Frank not ready until all-star break

RockRaines

Thomas calls recovery 'really frustrating'

Foot injury has 'Big Hurt' thinking rehab long way off

Monday, April 25, 2005

By Joe Cowley

Staff writerKANSAS CITY, Mo. — Forget a May return. June might be a reach, too.

Heck, the way Frank Thomas was feeling Sunday, he would gladly consider a return to the White Sox by the All-Star break a success story.

The Sox slugger continues to battle tendinitis in his left foot, which forced him to cease all baseball activity for a week in mid-April. At this point, it's a losing battle, and a rehab stint in the minors any time soon is wishful thinking.

"We've got to try and do something with this, because it's getting to the point where it's getting really frustrating," Thomas said Sunday. "I don't know what we're going to do. (Head trainer Herm Schneider) says it's just one of those things. It's not like it was an overnight injury that just heals up.

"This is excruciating. After I run, it's just really, really sore. I ran the other day (Friday), and I ran hard, and it was really sore. I don't know what we're going to do now. Hopefully, we'll come up with something."

Thomas received a cortisone shot two weeks ago in an attempt to ease the pain. While the foot was far from 100 percent, it felt good enough for the 36-year-old to try and run hard on it Friday.

He paid for it Saturday.

"I don't think (the shot) worked," Thomas said. "It worked for about one week. Now it's just about grinning and bearing it, hope it gets to the point where the pain is just second nature."

Thomas insists his surgically repaired navicular bone is not the problem. However, the residual effects from that surgery — he was in a cast for months, basically locking his foot at a 90-degree angle — made the tendon weak.

The hope was the cortisone shot would help Thomas get to the point where he could run and begin his rehabilitation in Charlotte. Now, that rehab stint isn't even on the radar.

Until it is, Thomas will remain with the club to keep working with Schneider and to stay close to his teammates.

"Hermie and I ... we've just got to get a gauge on what's happening. That's the most important thing right now," Thomas said. "I have to remain patient, stay focused, because I'm not the first one to try and come back from a major injury.

"But watching this team play like they have is key. One of the things Hermie said is, 'Thank God we're playing well.' We aren't going to rush it. We don't need to rush it. It was a serious injury. It's not going to let me do what I want to do anyway. On some days, I can't even do anything."

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frank is one of my all time favorite players, and I honestly think he could contribute greatly this year with his walks, and at least scaring some pitchers. But I see this as the last glimpse of a great player in Chicago. If he doesnt come back this year, he is gone until he retires. This news is terrible.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 04:33 PM)
Frank is one of my all time favorite players, and I honestly think he could contribute greatly this year with his walks, and at least scaring some pitchers.  But I see this as the last glimpse of a great player in Chicago.  If he doesnt come back this year, he is gone until he retires.  This news is terrible.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 05:28 PM)
This is premature but IF he doesn't come back this year, it helps the chances of him returning because the market for him would be weak. I really do think he'll make it back by mid-year though.

What makes you think he'll be back this year?

We need Frank Thomas to win this thing this year. We also need him for the future. I see Frank with 4 to 6 good years left and I hope it's in a Sox uniform. Reading stories from these columnists don't give you anything but pure speculation. I see Frank back before the all-star break and maybe as an every other day DH'er to start off and doing PH duty when not in the daily line up. That's why it's good we have Everett. After the all-star break he will be in there full-time. Bank on it!

I don't think it's all bad. Frank ran hard on Friday. That's what Herm wanted to see. They can treat the pain but they need to know what the threshold is. That can only come from Frank's willingness to run hard.

He's showing that willingness. Pain & growth go hand in hand. So as much as it hurts the tendon is getting stronger. The Sox can use Frank at DH exclusively after Jun 12th. No more NL games after that. That lowers the bar for Frank's recovery.

How do you guys like the re-aquisition of Carl Everett now?

Now you see why we dealt 6 minor leaguers in 2 years for him?

Thomas coming back wouldn't create the best situation. He can't run...he's not fast, and he doesn't fit our plans. I mean yeah, he's a DH, but still...he'd be a good pinch hitter for any club IMO.

QUOTE(Beastly @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 06:16 PM)
How do you guys like the re-aquisition of Carl Everett now?

Now you see why we dealt 6 minor leaguers in 2 years for him?

Thomas coming back wouldn't create the best situation. He can't run...he's not fast, and he doesn't fit our plans. I mean yeah, he's a DH, but still...he'd be a good pinch hitter for any club IMO.

Thomas, a pinch hitter? I hope that was meant to be in green...? I think you've been listening to Harold Reynolds too much -- "All Frank does is clog the bases".

And, to whoever said that Frank would disrupt the 'good' vibes... Are you talking about the vibes of a near .300 OBP for our team? I assume it's a little higher after this weekend, but we need Frank back -- badly.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 04:11 PM)
As they say on PTI....Happy Trails to Frank Thomas.

No way man show the big guy some respect. Frank's presence in this lineup is crucial. His OBP and walks are huge and he makes everyone around him better. With thomas in the lineup konerko, dye, and rowand will all see much better pitches and get a lot more hits. We need the big guy back as soon as possible.

As for his contract since his agent isn't Boras it might make him more easily signable. After a guy like frank comes of an extended injury like this one his value is less. However since he has an option left for $10 mil then Frank will have to agree to resign a new contract. Maybe something like 2 year $12 mil should do it. He wouldn't get more than that on the free agent market, but Frank has to let his ego go and accept it. Look at guys like Alou, Vizquel, Palmero, etc. What kind of deals did they sign late in their careers like Frank is, they all make no more than about $6 mil per year.