Official NBA Playoffs Thread

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 3, 2005 -> 11:47 PM)
Hate walker, he is extremely overated. Bad team player.  Also, i have always hated when a team does trade and then the team they traded with purposely cuts a player so that the other team can get him back. Boston fans have also had way to much to cheer about the last three years.

I like how the pacers made the playoffs when practically no one thought they had a shot. What they have don ethis year is impressive as all hell.

If you don't think Antoine's a team player, then you are flat out making baseless statements.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Spiff @ May 3, 2005 -> 10:52 PM)
If you don't think Antoine's a team player, then you are flat out making baseless statements.

He has always been known as a me first player or did this change recently?

"Antoine is a talented player. Let's get that out there first," said White, a Hall of Famer whose number has been retired by the Celtics. "But Antoine is about Antoine. You can't go anywhere without having a team. Every player has to play a role. Antoine had a problem with that.

"Just look at the Celtics history. During the (Bill) Russell years, they won 9 titles in 11 years. Then after that was over, our era, with Dave Cowens, John Havlicek, myself and others, it continued. Then after that, it was the Larry Bird era, with Kevin McHale and Robert Parish. You can't do it with one guy. You have to forget about statistics and worry only about one thing -- winning."

White felt that Walker was hurt by playing on some poor teams when he developed some bad habits that he hasn't been able to break.

"The ball moves around until it gets to Antoine," said White. "Now if Antoine made good decisions once the ball stops, that's one thing. But if he drives against two or three defenders or throws up a bad shot, it hurts the team ... We needed Antoine to tailor his skills differently and I think it was too tough for him."

White feels differently about Paul Pierce, who is also a former University of Kansas Jayhawks star.

"Paul played in a team-oriented system at Kansas," said White. "Paul can do a lot of things. He understands the importance of making other players better."

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ May 3, 2005 -> 10:55 PM)
If anything Antoine Walker is underrated because everyone just rips on the guy constantly whether he deserves it or not.  Celtics 18-9 with Walker and 27-28 without him.

When guards shoot better than you and you are 6-9 that means you are either a poor shooter or have a poor shot selection. He may be a good scorer but not a good or smart shooter. No one can even use the excuse he has had no body else on his team that can attract opposing teams attention, because it is simply not true. .539 from the free throw line? Give me a break. Not a very good threee point shooter he just shoots alot of the. Good recounder? Sure. Pretty good passer for his size too, but underated? No. Watching him play defense is also always amusing.

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 3, 2005 -> 11:03 PM)
When guards shoot better than you and you are 6-9 that means you are either a poor shooter or have a poor shot selection. He may be a good scorer but not a good or smart shooter. No one can even use the excuse he has had no body else on his team that can attract opposing teams attention, because it is simply not true. .539 from the free throw line? Give me a break. Not a very good threee point shooter he just shoots alot of the. Good recounder? Sure. Pretty good passer for his size too, but underated? No. Watching him play defense is also always amusing.

I'm not saying he is a great player, but I don't understand how a player that is ripped on by everyone and is considered to be overrated by everyone can actually be overrated. In order to be overrated it makes sense that you would have to be thought of highly in the first place.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ May 3, 2005 -> 11:05 PM)
I'm not saying he is a great player, but I don't understand how a player that is ripped on by everyone and is considered to be overrated by everyone can actually be overrated.  In order to be overrated it makes sense that you would have to be thought of highly in the first place.

Get ready for the double-team...

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ May 4, 2005 -> 04:05 AM)
I'm not saying he is a great player, but I don't understand how a player that is ripped on by everyone and is considered to be overrated by everyone can actually be overrated.  In order to be overrated it makes sense that you would have to be thought of highly in the first place.

He's overrated because he puts up huge numbers on offense, but he's not a winner. As qwerty stated, his FG%, FT%, and 3PT% in addition to his ball-hogging tendencies and absolutely atrocious defense (and not to mention a max contract) make him pretty much the last player that I'd ever want on my team in the entire NBA. Seriously.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ May 3, 2005 -> 11:05 PM)

Maybe it is because of the celtic fans who make him out to be magic johnson? I actually saw people say they thought he could average a triple double in atlanta, because he is just that good. I have seen a couple magazines that projected in the 24 points, ten rebounds, seven assists range too. That is what i call overating someone.

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 4, 2005 -> 04:09 AM)
Maybe it is because of the celtic fans who make him out to be magic johnson? I actually saw people say they thought he could average a triple double in atlanta, because he is just that good. I have seen a couple magazines that projected in the 24 points, ten rebounds, seven assists range too. That is what i call overating someone.

On the other hand, I've seen him labeled as a pig in feces (Atlanta). :D

Very entertaining game between the Kings and Sonics. Reminded me of an 80's type game. The Sonics are pretty damn underrated. They've got depth, shooters, and big guys who defend, rebound, and get physical. I think if there's one team that can take a healthy Spurs team it's the Sonics.

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 4, 2005 -> 12:03 AM)

See I knew you would say that he chucks a lot of threes, when it's not really true anymore. He only took 3-3's a game with Boston this year, which is way down from what he used to. Antoine is a much different player than he used to be, but you don't know that because you just go off of what other people say, without actually observing things first-hand. He crashes the offensive boards, he finds cutting teammates, he does a lot of the little things. But since you DON'T observe him first-hand, you wouldn't know that. Therefore, your statements are baseless. We can debate the merits of his game all day but the fact is that he wants the team to win badly. You really have no idea what you are talking about.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2004 @ May 4, 2005 -> 04:36 PM)
Very entertaining game between the Kings and Sonics.  Reminded me of an 80's type game.  The Sonics are pretty damn underrated.  They've got depth,  shooters,  and big guys who defend,  rebound,  and get physical.  I think if there's one team that can take a healthy Spurs team it's the Sonics.

Damn I was really thinking the Kings were really going to take this series with Miller and Jackson back. If I was Rick Adelman, I'd be a little worried about my job security right now. :ph34r:

Antoine Walker will turn 29 this summer. He has been in the NBA for NINE SEASONS (count 'em). I have seen enough Walker action to make me puke. To say that he is a much different player than he used to be is definitely a stretch. He still prefers to hog the ball, he'll never meet a shot that he doesn't like, and he can't play defense for s***. To say that this will change or has suddenly changed borders on absurd, as he's been in the league for sooo freaking long already. Everything is out there. He's peaking, this is it.

So he's not shooting as many 3s from like 25 feet out...I salute the man.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ May 3, 2005 -> 10:09 PM)
He's overrated because he puts up huge numbers on offense, but he's not a winner.  As qwerty stated, his FG%, FT%, and 3PT% in addition to his ball-hogging tendencies and absolutely atrocious defense (and not to mention a max contract) make him pretty much the last player that I'd ever want on my team in the entire NBA.  Seriously.

I wouldnt call him over rated, hes a solid player (career 19.8 ppg and 8.7 rpg) but hes no superstar.. Just because you dont win, I wouldnt take that out on his ability..

Iverson hasnt won s***, and hes an amazing player..

Walker does ball hawg and take some questionable shots, but I wouldnt call him over rated, just a solid player..

QUOTE(Spiff @ May 4, 2005 -> 08:30 AM)
See I knew you would say that he chucks a lot of threes, when it's not really true anymore.  He only took 3-3's a game with Boston this year, which is way down from what he used to.  Antoine is a much different player than he used to be, but you don't know that because you just go off of what other people say, without actually observing things first-hand.  He crashes the offensive boards, he finds cutting teammates, he does a lot of the little things.  But since you DON'T observe him first-hand, you wouldn't know that.  Therefore, your statements are baseless.  We can debate the merits of his game all day but the fact is that he wants the team to win badly.  You really have no idea what you are talking about.

Really time to bust out this little guy... :lolhitting

You like him and you are very, very, biased towards him, i get it.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 4, 2005 -> 03:39 PM)
Really time to bust out this little guy... :lolhitting

You like him and you are very, very,  biased towards him, i get it.

Yeah, ok. Way to counter my argument with nothing.

QUOTE(Spiff @ May 4, 2005 -> 06:24 PM)
Yeah, ok.  Way to counter my argument with nothing.

First and foremost he is not a ball hog that takes bad shots. No way. :nono

Not overpaid, plays defensive player of the year caliber defense, shoots high ass f*** percentage from both the line and the field in general. Walker is an awesome team player.

Is that what you want me to say? Everything has already been said that can said. You think if anyone reiterates it for you that you will suddenly believe it is true? If you don't want to believe it that's ok, 97% of basketball fans think so too. Not like i am making anything up, so i am not gonna lose sleep over it.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2004 @ May 4, 2005 -> 10:24 PM)
Spurs with a 10 point won over Denver.  I'm really looking forward to their match-up with the Sonics.  Sonics gave them problems all year.

Seattle's a very good team but San Antonio is the class of the west,imo. The spurs will win in 5 or 6. Then the spurs will move on to face the winner of the Dallas-Houston series in the conference finals. :)

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 4, 2005 -> 10:27 PM)
Seattle's a very good team but San Antonio is the class of the west,imo.  The spurs will win in 5 or 6.  Then the spurs will move on to face the winner of the Dallas-Houston series in the conference finals. :)

I agree that the Spurs should win, but it's teams like the Sonics that give them the most trouble. To beat the Spurs, you absolutely have to have guys who can shoot from the perimiter. Seattle has that and then some. Also, Rashard Lewis has a history of s***ting on the Spurs. I wouldn't be surprised to see this series go seven.

Edited by Jordan4life_2004