Official NBA Playoffs Thread

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 09:23 PM)
As a Bulls fan, how could you ever go for the pisstons?

I don't think he's a Bulls fan.

This is a dream match-up for anybody who loves defense. I suggest for anyone who likes fast paced, free flowing offensive basketball to NOT and I repeat NOT watch this series.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 11:10 AM)
I also wanted to point out how much the game has changed since the 70s and 80s.  Here are your Defensive Efficiency rankings in 1989-1990.

1. Detroit 100 rating, 98.3 PPG Allowed

2. Houston 100.8 rating, 105.3 PPG Allowed

3. Portland 101, 107.9 PPG Allowed

4. San Antonio 101.2, 102.8 PPG Allowed

5. Utah 102.4, 102 PPG Allowed

So, while Portland was one of the best defensive teams in the league, you'd never know it by looking at their PPG Allowed.  Strange times.  Even Detroit allowed close to 100 PPG, and they were arguably the greatest defensive squad in the history of the NBA.

The game has slowed down considerably from those days. I remember reading an article on how there's close to 15 less possesions on offense for each team a game than there were during those times. And you have to look at expansion. Teams were so much deeper in those days. And like somebody mentioned, shooting and overall fundamentals were better at that time.

Edited by Jordan4life_2005

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 10:23 PM)
As a Bulls fan, how could you ever go for the pisstons?

I wanted the twins to do well in the playoffs once they made it. I recall any others did too. Just because they are in our division or are our ''rival'' doesn't mean you cannot go for them in the playoffs.

I like how the pistons play basketball and most importantly i love watching great defensive basketball. I think the spurs would have finished the heat off rather easily. The pistons match up much better with the spurs therefore making it a more exciting finals than heat and spur in my opinion. Also, i would like to see the east represented once again to show once more the east is not as weak as people think it is. The east is on it's way up which is good for many reasons.

An article posted on nbadraft.net ranking the FA centers. Dalembert ranked above Curry. :ph34r:

1. Samuel Dalembert (Restricted)

Dalembert is one of the more promising center prospects in the free agent market. Thanks to a strong second half of the season and a monster opening round playoff series against the Pistons, Dalembert is in position to sign a gigantic contract. What's keeping teams hesitant at this point is his inconsistency. His performance will vacillate from "dominant" to "non-existent," sometimes within the same game. But his promise far outweighs any consistency issues. He's an outstanding young athlete with remarkable shot-blocking skills. Sixers GM Billy King is a big Dalembert fan, unlike head coach Jim O'Brien. Dalembert's future in a Sixer uniform will depend on whether King and O'Brien can see eye to eye on his contract. If not, dozens of other teams will happily pencil in Dalembert as their starting center, including the Sonics, Cavs (depending on Big Z's future), Hawks, and the Knicks (in a sign-and-trade).

2. Eddy Curry (Restricted)

If anyone says they know what to expect from Eddy Curry over the next five seasons, that person is lying. It's entirely possible he grows into an All-Star caliber pivot man, with dozens ways to score in the paint. It's also possible that his heart condition sidelines him, like it did during the Bulls' stretch run. It's even possible that Curry simply quits giving a crap after signing what's sure to be a big contract. His formidable post skills have nearly been submarined by his petulance. Few players have worse body language when things aren't going well than Curry. Also, he's a substandard rebounder for his size. But he's only 22 years old. He possesses remarkable body strength and shoots a very high percentage from the floor. Before teams start actively pursuing Curry, they'll need assurance that his health issues are behind him (hopefully, they are). If so, Atlanta would be the front-runner for Curry's services, if the Bulls decide not to match.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 11:14 PM)
I wanted the twins to do well in the playoffs once they made it. I recall any others did too. Just because they are in our division or are our ''rival'' doesn't mean you cannot go for them in the playoffs.

I like how the pistons play basketball and most importantly i love watching great defensive basketball. I think the spurs would have finished the heat off rather easily. The pistons match up much better with the spurs therefore making it a more exciting finals than heat and spur in my opinion. Also, i would like to see the east represented once again to show once more the east is not as weak as people think it is. The east is on it's way up which is good for many reasons.

Rodman shoving Pip. Bill Lambier. Deke freezing out MJ. Walking off the court.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 12:15 AM)
Rodman shoving Pip.  Bill Lambier.  Deke freezing out MJ.  Walking off the court.

Everyone is suppose to hold a grudge for 15 years? You can if you like i am not.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 11:53 PM)
The game has slowed down considerably from those days.  I remember reading an article on how there's close to 15 less possesions on offense for each team a game than there were during those times.  And you have to look at expansion.  Teams were so much deeper in those days.  And like somebody mentioned,  shooting and overall fundamentals were better at that time.

We can thank Pat Riley's Knicks for that :chair

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 07:50 PM)
I don't think he's a Bulls fan. 

This is a dream match-up for anybody who loves defense.  I suggest for anyone who likes fast paced,  free flowing offensive basketball to NOT and I repeat NOT watch this series.

Nah, qwerty's a big time Bulls fan. He pretty much watches every game.

I'll be rooting for the Spurs but I don't dislike the Pistons at all. I like the style game they play and I was rooting for them big time last year against the Lakers. As long as they aren't playing the Bulls I'm indifferent on them. Back in the early 90's and late 80's I hated the Pistons, but that rivalry isn't the same right now.

First I want to see the Bulls make the playoffs again.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 05:02 AM)
An article posted on nbadraft.net ranking the FA centers. Dalembert ranked above Curry.  :ph34r:

That really sucks that he whooped ass aginst the Pistons. His value went up to the point where he may be raking in the dough, making it next to impossible for the Bulls to get him. Oh well, I hope that he goes to the Hawks.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 06:59 AM)
That really sucks that he whooped ass aginst the Pistons.  His value went up to the point where he may be raking in the dough, making it next to impossible for the Bulls to get him.  Oh well, I hope that he goes to the Hawks.

The Hawks really need to end up with a big this off-season. Trade up for Bogut, or sign Dalember or Curry to such a big deal that the Bulls or 76ers won't match.