Dallas Cowboys Draft

Have a look at their 1st 5 picks;

11 - Demarcus Ware - DE Troy

20 - Marcus Spears - DE LSU

42 - Kevin Burnett - LB Tennessee

109 - Marion Barber the 3rd - RB Minnesota

132 - Chris Canty - DE Virginia

Bartber was rated the 4th best running back by the Sporting News War Room, and Canty is a 1st round pick if he didn't get injured in his senior year. Perfect 3-4 DE with Spears if he can stay healthy.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Apr 24, 2005 -> 08:25 PM)
An excellent draft class.  Truly, an A+ grading.

I wouldn't say A+ for 2 reasons. Primarily because the general principle of A+ means perfect, and it is next to impossible to have a perfect draft, and I feel this is the same case here. They did have a magnificent draft, I would agree, but they could have used some depth and youth at WR, and didn't address that...but that is about the only beef I have with their draft. I truly feel all drafts could be better, but if you can get an A, you are very happy regardless, and that's probably what I would give them.

Secondly, I also wouldn't say it is an A+ draft, because as someone said on here, you really can't tell how good a draft is for a few years afterwards. Probably the best draft by a team in history was by a Steelers team in the 70s - can't remember which one specifically, though I do recall it was the draft that Bradshaw was drafted in - where they ended up with like 7 future HoFers. When you can draft 7 HoFers in the same draft, that is a perfect draft, regardless of whether you addressed all of your needs.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 02:36 PM)
I wouldn't say A+ for 2 reasons.  Primarily because the general principle of A+ means perfect, and it is next to impossible to have a perfect draft, and I feel this is the same case here.  They did have a magnificent draft, I would agree, but they could have used some depth and youth at WR, and didn't address that...but that is about the only beef I have with their draft.  I truly feel all drafts could be better, but if you can get an A, you are very happy regardless, and that's probably what I would give them.

Secondly, I also wouldn't say it is an A+ draft, because as someone said on here, you really can't tell how good a draft is for a few years afterwards.  Probably the best draft by a team in history was by a Steelers team in the 70s - can't remember which one specifically, though I do recall it was the draft that Bradshaw was drafted in - where they ended up with like 7 future HoFers.  When you can draft 7 HoFers in the same draft, that is a perfect draft, regardless of whether you addressed all of your needs.

wite give it up man

Dallas went out and got two BEASTS on the DLine... not only that, they pick up a solid LBer in round 2, THEN they get a RB that should be a very solid back up to Jones.. and to round it out they take a DE that had 1-2 round talent but injuries dropped him..

They got an A+

QUOTE(T R U @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 03:12 PM)
wite give it up man

Dallas went out and got two BEASTS on the DLine... not only that, they pick up a solid LBer in round 2, THEN they get a RB that should be a very solid back up to Jones.. and to round it out they take a DE that had 1-2 round talent but injuries dropped him..

They got an A+

I will give them an A...whether or not you agree does not matter to me.

I will refuse to give any team an A+ unless they addressed all of their team needs outstandingly. Dallas could have used depth at WR, and did not address it. Therefore, it is an A.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 03:26 PM)
I will give them an A...whether or not you agree does not matter to me.

I will refuse to give any team an A+ unless they addressed all of their team needs outstandingly.  Dallas could have used depth at WR, and did not address it.  Therefore, it is an A.

Terry Glenn

Keyshawn Johnson

Quincy Morgan

that is a very solid 3, not to mention Witten is a TE on the rise...

I seriously doubt adding a 4th WR to the group was a major concern for Dallas

It doesnt matter what you think they need, they filled what THEY think they needed, they did exactly that.. they get an A+

you can give them whatever you want, I just dont get your judgement on it.. They filled all the important needs they set out to do

QUOTE(T R U @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 05:48 PM)
Terry Glenn

Keyshawn Johnson

Quincy Morgan

that is a very solid 3, not to mention Witten is a TE on the rise...

That is a very old, slow, and loud 3. Not necessarily solid.

The Cowboys do need a speed receiver. This could be Terry Glenn's last year, so it could be something they'll address in the future, but Terrence Copper looked ok in the short time he played last season, and Patrick Crayton could be a jack of all trades WR if he comes on. But basically when Glenn went down, the Cowboys had no deep threat, so opposition defences could just gang up on Keyshawn and Witten on the line of scrimmage.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 03:36 PM)
Probably the best draft by a team in history was by a Steelers team in the 70s - can't remember which one specifically, though I do recall it was the draft that Bradshaw was drafted in - where they ended up with like 7 future HoFers.  When you can draft 7 HoFers in the same draft, that is a perfect draft, regardless of whether you addressed all of your needs.

Their draft wasn't QUITE that good. You're probably thinking of the 1974 draft when they selected 4 HOF: John Stallworth, Lynn Swann, Mike Webster, and Jack Lambert. They selected Terry Bradshaw and Mel Blount in 1970. They also took Joe Greene in 1969, Jack Ham in 1971, and Franco Harris in 1972. Now THAT is some drafting.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Apr 26, 2005 -> 07:20 AM)
Their draft wasn't QUITE that good. You're probably thinking of the 1974 draft when they selected 4 HOF: John Stallworth, Lynn Swann, Mike Webster, and Jack Lambert. They selected Terry Bradshaw and Mel Blount in 1970. They also took Joe Greene in 1969, Jack Ham in 1971, and Franco Harris in 1972. Now THAT is some drafting.

Yes! :headbang

I posted about that 1974 draft a while back as well. 4 hall of famers in the first 5 rounds.

But yeah, you gotta give it up to the Cowboys. Holy s***, what a draft. Them and the Chargers keep loading up on D like it's nobody's business.

Teams that I will be following closely next year:

Dallas

Carolina

San Diego

Baltimore

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Apr 26, 2005 -> 01:20 AM)

That would be the one

Mucho Gracias :notworthy