Kintana... what a cutey.

qwerty

April 18, 2005 — A rare species of lemur, the distinctive-looking and endangered aye-aye, has been bred in captivity for the second time and is now being hand-reared in a British zoo, zookeepers said Friday.

Kintana, only eight weeks old, requires around-the-clock attention from his two keepers.

His birth was hailed by Bristol Zoo Gardens in the west of England as an important step in the long-term survival of Madagascar's aye-aye, which is classified as an endangered species and present in just 10 zoos around the world.

Kintana, who weighs 365 grams (12 ounces), is being fed a diet of soymilk. He will eventually be returned to his mother.

"In the first few weeks I was feeding him every two hours through a syringe with a plastic nibble, which meant setting my alarm throughout the night," said Caroline Brown, one of the zookeepers.

"At the moment, he can sit in the palm of my hand, but he is growing every day and can hold his head and walk about more confidently," Brown said.

The nocturnal aye-aye — with its yellow eyes, big ears, spiky hair and spindly fingers — has long been persecuted in its native Madagascar for its unusual looks and the belief that its presence is an ill omen.

Name: Aye-Aye (Daubentonia madagascariensis)

Primary Classification: Daubentoniidae (Aye-Aye)

Habitat: Tropical and subtropical rainforests, mangroves, dry forests and bamboo thickets.

Diet: Mainly wood-boring grubs and insects. Also fruit — especially coconuts — fungi, nectar and seeds.

Size: Around 16 inches in length.

Description: Black or brown fur with white tips; hair is long and coarse; large, black, spoon-like ears; long, white whiskers; large, yellow eyes ringed in black; black hands with elongated third finger; long, bushy tail.

Cool Facts: It is the world's largest nocturnal primate. It uses echolocation to find grubs deep inside trees, branches and logs, tapping its long finger on the bark and listening for hollow spaces inside.

Conservation Status: Endangered

Major Threat(s): Habitat loss and persecution.

What Can I Do?: Visit Madagascar Wildlife Conservation and the Madagascar Fauna Group for information on how you can help.

http://beta.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story...gs08xujn_photo0

http://www.animal.discovery.com/news/afp/2...418/ayeaye.html

Edited by qwerty