Primer

sox4lifeinPA

QUOTE(winodj @ Apr 24, 2005 -> 10:42 PM)
I thought this was going to be a joke about watching paint dry.

Whats the film about?

At night and on weekends, four men in a suburban garage have built a cottage industry of error-checking devices. But, they know that there is something more. There is some idea, some mechanism, some accidental side effect that is standing between them and a pure leap of innovation. And so, through trial and error they are building the device that is missing most. However, two of these men find the device and immediately realize that it is too valuable to market. The limit of their trust in each other is strained when they are faced with the question, If you always want what you can't have, what do you want when you can have anything?

I watched this a couple a days after it came out on dvd. I enjoyed it very much even though I really didn't know what was going on :P. But seeing as it was a pretty short movie I could handle it. I wish I had listened to the commentary. Maybe that would have helped a little.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 12:27 AM)
How cheesy did it look? I mean if he made the majority of it on his computer i have my doubts... he also stars in it i believe.

Well it looked like an independent film, but it didn't suffer because of it, and it definitely didn't look cheesy.

Well it seems like every place rates this so poorly because it really makes you think, mind boggling even.

Here are a couple.

"May very well be one of the best American movies of the year, and I'll be damned if I understood more than 40 percent of it."

-- Andrew Wright, THE STRANGER (SEATTLE, WA)

"Such a head-scratcher you might emerge from it with a doughnut hole in your temple."

-- David Elliott, SAN DIEGO UNION-TRIBUNE

QUOTE(qwerty @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 12:27 AM)
How cheesy did it look? I mean if he made the majority of it on his computer i have my doubts... he also stars in it i believe.

Shane explained why he ended up starring in it, I don't think the film suffers from it at all. Likewise with the way the film looks; you can tell it's independent to a certain degree, but there were some shots that I thought were quite good and probably better than some of the major studio directors. (fade away shot to outside the garage looking through garage door windows. ~10 minutes into the movie)

I think it was a very innovative film topically and in its implementation. I never had the feeling like "oh, this reminds me of....."

As for the mind numbing part, I'm gonna have to watch it a few more times to stop the "huh?" that keeps repeating in my head.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 08:14 AM)
Shane explained why he ended up starring in it, I don't think the film suffers from it at all. Likewise with the way the film looks; you can tell it's independent to a certain degree, but there were some shots that I thought were quite good and probably better than some of the major studio directors. (fade away shot to outside the garage looking through garage door windows. ~10 minutes into the movie)

I think it was a very innovative film topically and in its implementation. I never had the feeling like "oh, this reminds me of....."

As for the mind numbing part, I'm gonna have to watch it a few more times to stop the "huh?" that keeps repeating in my head.

"The first thing Shane Carruth should have done as a director was fire himself as an actor, because I think he gives a terrible performance."

-- Richard Roeper, EBERT & ROEPER

I would hope he is exaggerating.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 04:03 PM)
I would hope he is exaggerating.

I guess I was simply focused on trying to understand the movie. It's not poorly acted, however, it doesn't win awards for the acting...the concept is the winner.