2005 White Sox are the 2003 KC Royals

RockRaines

I have been thinking about our great start to this season and the negative reaction from sporting press. Many observers are linking our team to the 2003 KC Royals and their great start and 3rd place finish. Over achieving by the pitching staff, and lucky 1-run wins. Many people on this board are wondering if our numbers are going to come back to earth as well, especially when we have to face tough opponents in august etc.

KC win/loss splits

Month by Month

Split W L RS RA WP

March 1 0 3 0 1.000

April 16 7 122 95 0.696

May 10 19 131 177 0.345

June 15 12 155 160 0.556

July 15 11 136 125 0.577

August 13 15 146 155 0.464

September 13 15 143 155 0.464

Our April is starting to look alot like KC.

Longest Winning Streak: 9 (March 31 to April 12)

Lets all hope this is not the case, but what do you think?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we all need to just enjoy this team while we can... :)

My heart tells me that since we have four starters who are average-to-above average, and one who is below average (but has shown signs this season -- Contreras, I'm talking about), we shouldn't sustain any long losing streaks. But, things can happen over the course of 162 games that can change a team. So, I'll just take it day-by-day.

NO, this team has a true pitching staff

Mark Buerhle

Freddy Garcia

Jose Contreras

Orlando Hernandez

Jon Garland

6&7: Brandon McCarthy, Jon Adkins

Compared to...

Darrell May

Chris George

Runelvys Hernandez

Kyle Snyder

Jose Lima

6&7: Jeremy Affeldt, Jimmy Gobble

Why are so many people on this board so pessimistic?

So, if there is a downfall, you can say "I told you so" or not be too depressed??

If there is a downfall, fine...

But for now...

ENJOY!!!

ENJOY!!!

ENJOY!!!

We are playing some exciting baseball and winning!!

:gosox1:

P.S. The difference between us and the 2003 Royals is they were a young team overachieving. Beuhrle, Garcia, El Duque and even Garland have been the MLB for a long time and now how to win.

Our line-up is filled with Vets from winning teams.

:gosoxretro:

i believe the '03 royals hit about 1.000 with RISP, and a lot of their wins could be traced directly to that. last i checked we were hitting .214 or so with RISP. doesn't invalidate the comparison, but it's a start, and i'm pretty sure we won't end up quite like them.

Which Lineup would you rather have?

C - A.J. Pierzinski

1B - Paul Konerko

2B - Tadahito Iguchi

3B - Joe Crede

SS - Juan Uribe

LF - Scott Podsednik

CF - Aaron Rowand

RF - Jermaine Dye

DH - Carl Everett

Or....

C - Brent Mayne

1B - Ken Harvey

2B - Desi Relaford

3B - Joe Randa

SS - Angel Berroa

LF - Raul Ibanez

CF - Carlos Beltran

RF - Aaron Guiel

DH - Mike Sweeney

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 02:52 PM)
Apparently so....lets just enjoy the team and root for them to keep it up.

nobody is trying to be pessimistic, or not cheer for the team. Im just posting a thought pattern, and a suggestion for debate. People need to not take a good sports discussion so seriously.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 02:53 PM)
Which Lineup would you rather have?

C - A.J. Pierzinski

1B - Paul Konerko

2B - Tadahito Iguchi

3B - Joe Crede

SS - Juan Uribe

LF - Scott Podsednik

CF - Aaron Rowand

RF - Jermaine Dye

DH - Carl Everett

Or....

C - Brent Mayne

1B - Ken Harvey

2B - Desi Relaford

3B - Joe Randa

SS - Angel Berroa

LF - Raul Ibanez

CF - Carlos Beltran

RF - Aaron Guiel

DH - Mike Sweeney

ummm can i mix and match, cause im pretty sure I would take Beltran and Randa, and Berroa in his rookie season.

Is this whole f'ing site a promo for the chicken little the sky is falling crap. We are f***ing 15-4 and people feel the need to determine how we will be 70-92 at the end of the season beacuse the buffons on ESPN say so. We are not playing good and we are f***ing 15-4. The god damn Royals were lucky as s*** and were using smoke and mirrors we have a solid team they did not. Anyone with any baseball sense knows that. We have talent they did not , once again, we have talent, they did not. Same as the Reds last year or whenever the hell they were hot for one week.

Wanna know something the Orioles may hang in there with Boston and New York, why you ask? They have talent but the idiots on ESPN won't tell you this because then the Yanks and Red Sox Nation may not watch ESPN. The Royals were talentless that year, we are not.

NEWS FLASH we are not going to be 120-42 ok, we are going to lose some games. If we play at .500 clip the rest of the way, we will be in it to the end.

Jesus this site is out of control with negative crap.

QUOTE(HSC's Biggest Fan @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 03:00 PM)
Is this whole f'ing site a promo for the chicken little the sky is falling crap.  We are f***ing 15-4 and people feel the need to determine how we will be 70-92 at the end of the season beacuse the buffons on ESPN say so.  We are not playing good and we are f***ing 15-4.  The god damn Royals were lucky as s*** and were using smoke and mirrors we have a solid team they did not.  Anyone with any baseball sense knows that.  We have talent they did not , once again, we have talent, they did not.  Same as the Reds last year or whenever the hell they were hot for one week.

Wanna know something the Orioles may hang in there with Boston and New York, why you ask?  They have talent but the idiots on ESPN won't tell you this because then the Yanks and Red Sox Nation may not watch ESPN.  The Royals were talentless that year, we are not. 

NEWS FLASH we are not going to be 120-42 ok, we are going to lose some games.  If we play at .500 clip the rest of the way, we will be in it to the end.

Jesus this site is out of control with negative crap.

Midol, lots of midol. Nobody is saying the sky is falling, just bringing up something to think about, I personally think our team is vastly underrated, and that we have the chemistry and talent to take the ALC. But I was just posting something to think about and debate about. Take a breath.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 02:44 PM)
I have been thinking about our great start to this season and the negative reaction from sporting press.  Many observers are linking our team to the 2003 KC Royals and their great start and 3rd place finish.  Over achieving by the pitching staff, and lucky 1-run wins.  Many people on this board are wondering if our numbers are going to come back to earth as well, especially when we have to face tough opponents in august etc.

KC win/loss splits

Month by Month

Split            W L      RS      RA  WP

March        1 0    3    0 1.000

April        16 7  122      95 0.696

May            10  19  131  177 0.345

June        15  12  155  160 0.556

July            15  11  136  125 0.577

August        13  15  146  155 0.464

September  13  15  143  155 0.464

Our April is starting to look alot like KC.

Longest Winning Streak:          9 (March 31 to April 12)

Lets all hope this is not the case, but what do you think?

LOL!! OMFG. You think because we had a similar April to KC that we're gonna end up like them?

BUZZKILL!!!!!!!!!!

BUZZKILL!!!!!!!!!

BUZZKILL!!!!!!!!!!

If you have to stretch that far to find something negative about this team you really need to keep your mouth shut. Right now there is no legitimate argument that this team will falter so save it.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 03:39 PM)
LOL!!  OMFG.  You think because we had a similar April to KC that we're gonna end up like them?

BUZZKILL!!!!!!!!!!

BUZZKILL!!!!!!!!!

BUZZKILL!!!!!!!!!!

If you have to stretch that far to find something negative about this team you really need to keep your mouth shut.  Right now there is no legitimate argument that this team will falter so save it.

Read the rest of my posts you ranter-wanna be. I wasnt trying to be negative, just posting some information that i had seen out there. Frankie says relax

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 03:42 PM)
Read the rest of my posts you ranter-wanna be.  I wasnt trying to be negative, just posting some information that i had seen out there.  Frankie says relax

What, may I ask, is the point of such information? There is no comparison between us and the "Got no starting pitching" Kansas s***ty Royals fro 2 seasons ago.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 03:45 PM)
What, may I ask, is the point of such information?  There is no comparison between us and the "Got no starting pitching" Kansas s***ty Royals fro 2 seasons ago.

If you dont see a point in the information, then dont post under the topic. Let others have a crack at the debate. Its not that difficult of a concept. Others have chosen to refute the argument with a rational post, thats also another way to go.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 03:48 PM)
If you dont see a point in the information, then dont post under the topic.  Let others have a crack at the debate.  Its not that difficult of a concept.  Others have chosen to refute the argument with a rational post, thats also another way to go.

You still havent answered my question. How is this a valid comparison? Nothing about the '03 Kansas s***ty team and the '05 Sox is even close save for the W-L numbers in April and the fact that BBTN and the like vastly overrated them as a ball club early on then promptly forgot about them when they started to suck.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 03:50 PM)
You still havent answered my question.  How is this a valid comparison?  Nothing about the '03 Kansas s***ty team and the '05 Sox is even close save for the W-L numbers in April and the fact that BBTN and the like vastly overrated them as a ball club early on then promptly forgot about them when they started to suck.

I was comparing the win-loss record in April of the two teams, then showing the demise of the Royals after a hot start. I figured that information was clear. I for one dont think that there is much of a comparison between the two teams, I think the sox are far superior to the Royals that year. Then again I am a very biased person on the topic. I believe its been pointed out that in comparison our starting pitching is much more experienced and talented. I also think our bullpen is much superior as well. I do believe their lineup did have very good speed and baserunning ability, and they had an unknown middle infielder who came in to contribute.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 09:50 PM)
You still havent answered my question.  How is this a valid comparison?  Nothing about the '03 Kansas s***ty team and the '05 Sox is even close save for the W-L numbers in April and the fact that BBTN and the like vastly overrated them as a ball club early on then promptly forgot about them when they started to suck.

the ratio (and quantity) of runs scored vs runs allowed between the two teams is pretty close too, and i believe that tends to be a reliable predictor. dude saw a parallel and raised it for discussion. it's the kinda thing peeps do when they, you know, talk baseball. why's everyone jumping on him for that?

QUOTE(False Alarm @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 04:06 PM)
the ratio (and quantity) of runs scored vs runs allowed between the two teams is pretty close too, and i believe that tends to be a reliable predictor. dude saw a parallel and raised it for discussion. it's the kinda thing peeps do when they, you know, talk baseball. why's everyone jumping on him for that?

The quality of the '03 Kansas s***ty staff was laughable. It doesn't surprise me that their one good month was a head fake for what was to come.

The Sox will be fine. Buehrle, Garland and Garcia will each win 15 games. El Duque will win at least 10. And hopefully, Contreras can stay healthy and be consistent.

The Sox aren't going to collapse. Don't worry about it.