ON CALL - Brandon McCarthy

S720

QUOTE(Beastly @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 01:17 PM)
White Sox rookies coming up usually do well in their first game.

Where were you last year?

Anyway, I just don't see how we can put BMac in the rotation yet. He would get rocked IMO. He hasn't shown dominance in AAA at all. He has walked a lot more batters than last season and has been inconsistent. I would rather see the Sox skip him in the rotation.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 01:51 PM)
Where were you last year?

Anyway, I just don't see how we can put BMac in the rotation yet. He would get rocked IMO. He hasn't shown dominance in AAA at all. He has walked a lot more batters than last season and has been inconsistent. I would rather see the Sox skip him in the rotation.

Bmac is working back from something that started bugging him at the end of spring. Thats big reason his control is out of whack. He'll be alright and I do agree with you. No reason to rush right now.

If its just one start I'd have Adkins or someone else up.

I think Jose will be ready for his next start, especially with an extra day of rest.

And if we do have to bring someone up, I would much rather have it be Adkins, since he's already been up.. Big Mac is still working out the kinks at AAA...we know he has talent, but he is too important to risk for 1 start. And let's try to remember...he's been in the minor leagues for a grand total of 1 year; he could almost certainly use the extra seasoning.

It might be a smart move in the long term to try to shuffle the rotation around a bit for the bullpen's sake...don't necessarily go 1-2-3-4-5 in that order - put Buehrle next to El duque or something like that.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 07:54 AM)
Yeah -- I don't get it either.  If Contreras is only going to be out one or two starts, I don't see the need to call up McCarthy.  Why not just call up someone like Adkins who can make a spot start if need be?  I realize he hasn't shown a whole lot so far at Charlotte (Adkins), but he'd be servicable.  I guess I don't see the need to get the arb. clock started so early...

I don't think money should have anything to do with this. if calling up McCarthy gives us the better chance of winning now, then call him up. but if not, then don't. but don't not call him up because we would have him on the club for six more years instead of seven.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 07:43 PM)
I don't think money should have anything to do with this.  if calling up McCarthy gives us the better chance of winning now, then call him up.  but if not, then don't.  but don't not call him up because we would have him on the club for six more years instead of seven.

But if that were the case, why didn't he start the season in the bigs?

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 08:48 PM)
But if that were the case, why didn't he start the season in the bigs?

because our rotation is solid 1-5, so it would be a waste to bring him up as a long-reliever. instead give him the starts in AAA until we need him.