"The Greatest Geopolitical Failure of 20th Cen"

southsider2k5

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 01:48 PM)
My best bud used to live in Russia and would totally agree with Putin.  It seems so puzzling, but then again most Russians think Gorbachev was a traitor.  Weird place in the world.

Gorby saw the writing on the wall but by the time he got in there was little he could do. It simply amazes me that people could wax romantic about a system that slaughtered more people than the Nazi's and kept half a continent under a blanket of repression for half a century.

You know what, in a sense Putin's kind of right. I wouldn't call in the biggest geopolitical disaster of the century, but its pretty far up the ladder as far as international relations go. The reason being is that throughout the late 1970s and 1980s, there had arrived a certain stability to world order by having two superpowers to ally with. With the Soviet Union gone and Russia being no more than a regional power, the geopolitical climate is much less stable. Although China is rapidly ascending into the role of second superpower, it is still at least 15-20 years away and there is no guarantee of that happening or of reaching a detente similar to what happened with the Soviet Union right away.

That being said, I think Putin didn't mean it that way, and his really just showing his true "commie" colors.