ON CALL - Brandon McCarthy

S720

A clip from Chicago Sun Times:

"ON CALL: Brandon McCarthy pitched for Class AAA Charlotte on Sunday and would be in line to pitch in Friday's game at home against the Detroit Tigers if Jose Contreras is unable to return from a strained right hamstring.

Contreras pitched just 3-1/3 innings Saturday against Kansas City, hurting himself as he started to cover first base on a ground out to the right side by Mike Sweeney.

The Sox still will give it a few more days before deciding if Contreras can make his next start, but Guillen said he's expecting Contreras to take his next turn.

McCarthy is 1-2 with a 3.91 ERA at Charlotte."

Wow, McCarthy time is almost here! I'm not sure if I like this idea, but it certainly is intrigueing.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 08:30 AM)
I don't see why they'd call BMac up to make that start when the schedule allows them to just skip Jose's turn in the rotation. :huh

I think he's trying to keep his pitchers, as fresh as possible. Especailly Buerhle.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 07:30 AM)
I don't see why they'd call BMac up to make that start when the schedule allows them to just skip Jose's turn in the rotation. :huh

That is what I am thinking. I don't think they want to put Brandon on the 40 man until it is necesary, and with the extra off day, it buys them 5 extra days.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 12:36 PM)
That is what I am thinking.  I don't think they want to put Brandon on the 40 man until it is necesary, and with the extra off day, it buys them 5 extra days.

Yeah -- I don't get it either. If Contreras is only going to be out one or two starts, I don't see the need to call up McCarthy. Why not just call up someone like Adkins who can make a spot start if need be? I realize he hasn't shown a whole lot so far at Charlotte (Adkins), but he'd be servicable. I guess I don't see the need to get the arb. clock started so early...

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 06:30 AM)

Somebody needs to let Ozzie in on this. And why BMAC anyway, I thought Hermanson could handle these situations.

Edited by Leonard Zelig

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 09:05 AM)
Somebody needs to let Ozzie in on this.  And why BMAC anyway, I thought Hermanson could handle these situations.

Don't want to mess with Hermy unless it's absolutely necessary. He's too valuable where he is.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 08:10 AM)
At AAA?  The whole point of AAA is to have guys ready for the majors if we need them.  Besides the way Charlotte has been going, it won't make much difference...

No, as the future "Sox ace", as he has been hailed. To come up to pitch one game in this situation when there are other options is silly.

Edited by Leonard Zelig

I'm not sure how I feel about that possibility. On one hand, it's a low-pressure situation for B-Mac to get a taste of the big leagues during regular season. He'd know it's just 1-2 starts, not like he's auditioning for Contreras' spot.

On the other hand, I'd hate to see his confidence take a shot if we brought him up and he got roughed up.

I think he's tough enough mentally to handle that scenario. I just wonder how the team would handle it if that happened.

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 09:14 AM)
No, as the future "Sox ace", as he has been hailed.  To come up to pitch one game in this situation when there are other options is silly.

I agree. But Hermy shouldn't be that option. Skipping Contreras in the rotation due to the off day is the best option. We need Hermy to anchor that bullpen.

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 09:14 AM)
No, as the future "Sox ace", as he has been hailed.  To come up to pitch one game in this situation when there are other options is silly.

Or you could view it as the opposite... It would give him a chance to face a major league team, with no real pressure, as he would know that no matter what he was headed back to Charlotte. He wouldn't have to be perfect, as he wasn't trying to pitch for his job, like many of the 5th starters have been the last 5 years or so. He could go out there relaxed. It would also give him another notch in his belt of experience, to use for when he is up here "for real".

The arbitration clock scares me more than anything with Brandon. If we need a fifth starter, there is no doubt in my mind we call up Bmac. If we can get through this by utilizing the off day to skip Contreras, that is my first choice.

I'd like to break up the Cuban conection, regarless of Jose's health. Hernandez throws lots of pitches, and probably won't pitch past the 6th in many games. And you never know what you're going to get with Jose. I think having these two guys back to back could be somewhat taxing on our bullpen.

QUOTE(kane0730 @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 08:52 AM)
I'd like to break up the Cuban conection, regarless of Jose's health.  Hernandez throws lots of pitches, and probably won't pitch past the 6th in many games.  And you never know what you're going to get with Jose.  I think having these two guys back to back could be somewhat taxing on our bullpen.

This is a very good point.

QUOTE(ISF @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 08:22 AM)
I'm not sure how I feel about that possibility. On one hand, it's a low-pressure situation for B-Mac to get a taste of the big leagues during regular season. He'd know it's just 1-2 starts, not like he's auditioning for Contreras' spot.

On the other hand, I'd hate to see his confidence take a shot if we brought him up and he got roughed up.

I think he's tough enough mentally to handle that scenario. I just wonder how the team would handle it if that happened.

I think its been proven obvious that his mental makeup is probably his strongest talent which has lead him to succeed, unless you think its his blazing heater :huh

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 10:01 AM)
I don't see Contrereas missing a start so this may all be moot discussion.

I agree with you. But this could be a good time to shuffle our rotation to get someone between the El Duque and Jose.

QUOTE(LauraJ14 @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 10:30 AM)
The Sox have an off day on Thursday and next Monday so why wouldn't you just pitch El Duque on Friday, Garland on Saturday and Buehrle on Sunday?  Each guy would have his normal 4 days between starts.  Makes more sense to me.

^^^^^^^^^^ :)