Question about Hawk

UC76

Has anyone noticed that in the middle of games Hawk Harrelson disappears for awhile? It usually happens around the fifth inning. DJ will take over and he'll be the only one talking for, it seems, an entire inning.

It's like Hawk leaves the booth to use the bathroom or something.

And it seems to happen everytime I watch.

I can't catch every game on TV but this seems to happen every time I watch.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Haha! Maybe.

But seriously, am I the only one who has noticed this? It's weird. Check it out. During about the fifth inning listen and Hawk won't say anything for like 10-20 minutes.

Of course, now that I mentioned this, he probably will. :huh

maybe he's enjoying hehe a Falstaff!hehe. Holy Cow! Have another Falstaff, folks! Where the hell am I? what the hell is going on? Is that Nomore Garshrea, Garseeaprer hell whose that guy in a Cubs uniform? Is that Busty Faker in the dugout? backwards that's no worldseries

I believe Harrelson is doing this to give DJ a little experience doing play by play, and it gives him a little breather as well.

DJ has commented that Hawk is always trying to teach and this gives DJ a chance to learn by being given the opportunity.

DJ has a long way to go in terms of play by play though. He has improved a little bit but he's got a long road to travel.

This happens in almost all baseball broadcasts. For one inning, or atleast half an inning in every game.... DJ takes over the play by play from Hawk, Farmer takes over for Rooney, Andy Mazur takes over for Pat Hughes on Cubs Radio (because Santo can't do a thing), etc. This is a normal occurence in baseball broadcasts. If you listen to the Sox radio broadcasts very much, alot of times after Rooney comes back from his break Farmer will ask him what he had to eat, etc.

QUOTE(JimH @ Apr 24, 2005 -> 10:31 AM)
I believe Harrelson is doing this to give DJ a little experience doing play by play, and it gives him a little breather as well.

Oh oh! Bye bye! :headshake

So, it's not to take "an old man poo"?

It's always happened but it appeared more random. Now it's the 5-6 inning like clockwork. Dj isn't good at PBP but the only way to get better is to do it. He's not nails ont he chalkboard so maybe he can improve some more. Anyone of us would be pretty bad trying it but we'd all make improvments throu trial by fire and dj probably will too. I don't think Hawk will take breaks the next few games so that he can do 9 innings of his anti-billy ball schtick. It's a twice annual tradition

It may be that this is the industry standard (the PbP guy taking a break during one inning or part thereof), but its the first time it has happened regularly with Hawk and DJ. DJ is a really nice guy and a good person to have in the organization, but let's face it, he just isn't cut out for the booth. If he has gotten better, it is baby steps only. If this was you or me and we were that bad at our full time job, we'd have been fired a long time ago. I appreciate the Sox and their loyalty, but when his contract expires (I believe at the end of this year), he needs to be reassigned within the organization and another guy brought in.

BTW, during the breaks where Hawk is gone, I picture Hawk downing Jack Daniels out of the bottle like Bob Uecker in Major League and saying "he ain't the best color man in game for nothing, folks!"

QUOTE(JimH @ Apr 24, 2005 -> 09:31 AM)

DJ has commented that Hawk is always trying to teach and this gives DJ a chance to learn by being given the opportunity.

DJ has a long way to go in terms of play by play though.  He has improved a little bit but he's got a long road to travel.

They were talking about this on the radio a few days back. Hawk usually leaves to get them something to eat and drink therefore giving d.j. a chance to run the show. :puke

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Apr 24, 2005 -> 10:52 AM)
This happens in almost all baseball broadcasts.  For one inning, or atleast half an inning in every game.... DJ takes over the play by play from Hawk, Farmer takes over for Rooney,  Andy Mazur takes over for Pat Hughes on Cubs Radio (because Santo can't do a thing), etc.  This is a normal occurence in baseball broadcasts.  If you listen to the Sox radio broadcasts very much, alot of times after Rooney comes back from his break Farmer will ask him what he had to eat, etc.

"Uh, oh, ahhhh, uh, but, eeeaaaahhhh, oh, um, um, yeah, Paaaaaaat, uah, well, ohhhhh, you see, um, oh, weeeelllll, wahhhhhh, booooohoooo, ohhh, ummmm, ackk, weeee."

That was just Santo describing a routine groundball to short.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 08:27 AM)
"Uh, oh, ahhhh, uh, but, eeeaaaahhhh, oh, um, um, yeah, Paaaaaaat, uah, well, ohhhhh, you see, um, oh, weeeelllll, wahhhhhh, booooohoooo, ohhh, ummmm, ackk, weeee."

That was just Santo describing a routine groundball to short.

You forgot "we have an email", "This Old Cub is available now on DVD", and either "ohhh, I don't like that" (if the Cub grounded out) or "yeah, attaboy" (if the opponent grounded out) :lol: