Bears Draft Grade

What grade would you give the Bears draft overall?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What grade would you give the Bears draft overall?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(T R U @ Apr 28, 2005 -> 09:15 PM)
I dunno man, Boldin looked outstanding in his rookie PRO BOWL season... Ide give them another year, both healthy, before passing judgement on them being a failing combo..

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic. At least that was how I read it.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Apr 28, 2005 -> 08:17 PM)
I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic. At least that was how I read it.

Its hard to tell who is joking and who isnt when you have people like southsideirish saying stupid crap like that and actually meaning it.. my bad jackie.. :D

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 02:16 AM)
Bradley wasn't even an impact player on his college team, so I'd be surprised if he made an impact on the Bears right away.

JA did say something like this after the first day of the draft, to the effect that they don't expect much of anything from Bradley this year except on special teams. He's your prototype project.

Edit: For practice: No, really, I meant exactly what I said. :D

Edited by jackie hayes

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Apr 28, 2005 -> 08:22 PM)
JA did say something like this after the first day of the draft, to the effect that they don't expect much of anything from Bradley this year except on special teams.  He's your prototype project.

haha your not supposed to use your EARLY 2nd round pick on a project like that... they should have made a smarter WR choice or a complete diff pick

QUOTE(T R U @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 02:23 AM)
haha your not supposed to use your EARLY 2nd round pick on a project like that... they should have made a smarter WR choice or a complete diff pick

My thinking too -- which is why all this praise for picking the guy is really confusing me. (Some people have questioned it, but a lot of people -- including Kiper, but not just him -- have said that this was a very smart pick. I dunno.)

QUOTE(T R U @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 02:19 AM)
Its hard to tell who is joking and who isnt when you have people like southsideirish saying stupid crap like that and actually meaning it.. my bad jackie..  :D

Read your own posts. You haven't posted one intelligent thing yet. At least you are consistent, because I havent seen you post anything intelligent since you've been posting here.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 02:25 AM)
My thinking too -- which is why all this praise for picking the guy is really confusing me.  (Some people have questioned it, but a lot of people -- including Kiper, but not just him -- have said that this was a very smart pick.  I dunno.)

Who is not a project in the 2nd round? Half of the 1st rounders are projects. That is a really ludicroud statement to make. Very few players are ready to start in the NFL right out of the draft.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 02:29 AM)
Justin Miller

Hmm, I think he is. I don't see him as a standout DB that is ready right now to make an impact. Later yes, but not right now.

Maybe the kicker the Jets took. He is pretty much good to go. Did you want a kicker?

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Apr 28, 2005 -> 08:34 PM)
Hmm, I think he is. I don't see him as a standout DB that is ready right now to make an impact. Later yes, but not right now.

Maybe the kicker the Jets took. He is pretty much good to go. Did you want a kicker?

Heh. I'm pretty burnt on the draft, but I will tell you I feel Bradley was a big time strech in the second round.

Justin Miller was there for the taking and would have gone in the first round if he wouldn't have been arrested the week prior to the draft and Nugent will be a staple for the Jets' kicking game for years to come.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 02:29 AM)
Who is not a project in the 2nd round? Half of the 1st rounders are projects. That is a really ludicroud statement to make. Very few players are ready to start in the NFL right out of the draft.

Matt Jones is a project, I'll grant you. But he's also switching positions while making the leap. Mark Bradley already made the switch to wr, and he didn't do much of anything. Now the Bears are saying he won't do much of anything for at least a couple more years. This sounds good?

Who is not as much a project as Mark Bradley: Looking at the list, I'd say basically the entire 2nd round, excluding Bradley. But for sure: Baas, Pool, Brown, Ruud, Cody, Bullocks, Burnett, Arrington, Roth, Nugent, Barnes (still a project, just not so much), Cody, Miller, Babineaux, Thurman,... Every draftee is a project in a sense. But a high second round pick, and the guy won't contribute until next year at the earliest, that's some real faith, right there.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 02:39 AM)
Matt Jones is a project, I'll grant you.  But he's also switching positions while making the leap.  Mark Bradley already made the switch to wr, and he didn't do much of anything.  Now the Bears are saying he won't do much of anything for at least a couple more years.  This sounds good?

Who is not as much a project as Mark Bradley:  Looking at the list, I'd say basically the entire 2nd round, excluding Bradley.  But for sure:  Baas, Pool, Brown, Ruud, Cody, Bullocks, Burnett, Arrington, Roth, Nugent, Barnes (still a project, just not so much), Cody, Miller, Babineaux, Thurman,...  Every draftee is a project in a sense.  But a high second round pick, and the guy won't contribute until next year at the earliest, that's some real faith, right there.

All those guys are projects. Give me a break. Who knows when he will contribute? Neither you or I know that. I would never project something like that. Who knows?

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Apr 28, 2005 -> 08:39 PM)
Matt Jones is a project, I'll grant you.  But he's also switching positions while making the leap.  Mark Bradley already made the switch to wr, and he didn't do much of anything.  Now the Bears are saying he won't do much of anything for at least a couple more years.  This sounds good?

Who is not as much a project as Mark Bradley:  Looking at the list, I'd say basically the entire 2nd round, excluding Bradley.  But for sure:  Baas, Pool, Brown, Ruud, Cody, Bullocks, Burnett, Arrington, Roth, Nugent, Barnes (still a project, just not so much), Cody, Miller, Babineaux, Thurman,...  Every draftee is a project in a sense.  But a high second round pick, and the guy won't contribute until next year at the earliest, that's some real faith, right there.

I'm with you every step of the way with that post jackie.

Every guy you listed is as NFL ready as they come. No doubt.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 02:37 AM)
Heh.  I'm pretty burnt on the draft, but I will tell you I feel Bradley was a big time strech in the second round.

Justin Miller was there for the taking and would have gone in the first round if he wouldn't have been arrested the week prior to the draft and Nugent will be a staple for the Jets' kicking game for years to come.

Some have him as a steal. I guess we will have to see. I don't think the Bears are in need of DB help as much as WR help, but that is JMO. Plus I said nothing bad about Nugent. If you have 3 picks or more in teh first 2 rounds then you can do that. However, when you have 2 picks in the first 3 rounds, you can't.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 02:42 AM)
All those guys are projects. Give me a break. Who knows when he will contribute? Neither you or I know that. I would never project something like that. Who knows?

Well... Angelo SAID that he won't contribute this year, so apparently the Bears know. From a Sun Times article: "Angelo expects him only to contribute on special teams in 2005". Angelo even knows that Bradley is a project, moreso than other players. In his own words, "We liked Reggie Brown and think he's more prepared to play right now. But Bradley brought something to us that we coveted more, and that was speed. And he's very tough. He's more of a work in progress, but he certainly has taken giant steps..."

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Apr 28, 2005 -> 08:42 PM)

Just throwing something out there.... but besides the fact there are a lot of players who arent projects, most people in rounds 1-3 arent projects...

The second day of the draft is when you find out who did the real scouting thats when most of the "projects" and potential players to help you down the line..

Edited by T R U

QUOTE(T R U @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 02:52 AM)
Just throwing something out there.... but besides the fact there are a lot of players who arent projects, most people in rounds 1-3 arent projects...

The second day of the draft is when you find out who did the real scouting thats when most of the "projects" and potential players to help you down the line..

Ok, so most of the players in rounds 1-3 are not projects? They are for sure NFL starters? Nothing to work on? No busts? They are ready to step into the NFL right now and start? What the hell are you smoking?

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 03:05 AM)
Ok, so most of the players in rounds 1-3 are not projects? They are for sure NFL starters? Nothing to work on? No busts? They are ready to step into the NFL right now and start? What the hell are you smoking?

That's not what projects means -- you might be as ready as you're ever going to be and still bust. That's not a project -- those guys don't need teaching, they need another vocation. A project is someone who simply doesn't have the skills/experience to start now.

I'm not saying Bradley won't be good -- eventually. Maybe he will. But he's a much bigger risk than most 2nd round picks (none of which is a sure thing, we all agree on that).

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 03:09 AM)
That's not what projects means -- you might be as ready as you're ever going to be and still bust.  That's not a project -- those guys don't need teaching, they need another vocation.  A project is someone who simply doesn't have the skills/experience to start now.

I'm not saying Bradley won't be good -- eventually.  Maybe he will.  But he's a much bigger risk than most 2nd round picks (none of which is a sure thing, we all agree on that).

That is exactly what I was saying. Most picks in the 2nd round do not have the skills/experience to start now. s***, a lot of 1st rounders don't even have that. Bradley may be a higher risk, but he will also be a higher reward.