Jose Contreras Leg Injury

Texsox

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Apr 23, 2005 -> 10:22 PM)
Great news for us is that Contreras' next start would be on April 28th, which is an off day.  They could just go with El Duque on April 29th and so on, and hopefully Contreras would be healthy enough to make his start on May 4th.  That would give him 10 days to rest.

Once again fortune smiles on the ChiSox. This is a non-issue especially since we won.

"Contreras exits with hamstring injury

Veteran right-hander had retired 10 straight batters"

Contreras should make his next start, and the right-hander said as much in the clubhouse, his right leg covered in ACE bandages and multi-colored wires. Guillen, though, wasn't so sure just yet.

"We don't know," Guillen said of the severity of the injury. "I think he can walk, he can do a lot of different things, but when you push him. ... Tomorrow, I'll have a better idea."

B-Mac doesn't need to brought up to make 1 or 2 starts. Hell if you have to call up someone, make it Adkins (although he might be running out of options). Hopefully Jose does recover though, so this shouldn't be an issue ala the Mark Buerhle situation.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Walking wounded: Jose Contreras was also sporting the latest fashions in bandages Saturday night. The right-hander left after just 3 1/3 innings with a strained lower right hamstring.

The injury doesn't seem too severe, though, as both Contreras and Guillen said the right-hander should make his next scheduled start.

"He should be ready," Guillen said. "I expect him to start his next game. I hope he doesn't have to miss any starts. I think he'll be ready to go."

Should Contreras be shelved for that next start, 6-foot-7 right-hander Brandon McCarthy would be called up from Triple-A Charlotte, Guillen said.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 01:07 AM)
Jose looked like a totally different pitcher after Cooper gave him an earful the other night.  I hope he pitches the rest of the season like he did from the second inning and beyond.

I really believe AJ is the big difference in Contreras. AJ is making him throw a much bigger assortment of pitches with the fastball being the main pitch, instead of just the fastball and splitter, with the splitter being 80% of his pitches.

The difference has been staggering.

I really believe AJ is the big difference in Contreras.  AJ is making him throw a much bigger assortment of pitches with the fastball being the main pitch, instead of just the fastball and splitter, with the splitter being 80% of his pitches.

The difference has been staggering.

Yes, I agree. It appears they are developing a good rapport and comfort level, and Contreras doesn't have to think, just pitch. That's huge for a guy like Contreras who's had some confidence issues.

The same goes for Widger although I wasn't too impressed with how he and Hernandez worked together yesterday. El Duque was his own worst enemy with the 6 walks but it appeared he and Widger never got into a rhythm.

I didn't have a problem with the guys from last year in terms of how they handled the pitchers. But the more I watch, the more Pierzynski and Widger appear to be a step up.

Who would be the odd man out Wille Harris, Ozuna, Ross Gload..... and than someone else has to go down again when Frank comes back.

Still too soon to tell, or worry about. Although I'm sure they've been thinking about it.

Harris has been doing pretty well, despite that key bobble yesterday. Ozuna has been doing what they expect. Perez has been underachieving but it's likely another 4 weeks until Thomas comes back.

It will be a tough call, but there's no need to make it now. Things can change and usually do. If they get another injury along the way, they can activate Thomas and buy themselves another 15 days to make the decision.

Sox need to get a good solid 7 innings from the starters these next three games to give the bullpen a breather, they are a little taxed right now.