He was the most proven out of the three backs in college.  And he's so much better than Thomas Jones...

I respect your opinion, but Texas plays a total gimmick offense with Young in the shotgun nearly every play this season. Tell me one thing that Benson does that is better than the typical NFL running back? Personally, I thought Thomas Jones was pretty solid last season in a terrible offense in which teams knew that the passing game couldn't beat them.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 23, 2005 -> 05:25 PM)
I respect your opinion, but Texas plays a total gimmick offense with Young in the shotgun nearly every play this season.  Tell me one thing that Benson does that is better than the typical NFL running back?  Personally, I thought Thomas Jones was pretty solid last season in a terrible offense in which teams knew that the passing game couldn't beat them.

And yet he broke down halfway through the year.

When Thomas Jones puts it all together for one season, let me know. Benson put up the best numbers out of the three backs -- Caddy, Brown, and Benson. I could see you guys being upset about not having Mike Williams, but that's not to say Benson isn't a solid player.

Some more thoughts on it:

- Benson fumbled 7 times last season, way too much for a good college back.

- The difference between a top WR like Mike Williams and a 2nd round WR that the Bears might take like Reggie Brown or Mathis is a lot more significant than the difference between taking Benson in the first round and a RB like Morency or Fason in the 2nd round.

QUOTE(shagar69 @ Apr 23, 2005 -> 05:37 PM)
this is gonna be perfect. Vikes are gonna get Williams and we're gonna have to watch him kick our asses for the next 10 years. thanks Angelo

Williams was one of the best receivers I've ever seen in college football. He would hav easily been the first pick this season if he played last season. Thing that makes this worse is that it makes the Vikings trade of Moss a good trade now.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 23, 2005 -> 12:39 PM)
Williams was one of the best receivers I've ever seen in college football.  He would hav easily been the first pick this season if he played last season.  Thing that makes this worse is that it makes the Vikings trade of Moss a good trade now.

yes, i know. Two years ago, when i saw him, I said to myself, this guy will be the number 1 pick one day and a stud in the NFL. He just makes you say wow

I know i'm late but here's my 2 cents.

I'm not happy with the cedric benson pick for one reason, mike williams was on the board. I have no doubt benson is going to be good for the bears, i just wanted mike williams.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Apr 23, 2005 -> 05:53 PM)
I thought taking Benson over Williams was incredibly terrible!! You need more help at WR than RB IMO.....

That's what I was saying earlier. Thomas Jones isn't great by any means, but he's not well below average at his position like B. Wade/Gage/Berrian are.